Finger on the trigger....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 PM
CruiserClass
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Finger on the trigger....

I posted this in another thread:

Test drove the competition today. I hopped in a Dodge 1500 Express and really really wanted to not like it. Unfortunately, it was AWESOME.

The Hemi really steps out, the truck looks nice, and the interior is a big step up over previous Dodge's I've looked at.

I also WANTED to test drive an F-150 but I went to Shady McShaderson's Dealership of Shadiness. I walked out without driving anything because they kept trying to get me in the office and walked me all over the lot looking for a non-existent truck.

I'm going to try another dealership later in the week. C'mon Ford, impress me!
Ford did impress me, a lot. This is a really hard decision. I drove a 2012 Ford F-150 S-cab/long bed 4x4 with the 5.0L. It doesn't have quite as much raw power as the Hemi powered Ram, most noticeable when passing on the highway BUT its got a s-cab/long bed combination which Dodge doesn't make. However the Dodge seats 6 and the inside is pretty nice as well. I also found a dealer with some 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X's left. If you know anything about Nissans, that's their equivalent of Jeep's Rubicon, their top line off roader with locking axles, etc. If I went with the Xterra I'd have to buy a trailer, but obviously plenty of room inside and with the plastic rear storage area no problem throwing a chainsaw and gas in the back. The Xterra is also the noisiest, least powerful, and most nervous on the highway with crosswinds thanks to its softer off road suspension, but its undeniably friggin' cool and a beast when the black top ends.

Here's my top 3, and prices from the dealerships for any of them range from $27,600 to $27,376, so not much spread. All are 4x4s. I don't think I have any of the dealers' "final price" yet. No trade in to muddy the waters, either.

2012 Ford F-150 S-cab long bed XLT with the 5.0. (MSRP is $39,000, its the most off sticker by far)
2012 Dodge 1500 S-cab regular bed "Express" with the 5.7. (MSRP is about $30,000, least off sticker so far)
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X with leather and ipod interface (basically the only options left to get on a Pro-4X) (MSRP is 32,000)

My cup runneth over, not a loser in the bunch. I'm going back to Ford tomorrow, if he sweetens the price too much more, the temptation may be more than I can bare...

Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Hybris
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CruiserClass
I posted this in another thread:

Ford did impress me, a lot. This is a really hard decision. I drove a 2012 Ford F-150 S-cab/long bed 4x4 with the 5.0L. It doesn't have quite as much raw power as the Hemi powered Ram, most noticeable when passing on the highway
Be sure what gears are being run as that would effect the acceleration I think Dodge offers 3.55 and 3.92 in the 1500's.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:33 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Well what would you use the vehicles for? I don't see how the Xtera would be the same as the pickups.

Have you test drove the Ecoboost? If not you should before you make a decision. When I test drove the mustang with the new 5.0...that motor was impressive.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
CruiserClass
Tuned
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Well what would you use the vehicles for? I don't see how the Xtera would be the same as the pickups.

Have you test drove the Ecoboost? If not you should before you make a decision. When I test drove the mustang with the new 5.0...that motor was impressive.
The Xterra isn't the same as the trucks, but with a trailer it can accomplish what I need. General rural land clean up duties, brush and trees and what not. Occasionally dimensional lumber. Riding mower, weedeater, garden tiller. That sort of stuff. My rural land is about 90 miles away from my primary residence, so highway performance is important as well.

Yeah, I drove the eco-boost. Plenty quick, but the 5.0 is probably the way I'll go with the Ford. Unfortunately the dealer wants to play games and the price when up about $5k today over the phone conversation last night. I hate dealers in the city, bunch of thieves, thugs, and *****s. Reminded me of one of the reasons why I drive old junk.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, go ahead and pull the trigger on that bank account - kill 'er daid as a door nail...

