1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Ignition and steering column

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:53 PM
zswiss182
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition and steering column

I have a problem,

Went to start my 85 ford F250 today. When I turned the key forward, it just turned but didn't fire. Its a diesel, so I noticed that the plugs were still cycling and the heater blower was still running. I turned the key back but everything remained on. I quickly popped the hood and disconnected the grounds on both batteries in order to cut power. Ive had similar problems before and thought that maybe the "tumbler" had worn out, because the key would turn freely back and forth with little to no resistance or "spring" like it usually has. Ive also had to adjust the ignition switch "actuating rod" before under similar circumstances. So, I popped the tumbler out to see if it was worn out or just broken, it did not show any obvious signs of damage. I did find, however, that the actuating rod that runs down the top of the column to the ignition switch seemed to be excessively loose and possibly disconnected from up inside the column around the tumbler, key switch, whatever. I dropped the column and disconnected the ignition switch and harness plug, and sure enough, it would appear that the rod is broken, or has disconnected from inside the upper column around the key switch --of which I cannot get to, it would appear, in order to inspect nor hook it back up.

Is anyone familiar with how one would go about breaking into the upper column, because it appears to be a solid one piece unit? or, am I simply left with having to replace the entire column? and if so, any tips on that process?

Jeremy

Old 01-24-2010, 04:13 PM
jason85351
Junior User
im having the same problem with an 83 f150 im putting together when i turn the key forward the truck turns over but when i realease it the motor continues to turn over even with the key fully back.... help pleaseeeeeeeeeeee

Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,367 Posts
If you have a tilt column, piece #14 is probably broken.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:36 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been a while since I've done this so bear with me. But if I remember correctly, remove steering wheel, lock cylinder, and directional cam. Then disconnect the rod from the ignition switch down the column. You should then be able to slide the toothed bar that acutator rod connects too, and the acutator rod itself out from the top of the column.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by zswiss182
I have a problem,

Went to start my 85 ford F250 today. When I turned the key forward, it just turned but didn't fire. Its a diesel, so I noticed that the plugs were still cycling and the heater blower was still running. I turned the key back but everything remained on. I quickly popped the hood and disconnected the grounds on both batteries in order to cut power. Ive had similar problems before and thought that maybe the "tumbler" had worn out, because the key would turn freely back and forth with little to no resistance or "spring" like it usually has. Ive also had to adjust the ignition switch "actuating rod" before under similar circumstances. So, I popped the tumbler out to see if it was worn out or just broken, it did not show any obvious signs of damage. I did find, however, that the actuating rod that runs down the top of the column to the ignition switch seemed to be excessively loose and possibly disconnected from up inside the column around the tumbler, key switch, whatever. I dropped the column and disconnected the ignition switch and harness plug, and sure enough, it would appear that the rod is broken, or has disconnected from inside the upper column around the key switch --of which I cannot get to, it would appear, in order to inspect nor hook it back up.

Is anyone familiar with how one would go about breaking into the upper column, because it appears to be a solid one piece unit? or, am I simply left with having to replace the entire column? and if so, any tips on that process?

Jeremy
Do you have a tilt steering wheel?

more info here
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7067888

Jim

Old 01-24-2010, 06:29 PM
zswiss182
Freshman User
It is a tilt steering wheel, also 3 speed auto.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
waywardone
New User
So what if I am having the same problem with out tilt? My truck will always try and start, I have replaced the started, wiring going to the starter, solonoid, ignition switch, and still when I connect the battery up, I get a spark and the truck tries to turn over. I am at a lost, as to what to do, I have yet to replace the tumbler, and lever thing.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:58 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by waywardone
I connect the battery up, I get a spark and the truck tries to turn over.
Disconnect the thin, red/blue-stripe wire from the solenoid and connect the
battery. If the starter turns, the solenoid is sticking internally and should
probably be replaced (though you might try rapping on it with a hammer or large
wrench and see if you can unstick it (but it may stick again in the future)).

If the starter *doesn't* turn when you connect the battery, your problem is in the
ignition switch, wiring, or neutral safety switch circuitry somewhere.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 AM
waywardone
New User
Thanks, will try tomorrow, and forgot to state, if it matters its a 302, with a 3spd auto. I did check to see if the wires were connected wrong on the solenoid, no matter which side I connect the battery to, it makes no difference. Is this normal. Sorry for the questions advid 4.6 t bird guy here, never had much trouble with the old truck in 15 years of owning