6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Newest Spartan Member

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 PM
seanjackmc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newest Spartan Member

Hey All,
Finally bit the bullet and ordered the spartan delete kit!!!! Went for the whole package with dpf/doc delete, afe intake, and the 275 and 310 tunes. Should be here on friday!!! Thanks to everyone for the help and question answering!!
Ill give everyone my impressions asap
Sean

Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Welcome to the dark side! Man... what a difference. You are going to be in disbelief. Hey, when running the 275 and 310, are you getting the TCM? Or whatever they were recommending in order to handle all of the load?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:11 PM
seanjackmc
Senior User
I was told with 275 tune is fine as a daily driver (no towing) without the tcm. The 310 I was warned to be careful with Dont think I ll even try the 310. I might even start with the 210 or 250. Spartan told me the 275 is the best for mpg which is one of the main reasons Im getting the kit. Should be installed early next week.
Sean

Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Take my advice and stick to the 275, the 310 is a monster and is really only designed for track use which then brings in the need for the TCM. Good luck with the install and be sure to post your results because I know there are more people on here that are on the fence about getting the Spartan setup.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:06 AM
patwhite_01
Freshman User
can you run these programmers without changing out the stock air filter. The reason im asking this is because the stock air element is actually a better filtration system. I run my truck on very dusty roads in the summer months. There is about a 1-2 micron difference in the size of particle that a stock filter will filter out as opposed to an after market filter, such as an AFE. (which is what i had on my last truck). If you dont believe me call AFE yourself and they will tell you exactly what i have said here. I am very interested in the spartan programmer, mostly for better fuel efficiency and ya for more power....

Old 01-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
You can run the stock filter with everything up to and including the 210hp tune. For the 250hp and over tunes it's recommended that you get an aftermarket air filter because there have been reports that the turbos were sucking in the stock filter minders. These things need a lot of air when you wind them up to full power.

And I don't doubt for one second that a paper filter will filter finer material than an element based oiled filter will. There have been many reports and tests done that also say the stock filters allow just as much air flow as aftermarket ones do. But of course those tests are done under normal operating conditions. I changed mine out because of the high HP tunes as well as the cost savings with cleaning and re-using the filter.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:05 AM
seanjackmc
Senior User
Ill make sure to post my results for everyone. Brandon if you dont mind I saved your number incase I have problems or general questions. The folks at Spartan have been super friendly and helpful. Im a total noob and was probably asking some silly questions and they were great. I was told the kit should be here friday. So should be able to post results soon>
Sean

Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Soupordudie
New User
I just thought I liked my truck before. Added Spartan and Downpipe back 4" Flo Pro exhaust and S&B Air Filter. I am running the 210 tune and enjoying really decent milage. 20+ on a recent road trip @ 70-75mph. The power is smooth and comes on even and strong. The best part is , I am not making oil between changes as I was before. Tows great, runs cooler, more power. What a deal.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 AM
DuallyMike
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to sound like a total moron, but I'm confused. Is SCT a Spartan tune? Some of the posts I've seen list them together like they are companion products from the same company, other times it sounds like they are tunes from 2 different companies. Which is it?

Old 01-29-2010, 02:14 PM
seanjackmc
Senior User
So I ordered my kit wednesday night around 5:00pm. Got here to Mi at 11am this morning. Not too bad. Im having a fellow forum member who happens to be a ford tech help install the delete pipes tomorrow morning. I loaded up the 150hp on road tune for fun and man even that makes a difference. I can imagine what the 275 tune will do. Anyway I made a few phone calls to spartan and always had a real person answer!!!!! no menus and they were very helpful.
By the way the DD comes with all 12tunes including the 275 race and 310 race installed on the sd card. (if you pay for the race tunes) it also came with a few different custom gauge setups. So easy to hook up, I was a little intimidated after ready about downloading and licensing and file transfer ect ect. None of that plug and play!
Ill give an update tomorrow after the dpf and cat come off!!
but for now I cant tell you how great working with spartan has been I would recommend for sure.
Sean

Old 01-29-2010, 07:11 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
I don't think I have heard anyone ever complain about Spartan tuning in my 4 years of being on this forum. That is pretty amazing actually! Keep up the good work!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:14 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Brandon D
Take my advice and stick to the 275, the 310 is a monster and is really only designed for track use which then brings in the need for the TCM. Good luck with the install and be sure to post your results because I know there are more people on here that are on the fence about getting the Spartan setup.

I love the power with the 275, but the shiftin was just too firm for me. I am not an old man either. It is great when you are really laying into it, but when I am just cruising around town the tranny definitley shifts very very firm. The 210 has been a great compromise. Slightly smoother shifting, and still ***** amount of power!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:22 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have read that the TCM makes even the 275 tune much better for shifting and daily driving. Im surprised you drive daily on 210 instead of 250.