Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power windows and radio problem

Old 10-02-2011, 07:46 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.
has anyone resolved this??? mine is doing the same....tried the #306 relay and thats a no go.... GEM or instrument cluster???? rain has nothing to do with mine, maybe humidity, this is really driving me nuts and dont want to visit the dealership

Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
RussB has a good reputation on FTE.RussB has a good reputation on FTE.
Mine does the same thing.. When everything is not working.. try hitting the dash right above the radio's top left corner.. AS soon as I hit that spot the windows and radio start working instantly. Don't ask me how I figured that out :-( I got so frustrated with it happening I hit the dash.. it started working and I have done it ever since.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
Mine does the same thing.. When everything is not working.. try hitting the dash right above the radio's top left corner.. AS soon as I hit that spot the windows and radio start working instantly. Don't ask me how I figured that out :-( I got so frustrated with it happening I hit the dash.. it started working and I have done it ever since.
i know that trick,it doesnt work every time (for me) also sometimes open the door count to five,close it and it will come on,i have also turned the air off and back on and it will start working, some times nothing works and i just have to wait usally a couple of minutes, a few times up to ten minutes.. I would really like to fix this, its becoming annoying....

Old 02-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Coobreeze
New User
Coobreeze is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's been well over year now and I haven't had a bit of trouble since I removed the fuse box cover. It cured mine. The heat was causing the relay to overheat and I assume this caused the breaker to shut down the circuit that the radio and window are on.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:20 PM
ford4everr
New User
ford4everr is starting off with a positive reputation.
f350 7.3

Mines doing the same thing it start off good into like 5 minutes if driving it make a click noise in the dash and it resets it self and i cant tell how fast iam going while happens radio shuts off and window wont roll then i give it some hard throttle and dash resets again then it reset again then everything works again then after like 5 or ten minutes it does it again need help i think it is the relays because i check and the bottom right two where hot and the rest where not

Old 04-16-2015, 07:07 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
scotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to behold
Does your map light and glove box light go out when the radio and windows aren't working?

Old 04-16-2015, 08:31 PM
ford4everr
New User
ford4everr is starting off with a positive reputation.
f350 7.3

No not sure i have checked if they go out i am guessing not

Old 07-15-2015, 10:00 PM
Morleyt
New User
Morleyt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey reading this thread and I have the exact issue all the way up to and including the map lights and glove box lights out along with the windows and radio. All fuses check out and the relays don't make a difference.

Any other suggestions or experiences?

Old 07-16-2015, 07:56 AM
STROKERBO
New User
STROKERBO is starting off with a positive reputation.
WINDOWS AND RADIO

Mine also!!! whenever it happens, I just hit the top of the dash between the steering column and the radio and bammm, It all works again.. its been doing this for the last 5 years or so..
Is this the GEM Module plug?

Old 07-16-2015, 08:59 AM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Mine is doing the very same the thing. We have figured it out to be the (timer) relay in the instrument cluster. That is why tapping the top of the dash helps. I have looked into it, and currently am not willing to spend the 600.00 for a new cluster.
Its the relay, When your turn the key off, the radio,windows and dome works off of it.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
This is what I do and it works. Bad thing though is in my case, the more I bump or smack some electronic gadgets it gets worse. Just seen Joey's post above, very cool and that makes sense, thank you.....

Old 07-17-2015, 02:42 PM
CircuitBoardMedics
SPONSOR
CircuitBoardMedics has a very good reputation on FTE.CircuitBoardMedics has a very good reputation on FTE.CircuitBoardMedics has a very good reputation on FTE.CircuitBoardMedics has a very good reputation on FTE.
Cluster Issues

It is indeed an internal issue to the cluster. We are seeing a good bit of these flow through our shop for the 2002-2004 and 2005-2007. See the links below for more information.

2002 - 2004 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Repair | CBM

2005-07 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Repair | CBM

Let us know if we can help save you money with a repair over spending a small fortune at the dealership for a replacement plus programming.

We are a team of customer focused individuals that know a little bit about rebuilding FICMs, instrument clusters, GEMs, VSMs, PCMs, trailer brake controllers, and just about anything else with a circuit board inside!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:21 PM
Brian from the crypt
Junior User
Brian from the crypt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by CircuitBoardMedics View Post
It is indeed an internal issue to the cluster. We are seeing a good bit of these flow through our shop for the 2002-2004 and 2005-2007. See the links below for more information.

2002 - 2004 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Repair | CBM

2005-07 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Repair | CBM

Let us know if we can help save you money with a repair over spending a small fortune at the dealership for a replacement plus programming.
How do I know for sure that the cluster is the issue? I was going to have the dealer look at and go from there, but for sure would not buy a new cluster, would have the repair done...

Old 11-13-2015, 02:23 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
holeshotwalt is a splendid one to beholdholeshotwalt is a splendid one to beholdholeshotwalt is a splendid one to beholdholeshotwalt is a splendid one to beholdholeshotwalt is a splendid one to beholdholeshotwalt is a splendid one to beholdholeshotwalt is a splendid one to behold
There is a recent thread in the Excursion forum dealing with this exact thing- there are some good troubleshooting tips- but it very often comes back to the cluster...

Old 11-13-2015, 03:17 PM
CircuitBoardMedics
SPONSOR
CircuitBoardMedics has a very good reputation on FTE.CircuitBoardMedics has a very good reputation on FTE.CircuitBoardMedics has a very good reputation on FTE.CircuitBoardMedics has a very good reputation on FTE.
Stop smacking your dash and send those clusters in to be rebuilt!

We are a team of customer focused individuals that know a little bit about rebuilding FICMs, instrument clusters, GEMs, VSMs, PCMs, trailer brake controllers, and just about anything else with a circuit board inside!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power windows and radio problem

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.