6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How do I find my engine build date?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:10 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I find my engine build date?

The sticker on the inside of my driver's side door jamb shows a date of 02/04. But I've read many times in other threads that the truck's build date doesn't necessarilly give you a good indication of the engine's build date. I've looked on the FICM, but the sticker is gone. I've seen a recommendation to look on the passenger side valve cover, but all I see there is a red sticker with no distinguishing numbers and below that a sticker that is so wrinkled and degraded that there is no retrievable info.

So how do I go about getting my engine's build date from here?

I need some advice about tuners, guages, fuel supplements, egr, etc. And I want to make sure that I provide adequate info when requesting help or advice.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Cowboy65
Elder User
If all else fails copy down your VIN number and call Ford (800-392-3673). They will not give you anything over the phone but they will send you build information by mail (unless this has been discontinued).

Old 02-10-2010, 04:27 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
If you have the original FICM on your motor, your engine build date and engine serial number will be printed on it.

Here is a post I made from some time ago:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ce-inside.html

If the sticker is gone, the serial number will be on the drivers side rear of the block. You might be able to read it with a small mirror. It will be tough.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:39 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't there something with the sticker color also? IIRC blue- which I have- is 03 motor. Didn't the sticker for early 04-up builds change to red?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
My FICM was dated 2 weeks older than my truck...makes sense. The motors are not built in the KY truck plant.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cowboy65
If all else fails copy down your VIN number and call Ford (800-392-3673). They will not give you anything over the phone but they will send you build information by mail (unless this has been discontinued).
OK, I gave it a try. The guy I talked to didn't have any new info for me, but he said he'd hand it off to research and have them call me back within 48hrs. So I guess we'll see.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
Originally Posted by bpounds
If you have the original FICM on your motor, your engine build date and engine serial number will be printed on it.

Here is a post I made from some time ago:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ce-inside.html

If the sticker is gone, the serial number will be on the drivers side rear of the block. You might be able to read it with a small mirror. It will be tough.
I saw that post, but my sticker is gone.

I guess if the Ford 'research' folks don't come through, then I'll be trying to see the back of my block with a mirror and flashlight. Is this best attempted from above or below?

Originally Posted by D8chumley
Isn't there something with the sticker color also? IIRC blue- which I have- is 03 motor. Didn't the sticker for early 04-up builds change to red?
I don't know but mine is red.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jfirstford
I guess if the Ford 'research' folks don't come through, then I'll be trying to see the back of my block with a mirror and flashlight. Is this best attempted from above or below?
I don't think there is any hope from the top. The bottom seems like the only way, and I don't know if it is possible.

I don't know but mine is red.
Which label? I thought you said it was missing.

Originally Posted by D8chumley
My FICM label has no color. Just a white sticker with black injet printing. I think you might mean the emissions label, which is on the passenger side valve cover. Mine is red. But it does not have the build date or serial number.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 AM
jfirstford
Senior User
Originally Posted by bpounds
I don't think this is any hope from the top. The bottom seems like the only way, and I don't know if it is possible.
Well then, I sure hope the Ford 'research' guys come through.

Which label? I thought you said it was missing.
My FICM has no label. It looks like there used to be one there, but it's gone now.
The red one I'm refering to is on the passenger side valve cover.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My FICM label has no color. Just a white sticker with black injet printing. I think you might mean the emissions label, which is on the passenger side valve cover. Mine is red. But it does not have the build date or serial number.
Yes the sticker on the pass valve cover. I thought mine had a build date for the engine on it of 9/03 or 10/03. I will go check quick.
EDIT: Well, I was half right. It clearly says 2003 model at the top of the blue sticker, but no month. I guess I figured it was a late 03 engine due to the door sticker being early 04 (2/04 IIRC)

Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 AM
jfirstford
Senior User
Got a call from a lady with Ford's Research Dept. She said that she couldn't find any info about my engine's build date. But she did provide me with my engine's serial number. I don't know if that will tell me much about the specifics of my engine, but I wrote it down anyway.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 AM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Where is your ICP,valve cover or under the turbo.It is on the valve cover so it is a late build you need all the parts for.IIRC the last of the 03s was put in on sept 29/03.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:23 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
I appologize yall. I made a mistake. I must have seen an image of a red engine decal somewhere and got that stuck in my head.
My engine has a BLUE decal on the passenger side valve cover and has 2004 on it. But it doesn't specify the build date in terms of what month it is.

Check it out:

Old 02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
Originally Posted by brickie
Where is your ICP,valve cover or under the turbo.It is on the valve cover so it is a late build you need all the parts for.IIRC the last of the 03s was put in on sept 29/03.
Does ICP mean Injection Control Pressure (Sensor)?
I don't know, but here's a picture. Maybe you can tell me:

Is it one of the highlighted yellow boxes in the photo?

Old 02-15-2010, 12:55 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does ICP mean Injection Control Pressure (Sensor)?
I don't know, but here's a picture. Maybe you can tell me:

Is it one of the highlighted yellow boxes in the photo?
yes it does and it is the one in the bottom yellow box. if that is your truck then you have a late build 03 or early build 04

Quick Reply: How do I find my engine build date?