How do I find my engine build date? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

How do I find my engine build date?

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How do I find my engine build date?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by jfirstford View Post
Does ICP mean Injection Control Pressure (Sensor)?
I don't know, but here's a picture. Maybe you can tell me:

Is it one of the highlighted yellow boxes in the photo?
The object you highlighted is an injector connector. If you look again you will see there are four equally spaced (per side).

To find your ICP, from your blue emissions label, look toward the front of the valve cover. The '04 and up ICP sensor penetrates the top of the valve cover, passenger side, near the front, near the glow plug module.

ICP - Injection Control Pressure

Old 02-15-2010, 02:10 PM
texans
Postmaster
texans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to behold
I thought the same thing, but he highlighted two objects the top is a injector connector, but the bottom one is the ICP

Old 02-15-2010, 02:14 PM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by texans View Post
I thought the same thing, but he highlighted two objects the top is a injector connector, but the bottom one is the ICP
Ah, my apologies. I did not see the lower box. Yep, that is it.

Here is a different view. It's the sensor right in the middle of the pic.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:24 PM
texans
Postmaster
texans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to behold
yeah I had to look twice, because when I first saw it I was going to say the same thing you did. But a secound look I seen the other box

Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Mrfun2fly
Senior User
Mrfun2fly is starting off with a positive reputation.
is this the early 04?

Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Ah, my apologies. I did not see the lower box. Yep, that is it.

Here is a different view. It's the sensor right in the middle of the pic.
This is the same as my truck, so does this mean it's an early 04?

Thanks,
Lee

Old 02-15-2010, 03:57 PM
brickie
Postmaster
brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.
Early 04 is the 03 motor.All your parts are late 04.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:08 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
jfirstford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here's some more info about my engine. These are the Service Notifications that I brought my truck in for around Nov of '05:

July 2005
Safety Recall 05S34
"Inspect and correct the fuel injection control module wire harness and, if affected, replace the injection control pressure sensor (ICP) connector"
Customer Satisfaction Program 05B29
"Replace the charge air cooler (CAC) duct"

September 2005
Emissions Recall 05E15
"Update the software in the engine control modules, and replace the Exhaust Pressure (EP) sensor and, if affected, replace the EP electrical connector"

Old 02-25-2010, 11:53 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
Sorry y'all I was visiting Austin, TX for a week. I'm back for now.

So I should refer to my engine as an early '04 build? Is that correct?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 AM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
Originally Posted by jfirstford View Post
So I should refer to my engine as an early '04 build? Is that correct?
Why not just call it an '04? We know it is not an early '03. That's what matters. Early '04 or late '04 isn't important AFAIK.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:00 AM
jfirstford
Senior User
Well, I used to call it an '04. But then, from reading other threads on the subject, I saw a lot of comments referring to a multitude of changes to the 6.0 PSD and therefore multiple versions.

I want to start another thread for advice on how to get better performance from my truck. If I seem too lazy to even do the research about my own engine then I might not be able to get good advice. Or else another FTE member might pull a Jerry McGuire on me yelling: "HELP ME, HELP YOU!, HELP ME, HELP YOU!"

Old 04-08-2015, 01:54 PM
Bob Thomas
New User
Bob Thomas is starting off with a positive reputation.
FORD ENGINE BUILD DATES

if the engine tag is still legible(usually located on the front of the left hand valve cover) the build date is listed as DD/MM/YY. It should be in the center of the tag just above the lower bar code. Mine is shown as 30 09 13. This build date is 30th day of September 2013. Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:30 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Post Fiend
Rusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputation
ICP was moved to the valve cover mid year 2004 and and stayed there thru the end of production. From first builds thru early 04 it was behind turbo by the IPR. Your truck would be referred to as a late '04.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:08 PM
jdw1
Elder User
jdw1 has a great reputation on FTE.jdw1 has a great reputation on FTE.jdw1 has a great reputation on FTE.jdw1 has a great reputation on FTE.jdw1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Wow, a 5 year old thread reopened!

Old 04-08-2015, 09:25 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Post Fiend
Rusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputation
Awww mannnnn....that's like gettin Rick Rolled! I gotta start watching those dates .

Thanks Bob.. And welcome to FTE

Old 06-06-2015, 09:00 PM
DocHouse
New User
DocHouse is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Bob Thomas View Post
if the engine tag is still legible(usually located on the front of the left hand valve cover) the build date is listed as DD/MM/YY. It should be in the center of the tag just above the lower bar code. Mine is shown as 30 09 13. This build date is 30th day of September 2013. Hope this helps.
What does REP mean on the sticker? Mine says REP 4.6 at the top. Replacement?