Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4 Wheel drive help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 04:45 PM
robles4242
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Wheel drive help

I turned my hubs clockwise as i saw on here. Put my turck in 4x4H on the dash and my front wheels wont spin like they should. The light on the dash lights up and says its in 4. I even tried 4Lo and it wont spin the front. In 4Lo the light comes on and it DOES gear my truck down like its working.

Im thinking it might be my hubs. But I have no knowledge on this subject really. Its just an educated guess. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it!

Old 02-07-2010, 04:51 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Seen your post earlier, it might be the transfer case switch not engaging..Not sure on the fix but heres an emergency bump for yaa..

Old 02-07-2010, 05:11 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

What model truck?
Make sure you can hear the transfer case solonoid engage.
You may have a vac leak at the hubs,the rubber hose is very cheezy.Do you have a vac pump and vac solonoid.My solonoid went bad so the OTF would not work.
Make sure the truck is in N when you switch to 4 low.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:17 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Just off the top of my head, if you have your hubs locked and nothing, it could be a leak in one of your hoses going to the ESOF behind the front wheels, follow your brake and ABS lines and its the other vaccum hose, make sure their not off or cracked, you'll see what I mean. The other thing is your tranfercase connection under the truck on the trans crossmember, check that out to make sure its not damaged or gunked up with snow or debris.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:44 PM
jt371
______

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With either hub locked in can you turn that axle shaft? If you lock in the hub and then reach around the tire and try turning the axle shaft you can make sure that they are actually locking in the axle shaft and hub. Also if you unlock the the hubs, with the transfercase in 4H or 4L try turning the driveshaft going to the front differnential. If it turns then your t-case is not engaging. Just a couple things to try. I haven't dealt with the elec t-case as of yet.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:45 PM
robles4242
Senior User
Its a 2000 F250 Superduty 7.3PSD.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:02 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
If you lock in your hubs manually it shouldn't matter if you have a vacuum leak. The you should have 4WD. I think you have an issue at the switch ! Turn your truck off... turn the key to on POS. (do not start) Go under the truck and have someone turn the 4X4 switch. Can you here the solenoid activate ???????????? do the tests that the guys listed above, that way you can narrow your problem down fast !

Old 02-07-2010, 10:02 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Robles, did everything we mention check out?? Hey Russ, question for yaa, even if he locks his hubs, without the transfer case providing power to the front differential, he's dead in the water, thats just locking the axles in, A'm I right on this???

Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 PM
2danglong
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love how Ford knows these are crap hubs on a questionable "auto-lock" system, so they give us the "manual lock" feature.

So thoughtful.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:26 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by big poppa
Robles, did everything we mention check out?? Hey Russ, question for yaa, even if he locks his hubs, without the transfer case providing power to the front differential, he's dead in the water, thats just locking the axles in, A'm I right on this???
Ya Mike you are correct ! If that switch isn't engaging the transfer case to drive the front axles... he is dead in the water ! What I was saying before is... if the T-case is turning the front axles but the hubs aren't engaging in the Auto position. turn them in manually ! Then it doesn't matter if you have a Vacc leak or not... those hubs are turned in and he should have 4WD !

ps.. this is why I have Warn manuals in my truck ! and I use the S*&^ out of them !

Old 02-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Westside
New User
Originally Posted by robles4242
I turned my hubs clockwise as i saw on here. Put my turck in 4x4H on the dash and my front wheels wont spin like they should. The light on the dash lights up and says its in 4. I even tried 4Lo and it wont spin the front. In 4Lo the light comes on and it DOES gear my truck down like its working.

Im thinking it might be my hubs. But I have no knowledge on this subject really. Its just an educated guess. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it!

Ive been having a similar problem, i turn the switch into 4 wheel high or low and the light comes on and says its in 4 wheel but it isnt, the tires dont spin. i got stuck in the mud today bec i thought i was in 4wheel so i had to manually click it in on the hubs and i got right out but what could the problem be?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:33 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RussB
Ya Mike you are correct ! If that switch isn't engaging the transfer case to drive the front axles... he is dead in the water ! What I was saying before is... if the T-case is turning the front axles but the hubs aren't engaging in the Auto position. turn them in manually ! Then it doesn't matter if you have a Vacc leak or not... those hubs are turned in and he should have 4WD !

ps.. this is why I have Warn manuals in my truck ! and I use the S*&^ out of them !
Ahh, got yaa, thanks Russ, I gets a little confused sometimes. I think Westside is subscribing about what your saying now..

Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Westside
Ive been having a similar problem, i turn the switch into 4 wheel high or low and the light comes on and says its in 4 wheel but it isnt, the tires dont spin. i got stuck in the mud today bec i thought i was in 4wheel so i had to manually click it in on the hubs and i got right out but what could the problem be?
If your transfer case is activating...... but your hubs aren't you more than likely have a vacuum leak and it isn't locking your hubs in the auto position. It sounds like that is your problem ! The most common spot for the problem is right behind your front wheels. There's a vacc line that you can see if you stick your head in there. Inspect those lines if you can see any holes or not. You may have to replace those lines or did like I did and cut them off and plug them. Then put in a set of warn manuals ! Depends on if you want the auto hub feature ! If you do... you have to track down your vacc leak. Does your heater controls work prefect ??? Does it change from defrost to floor to vent etc. If not thats a good sign you have a vacc leak as well ! Hope this helps !

Old 02-07-2010, 11:13 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by big poppa
Ahh, got yaa, thanks Russ, I gets a little confused sometimes. I think Westside is subscribing about what your saying now..
Correct again Mike ! I think he has a vacc issue by the sounds of that one ! Or his hubs are screwed !

Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Westside
New User
ya well my heater is working perfect but id like to keep the auto hub feature. but ya this helps thanx

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel drive help