rebuilding a 5.4 (first Time)

Old 02-14-2010, 10:25 PM
sight
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuilding a 5.4 (first Time)

My 2001 ford F150 with the 5.4 triton, had an oil pump failure last week & I'm considering rebuilding this block. I know this engine is a newer style block as opposed to the 80's models that i have rebuilt in the past. Can any one tell me anthing that i might consider upon embarking on this project? I'd be greatful for any type of rebuilding info for this block, as the haynes manual is just basic as possible. Things like web adresses to good suppliers of these 5.4 engine parts, and little known or helpful facts in removing, rebuilding and installing this engine would also be great.........thnxs guyz!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:01 AM
RentAMan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 2001

Dont do it yourself.
You just dont realize what you're getting into.
Its a lot of time and effort and frustration.
Let a good engine shop do the work for you.
They can yank it, build it and put it back in.
There is minimal room to get to everything.

I know, I just finished up on doing mine myself.
With waiting on mail order parts, it took me over
4 weeks to complete.

And $5,000 to get 100 HP & TQ.

I love it now though.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
X2
I'm with RentAMan but you do need to be informed on whats ahead on the rebuild. Try this book

Old 02-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by torkum
X2
I'm with RentAMan but you do need to be informed on whats ahead on the rebuild. Try this book

They are right, there is a lot to know and a minor mistake can cost you time and money. You need a cam holding tool or you will bend the valves just taking it apart, verifying the cam chains and guides are good can be frustrating. Correct cam timing and more will take a lot of time to learn and get right with confidence, and the list goes on and on. Take it to a shop or buy a Ford reman engine, I don't think you can beat the warrantee. Check it out.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:51 AM
z 97ford1
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I too am considering to rebuild my 97 4.6 windsor. I have the "george reid" book and a 1997 ford oem manual and have been reading about rebuilding for a while.
Seems like the biggest issue is getting a machine shop that can hold the 4 decimal place machining dimensions. Everything I read suggests to get these engines "blueprinted". Old machining practices will not work according to info.
I'm now looking for a used engine to experiment with and this means I would take the block to a "racing shop" and have them machine it.
We'll see.
Still reading and searching.
I would NEVER consider it without these books.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by z 97ford1
I too am considering to rebuild my 97 4.6 windsor. I have the "george reid" book and a 1997 ford oem manual and have been reading about rebuilding for a while.
Seems like the biggest issue is getting a machine shop that can hold the 4 decimal place machining dimensions. Everything I read suggests to get these engines "blueprinted". Old machining practices will not work according to info.
I'm now looking for a used engine to experiment with and this means I would take the block to a "racing shop" and have them machine it.
We'll see.
Still reading and searching.
I would NEVER consider it without these books.
Nearly all automotive machine shops are capable of holding the tolerances needed to machine the modular engine components to blueprint specifications
but, doing it takes much more time than a standard machine job and therefore costs a bit more money to do. Most people change their ideas when they get the cost estimate for the job and settle for a basic job which is almost always more than good enough. When you go to get estimates ask to see the shop and take note of the machinery that they use. If they have a Sunnen align hone and a Sunnen cylinder honing machine they have some of the right equipment, Sunnen also manufactures top quality valve seat and guide machines, surfacing machines are often either mills or grinders which depends entirely on the operator for the quality of the job to be done. A mill is best for aluminum and a grinder is best for iron but again, it all depends on the operator. Look at the condition of the shop and equipment. If it is dirty and appears disorganized RUN don't walk away. Also ask around and see who is using that shop's services. The engine you build depends on the precision and overall quality of the machine work that will be done. When you are there to pick up your newly machined parts have them show you, with a dial bore gage, that the cylinders and main bores are on size and that taper is within the tolerances you specified. Check everything before you accept it and make sure that you let them know you will be expecting this before you drop off your engine/parts.
I have over 20 years in the sale and service of this type of equipment and I know whereof I speak.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 PM
sight
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.k. thats wht im talkn abt .I appreciate it guys ......sounds like a hassle.......i will get tht book though....... I like a goood challenge...you know...when I got time & money.....but im just in short supply of both right now.I especially need to find the cheapest route .I guess a rebuild would also depend on what type (and Extent) of damage there is in my block.......