Just jestin' - hope you can find a good dealer. I would not buy from a dealer I did not really like. There are a few... a few.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:44 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CruiserClass
The Xterra isn't the same as the trucks, but with a trailer it can accomplish what I need. General rural land clean up duties, brush and trees and what not. Occasionally dimensional lumber. Riding mower, weedeater, garden tiller. That sort of stuff. My rural land is about 90 miles away from my primary residence, so highway performance is important as well.

Yeah, I drove the eco-boost. Plenty quick, but the 5.0 is probably the way I'll go with the Ford. Unfortunately the dealer wants to play games and the price when up about $5k today over the phone conversation last night. I hate dealers in the city, bunch of thieves, thugs, and *****s. Reminded me of one of the reasons why I drive old junk.
I you would be able to put the equipment in the back of the truck that would be the cheapest way to go without the need for the extra expense of buying a trailer. The Express package gives the Dodge a more sporty look for sure. Which one of them felt like something you could see yourself driving everyday?

Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 AM
CruiserClass
Tuned
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
I you would be able to put the equipment in the back of the truck that would be the cheapest way to go without the need for the extra expense of buying a trailer. The Express package gives the Dodge a more sporty look for sure. Which one of them felt like something you could see yourself driving everyday?
I understand your question, but its not something I would drive every day. I drive my truck about twice a month. See, I have a company car for my primary job, plus an '08 Taurus for road trips and a Victory motorcycle for screwing around. I only drive the truck when I need a truck, or the very rare occasion I need to travel fairly far, the weather is lousy and my wife needs the Taurus. (Currently, I can use the company car in my own county and any county that touches my county but I've been expecting them to nix that benefit any day now with gas prices going up and only having work related use).

There's no loser in the group. I'd be happy with any of them, although frankly none are that exciting to me either. Don't get me wrong, they are very, very nice and the improvement in power, brakes, noise, ride quality, etc is astronomical compared to my truck...but I still like driving my '78 and just can't justify how much money new vehicles are. Plus yesterday I was moving tenants out of a house so they'd be out on time (NEVER become a landlord) and scratched the bed of my truck. I immediately realized I would be extremely upset if that happened to a new vehicle I'd just dropped a bazillionity dollars on. I guess I'm not new truck material, I can either use it or keep it nice but I can't do both and that would bother me.

I'm in no hurry. I don't have a payment now and I've got plenty of vehicles to get me around. I'll find something eventually.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:44 PM
CruiserClass
Tuned
Put a deposit down on a Dodge today. This one, actually: New 2012 Ram 1500 Express For Sale in Indianapolis IN | 1C6RD7FT9CS171061

Reasons I picked this over the Fords:

1) Its painted right.
2) Its about $3500 cheaper than anything I could get from the Ford dealers with close to the same option package and a 5.0, even more for an ECO.
3) Real doors on the back instead of the clam-shell doors that require the front doors to be opened first.
4) Hemi. Its amazingly powerful.

Things I liked about the Ford more:
1) S-cab/long bed combination available. (But not with STX package...)
2) Digital display was neat.
3) Tailgate step

Toss up:
1) Interior "niceness". Both are nice looking trucks inside.
2) Noise and vibration are minimal, very car-like. Both are extremely comfy.
2) Exterior look. I liked them both quite a bit.

The Dodge was just a bit nicer, a bit more fun to drive, and cheaper. Plus its painted on the roof....

Old 03-15-2012, 07:28 PM
longboxlover
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm wondering if you could shed more light on the price you got from the ford dealer for the supercab 8' box xlt msrp 39000. how did he get down to the mid 27's? thanks!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 PM
CruiserClass
Tuned
Originally Posted by longboxlover
I'm wondering if you could shed more light on the price you got from the ford dealer for the supercab 8' box xlt msrp 39000. how did he get down to the mid 27's? thanks!
He lied. "Misunderstanding" between salesman and manager meant $4500 in rebates got counted twice. The real price was just over $31k plus he wanted to give me $3500 for a bike I sold to a motorcycle dealership for $5700 two days later.