Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

NO windows or radio for 30-60sec???

Old 09-06-2009, 09:37 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Question NO windows or radio for 30-60sec???

Hey all,

Well...have an issue with my '03 F250 V10 SuperDuty. Hope someone has some idea's, because this seems really weird.

Ok...I hadn't driven my SD for over a week...maybe like 7 days. Get in...and turn the key to the 'On' position. Wait for the computer to cycle on (I just like to hear it)...and then fire up the V10. It's a HOT day...so I try and open the electric windows, but nothing happens. Then...I notice the radio is not on either. What the heck??? Ok...about 30sec or 1min passes and the windows are now working and the stereo is on. Some kind of weird time delay...???

So...here is the catch of it all. I drive to the local hardware store and all seems fine. Do my business in the store...and jump back into my SD. Fire it up...and everything is working. The windows or radio did not have that "time delay". Now...I am really confused...

So...any idea's why this is happening over a long period of not driving the truck? As to driving it often and no issue???

Sorry for the long post...but man I am confused with this?!?! All you help is much appreciated!!!

biz

Old 09-07-2009, 12:04 AM
JKBrad
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like the GEM bit the dust.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Thumbs up

The GEM? Does the 2003 SD have 1 or 2 GEM's? Any help with the location of the GEM would be GREAT too!

Thanks for the help!

biz

Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 PM
3000 FPS
Elder User
3000 FPS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I looked at the wiring diagrams for 2003 F-250 and the windows get their power starting at the central junction box F2.41. Then to the instrument cluster where there is a battery saving relay and then back to the central juction box where there is an accessory delay relay through fuse F2.601 and then to a master window adjust switch. From there the power goes out to the individual switches on the doors. Have you had your truck sitting inside or outside. Has it been raining or the truck get wet and maybe leak behind the windshield and moisture getting into the electronics on the fire wall. Just a thought. Also the only module I see in the prints is the instrument cluster for electric windows.
The radio also gets power from the central juction box starting with the accessory delay relay and the through F2.42 to the radio. It seems that maybe the delay relay is what is in common with the radio and the windows. Hope this helps.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:53 AM
biz4two
Post Fiend
Question

Thanks for the reply 3000 FPS!

The delay relay? Humm...that might be possible. However...does anyone know where it might be located???

Not much rain here in ABQ, but my SD does sit outside. If the windshield is leaking...that would be strange since I have owned my SD (purchased Used in 2005)...I have never had an issue with leaks. I will look into it...Thanks.

So...just need some assistance trying to locate this "delay relay"? Any thoughts are very much appreciated!

biz

Old 09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
3000 FPS
Elder User
The accessory delay relay is located in the central junction box which located under the dash on the drivers side. There are 9 relays there. It is the bottom one in the middle row. It should be labled accessory relay.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Grems4ever
Post Fiend
Grems4ever is a name known to allGrems4ever is a name known to allGrems4ever is a name known to allGrems4ever is a name known to allGrems4ever is a name known to allGrems4ever is a name known to all
Ok - time to ask a stupid question...

What is a GEM?

Haven't had a Ford since the early 90s so cut me some slack - I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Thread moved to the SD forum.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:38 AM
3000 FPS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Grems4ever View Post
Ok - time to ask a stupid question...

What is a GEM?

Haven't had a Ford since the early 90s so cut me some slack - I've got a lot of catching up to do.

General or Generic Electronics Module.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
Thread moved to the SD forum.
YES...Thanks Krewat!

biz

Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 3000 FPS View Post
The accessory delay relay is located in the central junction box which located under the dash on the drivers side. There are 9 relays there. It is the bottom one in the middle row. It should be labled accessory relay.
Brilliant! I will look into it this evening...

Thanks!
biz

Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
Arrow

Originally Posted by 3000 FPS View Post
First...I went to the central junction box (fuse box) and removed the accessory delay relay which is position #306. Took the part with me to a local dealer and purchased a new part. With the battery disconnected...installed new accessory delay relay. Reconnect battery and test. The issue is gone, but the REAL test will be letting the truck sit for 3 or more days.

Also...just an FYI...but while in at the central junction box...I noticed the other relays were a bit on the loose side. So...each fuse and relay got a nice little push. Which makes me think the original accessory delay relay may have been just loose. Oh well...let's see what the new relay does. Next test will be this weekend. I'll report my findings...

Thanks again...to all the folks that took the time to offer advise!

biz

Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 AM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
Biz,
I will be watching to see if this fixed your problem as my '02 does the same thing on occasion. Just did it monday coming back from a camping trip where it sat for three days (and it was drier than a popcorn fart in the desert, so moisture is no the issue). It has done it on and off for sometime, sometimes longer than others. I will go and pull the relay and reinstall to see if that helps.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:18 PM
floridafishhunt
Freshman User
floridafishhunt is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 02 also has the same issue. I will be watching to see if it occurs again.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:41 AM
racinghoss
Senior User
racinghoss is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is the EXACT issue that my '05 has. Mine has had it since about 15K miles and had been to the dealership several times for it. Since it does not do it all the time, they cannot reproduce it at the shop - so they have not fixed it under warranty.

Mine seems to do it more when it is cold out. It has only done it once all summer, but it occurs frequently when it is colder.

I will look into the GEMs. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NO windows or radio for 30-60sec???

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.