1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of a lift can I have towing a 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 PM
recs350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much of a lift can I have towing a 5th wheel

I have just recently purchased a 2010 F350 and I want to lift it and put rims and tires. I bought it, because I also prchased a 40ft 5th wheel toy hauler. I was wanting to see how much I can lift it (if at all) and still be able to tow my 5th wheel. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

D

Old 01-24-2010, 05:26 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by recs350
I have just recently purchased a 2010 F350 and I want to lift it and put rims and tires. I bought it, because I also prchased a 40ft 5th wheel toy hauler. I was wanting to see how much I can lift it (if at all) and still be able to tow my 5th wheel. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

D
My thought is to hitch up and take a close look at your bed rail clearance. This has been an issue with several RVs, even before lifting some of the new trucks. You have some points of adjustment, but keeping the toy hauler level may be difficult with much or any lift. I have seen a couple of instances where I could not come up with a simple solution.

Steve

Old 01-24-2010, 05:49 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Call me simple, but wouldn't lifting the trailer work? I realize the distance between the axles will be a limiting factor, but you might be able to gain an inch or so with taller tires.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Rush117
Senior User
Before you lift a 40' toy hauler, check the laws in the states you plan to tow it to ensure that it is not over the maximum height.

If you raise the kingpin to accommodate a lift in the truck, you'll end up with a lot less clearance between the trailer and the bed rails on the truck. This is not a problem if you stay on level ground, but as soon as you go go across train tracks on a hill, your front wheels will go down and you'll end up with a bed rails piercing your trailer...don"t ask me how I know.

My trailer sits slightly nose high on my stock F-350. I couldn't imagine lifting it and still being able to tow with it on anything other than flat terrain.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:07 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ReAX
Call me simple, but wouldn't lifting the trailer work? I realize the distance between the axles will be a limiting factor, but you might be able to gain an inch or so with taller tires.
You are right and clearly not simple. You can lift the trailer by flipping the axle or with larger wheels/tires, but in the most troublesome cases, there is so little clearance between the rails and fifth wheel in standard trim, you just can't gain enough. Where you really get into trouble is not on the level, but when you hit a steep sloop and turn at the same time. In those situations, clearance can go away quickly when the front of the fifth wheel tilts. There may be no problem at all, but it might be best to hitch and take a close look, before lifting. As you suggest, it may take a good deal more than just lifting the tuck and adjusting the pin box. Anything is possible, but sometimes the solution takes more than a person anticipates.

Steve

Steve

Old 01-24-2010, 06:09 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Rush117
Before you lift a 40' toy hauler, check the laws in the states you plan to tow it to ensure that it is not over the maximum height.

If you raise the kingpin to accommodate a lift in the truck, you'll end up with a lot less clearance between the trailer and the bed rails on the truck. This is not a problem if you stay on level ground, but as soon as you go go across train tracks on a hill, your front wheels will go down and you'll end up with a bed rails piercing your trailer...don"t ask me how I know.

My trailer sits slightly nose high on my stock F-350. I couldn't imagine lifting it and still being able to tow with it on anything other than flat terrain.
Man, I know exactly how you know I have seen numerous examples with trucks in stock trim.

Steve

Old 01-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Boris2000
Junior User
The previous owner of the 5th wheel I have flipped the axles from on top to the bottom of the springs. I left them that way , I put a leveling kit on my 01 250 and everything sits almost perfectally level. I'm sure if the trailer was lowered back to stock the rear of the trailer would be way low. You will just have to hook it up and see what it looks like you can do.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Fully_Loaded
Elder User
That is a big heavy trailer to be altering your suspension and safly tow. You start adding taller tires and raising the center of gravity it will start to be work just to keep the trailer running down the road straght IMHO. Taller tires will also stress your running gear towing a trailer that big by raising your final gear ratio. Also a 40' trailer will probably be at the max height allowable in most states due to bridge clearance.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:15 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Fully_Loaded
That is a big heavy trailer to be altering your suspension and safly tow. You start adding taller tires and raising the center of gravity it will start to be work just to keep the trailer running down the road straght IMHO. Taller tires will also stress your running gear towing a trailer that big by raising your final gear ratio. Also a 40' trailer will probably be at the max height allowable in most states due to bridge clearance.
We have a fellow locally here who will raise a trailer 3" by spacing the axle, although I do not recommend it and given he has no formal schooling in this area, I have often wondered what happens if one of these "fixes" goes amiss.

I think the starting point is simply to take a good look and a lot of measurements. Probably what we are all saying is be very careful, at least that is what I would say. There are just a lot to consider when changing things in a rig this size. Anything is possible, but not everything can be done safely. While lifting a truck some can be done with a toy hauler trailer without much problem. It takes on a whole other dimension with a fifth wheel.

Steve

Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 PM
TxFireman1972
Tuned
Here is a link to a guy pulling a lifted 5th wheel:

Lifted and Pulling a 5th Wheel! (pic) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Name:  SU1HMDAwODctMjAwOTA5MDQtMTUxMi5qcGc.jpg
Views: 54225
Size:  80.8 KB

Old 01-24-2010, 08:10 PM
recs350
New User
I think what I will do is just level the front and put some rims and tires on it. I appreciate everyone's imput.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by recs350
I think what I will do is just level the front and put some rims and tires on it. I appreciate everyone's imput.
Might be the safest way to go.

Steve

Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Fully_Loaded
Elder User
Originally Posted by TxFireman1972
Here is a link to a guy pulling a lifted 5th wheel:

Lifted and Pulling a 5th Wheel! (pic) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

That is a lower height 5th wheel. Every 40' fiver I have seen is at maximum height for bridge clearance so lifting it would put it prone to striking bridges. That one was probably a 11' height normally where as a 40' toy hauler is probably 12'6 or 13. Lift it 6" and the only bridges you can get under are interstate bridges.

Leveling the front end will probably be the safest as mentioned. Just remember if it is level, when you put the trailer on it the squat will point the headlights up and you could loose some visibility. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Choppit
New User
I know this is an old post and I am new to this site but I haven't figured out how to get in touch with topdwg. I would like to get the info you got from Lippert. I contacted Lippert today in hopes to get the same info but the person I talked to wasn't familiar with this.