Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Power windows and radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Coobreeze
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power windows and radio problem

I now have a 2002, 7.3, 250, 4x4 and love it. Everything but the milege. All in all it's a great ride. I have one little problem that's driven me nuts.
The power windows and the radio go out occasionally. Both at the same time. They come back on...... sometimes. Sometimes it takes a day or two. I've checked the fuses and then saw that there is a breaker in the 601 location in the fuse box that's probably causing the problem. But I thought that it was supposed to shut off to protect that circuit when there is a short somewhere. I don't know where to go or how to locate the short if in fact this is my problem. ANY HELP... ANYONE?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Pappyoutlaw44
Freshman User
Me too, sorta

I too have a 2002 7.3 PS, Mine is a F-350, DRW, CC.

My radio and windows will shut down from time to time also but just for a few seconds.

My radio will shut down after I start the engine or just turn the key to the
"on" position. It will do this for a few weeks or so, then it will NOT do this for months at a time.

There are times that the Power Door Locks will also "act" up.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not sure where your breaker is, I am looking at this and thinking plug for the GEM..

Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
once in a blue moon this happens to my truck, usually everything is back to normal in a matter of minutes.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Wire bundle in the drivers door was hitting the door plunger and shorting out. Check it out...

Just a thought.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Calli
Senior User

My driver's side window was erratic. Then radio began to stay on after ignition turned off, and would stay on. Someone suggested GEM. Installed battery disconnects for awhile, then window stopped working altogether. Had lots of moisture (say water) in window driver motor. Replaced and no more problems for approx 4-5 years now.
These things are weird!!! Good Luck, Carroll

Old 02-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Coobreeze
New User
It rained like heck today. They worked okay this morning so I got them rolled up for now. I'll look for that short tonight and see what I can find and let you know. It is becoming more frequent now so that does sound like a wire harness wearing through the insulation. Thanks for the quick get back.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Coobreeze
New User
the breaker is at location 601 on this truck. I don't think the breaker is the problem. I think it should be turning the circuit off when there is a short someplace along it's path, hence the off/on/off business.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Two by Ford
Junior User
There is an accessory delay relay. It may be loose or goin' out. I have a similar problem only at start-up. I found this thread on the SD section awhile back. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/88...-30-60sec.html Try this and see if it helps.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Coobreeze
New User
Just now getting back to this site to report that I've checked the wiring and disconnects. Still having the problem. More frequent now. I went to the site two by ford suggested. I'll mess with the "delay relay" now and cross my fingers. I don't dare roll down the windows now as it's been raining like crazy here and I'm pulling a trailer full of firewood at least twice daily. I really don't know what the heck I'm doing, but it doesn't sound too hard. I'll give it a shot and let you know. thanks e1. coobreeze

Old 03-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Coobreeze
New User
I found it........ finally. It turns out that the relay was heating up enough for the breaker to shut down the circuit. I switched the relays around to try and find a faulty breaker, as someone suggested, but they all seemed to have been okay. Then the situation got worse...... the windows and the radio wouldn't work at all. I replaced the relay for the windows/radio and left the fuse cover off. Now it doesn't heat up and the breaker doesn't trip, so it's worked so far. About a week now and it works fine.
Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Two by Ford
Junior User
Glad you found it. Which relay was that? I haven't used my truck for a couple months so I haven't pursued the problem. My cover is still setting in the back seat. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Coobreeze
New User
Doug,
That relay is #306. There are six relays that are identical. #306 is on the bottom,
right side of the group. The first time I switched it around it tested good, so I'd buy one new one if I were you and use it as a known good relay if you get my drift. I was really surprised to find out that the relays got so hot that the breaker would trip. The bad relay had a piece of plastic taped to the side of it, incidently. I assume that the former owner or some mechanic knew about the problem and taped the piece of plastic to it as a heat sheald. Who knows? I've had this truck about 5 or 6 months and love it. It had only 56,000 miles on it and is in almost show room condition with everything working fine NOW.
take care
Coobreeze
Grass Valley, CA

Old 09-30-2011, 11:44 AM
bnickchen
New User
trouble with my baby

I have a F-250 superduty.
that's driving me crazy i get in my truck and the raido & windows won't come work (everything else is working after driving for about 2-3 mile's everything starts working again, But this is not happing all the time....

Old 09-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a bit off the wall...but may help someone. My F150 was having this problem with the radio and the power mirrors and the windows. Turns out it was THE ALARM SYSTEM. Don't know why or how, because the alarm was working fine as it had for 12+ years. But, once fully disconnected, all the problems went away.

Now, this was on a F150...but possibly there could be some similarities with the Super Duties too.

Quick Reply: Power windows and radio problem