Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hesitating/Surging issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:17 PM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone point me to the write on how to test the pedal sensor? I have 5 wires but don't know which one to reference voltage from.. I don't have the 450 to blow for AE and don't want to spend 100 on a sensor if it's not broken.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 PM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...Econoline1.pdf

I believe this is what I have

Red / Yellow = V - Ref
Red / Green = AP Ground
Gray / White = AP Signal
Yellow / White = IVS Signal
Black / White = Key Power (Which I have no idea what that means)

V-Ref was 12v.

These tests were performed with the AP Ground and AP Signal wires.

It acted weird.. It would show - voltage with no pedal but then as I slowly pressed it would do the OL (overload) then jump to the double digits at 10-12 volts.. I could hold it where you could feel the truck shuddering but the voltage remained constant.. It didn't blank out like I thought it would.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:07 PM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
Originally Posted by flatbeder
Get in touch with Ed he's got the whole pedal assemblies dirt cheap compared to the dealer! If you find that yours is bad?

I'm thinking of just doing the TPS route.. I did put my volt meter up to it and it wasn't a smooth change.. it would slowly change, then jump to OL on the meter then be high and slowly come back down.. So I want to give it a shot at replacing that..

Now I'm trying to find "Ed" I've stumbled upon his posts before but now that I'm ready to spend money I am striking out.. Can you or anyone else point me in the right direction?

EDIT: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214072 PartsguyEd. I found em! Gunna call him in a few...

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:57 PM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
I've ben doing some more reading.. It seems some of the "grey" cps' are causing issues with phantom codes or driveability <jerking> issues..

I'm wondering if I should replace my grey one with the blue one to see if that fixes the issue..

Either way I think I'll order the pedal and sensor.. Doesn't hurt to have new parts anyways since they both are known to go out..

Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
true enough. Fit what you can in the glove box and BTW, so far I've heard decent things about the new dark blue CPS'. If you want you can get a old black CPS, most prefer that.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:23 PM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
Originally Posted by Visseroth
true enough. Fit what you can in the glove box and BTW, so far I've heard decent things about the new dark blue CPS'. If you want you can get a old black CPS, most prefer that.

I placed my order today for a dark blue cps and a new pedal assembly..

I'll change them 1 at a time to see if it fixes the issue... Either way I'll keep the grey cps in the glove box as a spare.. Even if it is the problem, I'd rather have a poorly running truck to limp home then to have a broken truck stuck on the troad..

Old 05-15-2010, 12:14 PM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
Update:

My pedal assembly and cps shipped out yesterday. ETA is Wednesday..

Last night I was driving and my Service engine soon light came on.. Stayed on for about 10 miles then went off.. Came back on during the drive home.. Tested it this morning and came up with code P0122.

P0122 = TPS. TPS is fixed by replacing the pedal assembly.

So hopefully my hesitating and jerking was a TPS going out but not bad enough to throw a code until now.. Which it would make sense.. While my buddy was backing my truck out of his driveway you could it hit hesitating/jerking a lot worse then normal.

Will keep everyone updated!

Old 05-15-2010, 02:27 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope this fixes your problem. I know you truck has been a pain with your transmission problems as well. Let us know how it works out.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:45 PM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
Originally Posted by tdpower
I hope this fixes your problem. I know you truck has been a pain with your transmission problems as well. Let us know how it works out.
No joke.. Lets hope.. Cause I have another project to throw money at.

I just bought the bronco in my sig pic back from my ex wife.. It was hers and she got it in the divorce, but hit hard times and needed money quick so I bought it back.. Thankfully..

I've got so much time and money in that thing I'd hate for someone else to have it.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:08 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Originally Posted by SpectreZ91
No joke.. Lets hope.. Cause I have another project to throw money at.

I just bought the bronco in my sig pic back from my ex wife.. It was hers and she got it in the divorce, but hit hard times and needed money quick so I bought it back.. Thankfully..

I've got so much time and money in that thing I'd hate for someone else to have it.

I may be a tard, cause i skipped ahead a few posts, but have you done the 50cent mod on your rig???...if not, that is exactly how mine acted when they popped loose...just throwing it out there...good luck...this is an old thread...hope you get it fixed soon...

Old 05-16-2010, 01:01 AM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
Originally Posted by N V US Lawn Care
I may be a tard, cause i skipped ahead a few posts, but have you done the 50cent mod on your rig???...if not, that is exactly how mine acted when they popped loose...just throwing it out there...good luck...this is an old thread...hope you get it fixed soon...
50 cent mod? U must be talking about the under the valve cover harness.. No haven't done that yet.. (However I believe my issues are with the TPS/APS)

That's next on the list of the tps and cps doesn't fix the problem.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:40 AM
kdv
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wouldnt the harness throw a ses light? Maybe not? Im curious.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 AM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
Originally Posted by kdv
Wouldnt the harness throw a ses light? Maybe not? Im curious.
One would think it should, but I don't think it does.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM
cavitation
Senior User
It seems most will get a P1316 code thrown (code stored in IDM) at some point when the plug starts working its way loose.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:43 PM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
ok.. I just checked my UPS Tracking #. It shows the parts have been delivered. I'm at work but am leaving in 15 minutes.. I'll go home and change the pedal assembly first and if that doesn't help I'll change out the Grey CPS with the Dark Blue cps.

However with the TPS code finally coming up on Satuday points to the bad Pedal assembly.. I hope I only have 1 issue and not 2.. =)

Quick Reply: Hesitating/Surging issues.