1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new axle? Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
wrdabney
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new axle? Pictures

I have my driver side hub assembly apart trying to replace the seals. When I took it apart to replace the needle bearings they were destroyed and just fell out. This is on a 2001 f250 4x4. Here are a few pics of the axle shaft. Do you think I should replace the axle?

Old 02-10-2010, 04:10 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It doesn't look too terrible, I would just clean up the shaft with some fine sandpaper to take off any rough spots.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 PM
hhcobra
Senior User

That looks just like the drivers side on my 2001 7.3 X. My needle bearings were toast and came out in powder and chunks. I ended up having to replace the hub as well as the axle stub.You probobaly should replace the U joint also. As I recall the axle stub wasn't that expensive. Good luck and HTH!!!

Fred

Old 02-10-2010, 04:20 PM
wrdabney
Senior User
Thanks for the help guys. If I do replace the axle stub (which I probably will while I have it apart) how do I get that u joint apart? I have examined it closely and I'm not real sure how to do it.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:49 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Needle bearings need a precise, smooth and hard surface to ride on or else they will fail in short order.

Mayber consider spending the extra money on the Dynatrac Free Spin kit and not have to worry about needle bearings again. Link... Dynatrac When my truck needs new unit bearings I'll probably go the Dynatrac route.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:00 PM
wrdabney
Senior User
That's a little more than I can spend right now but it does look like a very cool system. Anybody have a link for instrucions on changing out the axle stub shaft.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:12 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pull that axle out first. Give it a good yank, sometimes you have to get a screw driver or pry bar to get it out. (hopefully that was what you were wondering) After that find the c clips that are on the inside of the U joints. They are there, under all the crap and rust and dig them out. One at each joint, total of 4. Pound those babies out. If you have a press that is the easy way. A ball joint press sometimes works also. I left a lot out on the basics of pounding them out, if you haven't done U joints before I will try to help you through the process but it might be a labor of love with a keyboard, lot easier to show than verbally depict the process.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 PM
wrdabney
Senior User
i do have the axle out already. i haven't done u joints before. i didn't see the c clips. i guess they are covered in the crap you talk of. thanks for the help though. i had no idea how to get those puppies apart. that at least gets me started. so do you guys think that axle looks bad enough that it needs replacing?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 PM
MikeMcCasland
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a guide that will show you:

2004 F250 Front Axle U-Joint Replacement

Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 PM
hhcobra
Senior User

10X on what bubbasz1 said!!! It was first described to me as shocking the U joint out. It may be more accurate to say vibrating them out. While holding the inner shaft in a gloved hand between your widly spread legs, you take a BF ball peen(sp) hammer and strike the knuckle of the joint as hard as you can making sure you don't veer off and take out your knee cap!!! Keep rotating from knuckle to knuckle and you will see them start to come apart. This sounds crazy and you should see someone do this before trying it. This would be a great video for someone to post. Make sure you get the c clips out first. If you have time buy a U joint to see where the c clips are. If you try this be very careful!!!!!! HTH

Fred

Old 02-10-2010, 08:57 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by wrdabney
i do have the axle out already. i haven't done u joints before. i didn't see the c clips. i guess they are covered in the crap you talk of. thanks for the help though. i had no idea how to get those puppies apart. that at least gets me started. so do you guys think that axle looks bad enough that it needs replacing?
The splines look fine, what does the axle look like were the roller bearing ride. You can get new roller bearings at the auto parts store, slide them over to the bearing surface. It shouldn't be sloppy, the surface on the axle shouldn't be grooved, scared, pitted, you get the idea. If it's not in good shape and you have the cash replace the stub and bearing. Kind of a judgment call these days. Before if I had a problem like that and didn't have the cash, charge and replace, now it might be new $12.00 bearing, some grease and go.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 PM
wrdabney
Senior User
Originally Posted by MikeMcCasland
Here is a guide that will show you:

2004 F250 Front Axle U-Joint Replacement
mike, great link. that helps me out a lot.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 PM
wrdabney
Senior User
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
The splines look fine, what does the axle look like were the roller bearing ride. You can get new roller bearings at the auto parts store, slide them over to the bearing surface. It shouldn't be sloppy, the surface on the axle shouldn't be grooved, scared, pitted, you get the idea. If it's not in good shape and you have the cash replace the stub and bearing. Kind of a judgment call these days. Before if I had a problem like that and didn't have the cash, charge and replace, now it might be new $12.00 bearing, some grease and go.
bubba,
im not sure where the roller bearing rides on the axle or where the roller bearing actually is. could you explain. thanks for the help.
unless you are talking about the needle bearings and if so I have already replaced them.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:17 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Sorry, yes I am talking about the needle bearings, if you slide the stub in the back of the hub you will see where the bearing surface is on the stub, that specific area should be smooth, free of defects and what not. If is pretty good then you should be pretty good. But it shouldn't be sloppy loose, just a nice fit.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:17 PM
wrdabney
Senior User
also,
how can I tell if I do need to replace the u-joint. is it a good idea to just do it while I have everything apart or are there signs that can tell me its bad. sorry, i'm pretty new to this.

Quick Reply: Need new axle? Pictures