Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Dodge RAM in 2011

Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Fandini
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think one of the reasons Dodge sells manual tranny's is that their automatics had an awful reputation for not being able to hold up when bolted up to a Cummins. I know that if I bought a Dodge I would consider the manual for that reason and really only that reason. I think that since they decided to switch to an outside vendor for their HD transmission that problem may have been cleared up for the most part. Many of the new auto's have the paddle shifting technology which covers most of the reasons why people want or need manuals. Since Ford and GM don't sell many manuals any more it isn't cost effective to buy the manufacturing tools, equipment and supplies and manufacturing space that they would need to build manuals (Fixed overhead that would cost in the tens of millions of Dollars I'm sure). It would to expensive for the consumer to buy in order to offset the overhead involved in building them (Economies of Scale). That being said, you would think that they could go to an out side vendor like New Venture and buy them, which is the same thing Dodge does and is now doing with their Automatics as well. Maybe after enough people complain that will become an option?

Old 01-16-2010, 05:15 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wycowboy63
I live in ranch country. at least half of the trucks I see every day are driven buy women who have come in to town to buy the weeks, or months, groceries for the ranch. While here in town they are probably going to pick up parts, feed etc. for the husband for the ranch. They are almost all driving one of the Big 3 makes 1 ton DRW, diesel, 4x4 trucks and a lot of them are automatics. Not because these women can't drive a manual but because an auto is easier to handle in town. Their husbands trucks, for the most part anyway, are manuals.

Chris
I traded in a 2004 Dodge Quadcab ST for my current 2006 Megacab SLT. The 2004 was bare-bones except for the CDI and an auto. Manual everything. Rubber floor mats. Etc.

My dealer was in farm/ranch country in N. TX. He told me that he needed my trade because local ranch owners liked to buy bare-bones models for use by the hands on the ranch. "Nothing to break".

That includes the auto. Not everyone knows how to shift a stick. Everyone can drive an auto.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Fandini
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Automatics are easier on drive train components also, especially when people abuse the vehicle or just plain can't drive a stick. That translates to fewer warranty claims as well. But, I'm with you, when you need a manual nothing else will do. I would rather have a manual for offroading, can't tell if the tires are spinning as well with an automatic. I'm more likely to get a truck stuck with an automatic, only that manual trans gives you total feedback.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:23 PM
sinister73
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just makes no sense to me not to offer the option of a manual transmission, and no amount of speculation as to why the manufacturers are heading in this direction is ever going to convince me that it makes sense to not to continue offering them.

They (manual transmissions) offer a great many advantages over the automatic, with very few disadvantages to the automatic. The one major disadvantage of the manual transmission is that it does require more attention paid to the road in anticipation of upcoming road and traffic conditions so as to be in the proper gear, and it's not so forgiving of those who wish to drive while texting, eating, talking on a cell phone, or drinking coffee, etc - not so sure this is a real disadvantage - depends on how important all of those things are to you while driving I suppose.

Just because automatics allow for less driver involvement while actually driving, does not make them bad, it's just human nature gone bad, and automatics do facilitate this. I won't go into the endless number of advantages a manual has, - would take too long.

The popularity of diesel engines is partly to blame for the demise of manual transmissions, because there are a ton of people who've never learned to drive a manual, who desire the tough guy image that a diesel oozes, and so far, these engines have only been available to them in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I wish the diesel had been available in the half ton for these types - who at most pull a 16 ft boat around a few times per year, and pick up some mulch for the garden once a year during the spring.

So far as cost, it is ridiculously cheaper to build a strong manual as opposed to building a strong automatic, and I would bet that Ford could purchase two six speeds outsourced from ZF for cheaper than it costs them to manufacture one Torqushift in-house. There's a reason you pay the extra money for the auto.

This fact, along with the fact that epa certification (if even required above 8000 GVW) is met and paid for by the manufacturer of the transmission, leads me to believe it is'int a cost thing so much as user demand, and alot of those users making the demand, have no need for these trucks to begin with.

funny thing in most of Europe is, if you take your drivers exam in an automatic equipped car - you recieve a restriction on your license limiting you to the use of automatics only. This encourages people to learn to drive a manual so as to have no such restrictions imposed upon them, and once learning to drive the manual, many choose to stay with it.

I'm not slamming the automatic here at all, modern autos are seriously strong transmissions, equally capable in most circumstances of performing the same task as a manual in a given vehicle for which it is designed - albeit this has come at a great cost over the years, and these transmissions still require higher maintenance as well as the upfront cost.

There is no sensible reason to be rid of the manual in these trucks, and nothing will convince me otherwise. Ford taking this option away from us who prefer them, is something which simply dosent work for me.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:35 PM
sinister73
Elder User
[FONT="Times New Roman"]Just makes no sense to me not to offer the option of a manual transmission, and no amount of speculation as to why the manufacturers are heading in this direction is ever going to convince me that it makes sense to not to continue offering them.

They (manual transmissions) offer a great many advantages over the automatic, with very few disadvantages to the automatic. The one major disadvantage of the manual transmission is that it does require more attention paid to the road in anticipation of upcoming road and traffic conditions so as to be in the proper gear, and it's not so forgiving of those who wish to drive while texting, eating, talking on a cell phone, or drinking coffee, etc - not so sure this is a real disadvantage - depends on how important all of those things are to you while driving I suppose.

Just because automatics allow for less driver involvement while actually driving, does not make them bad, it's just human nature gone bad, and automatics do facilitate this. I won't go into the endless number of advantages a manual has, - would take too long.

The popularity of diesel engines is partly to blame for the demise of manual transmissions, because there are a ton of people who've never learned to drive a manual, who desire the tough guy image that a diesel oozes, and so far, these engines have only been available to them in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I wish the diesel had been available in the half ton for these types - who at most pull a 16 ft boat around a few times per year, and pick up some mulch for the garden once a year during the spring.

So far as cost, it is ridiculously cheaper to build a strong manual as opposed to building a strong automatic, and I would bet that Ford could purchase two six speeds outsourced from ZF for cheaper than it costs them to manufacture one Torqushift in-house. There's a reason you pay the extra money for the auto.

This fact, along with the fact that epa certification (if even required above 8000 GVW) is met and paid for by the manufacturer of the transmission, leads me to believe it is'int a cost thing so much as user demand, and alot of those users making the demand, have no need for these trucks to begin with.

funny thing in most of Europe is, if you take your drivers exam in an automatic equipped car - you recieve a restriction on your license limiting you to the use of automatics only. This encourages people to learn to drive a manual so as to have no such restrictions imposed upon them, and once learning to drive the manual, many choose to stay with it.

I'm not slamming the automatic here at all, modern autos are seriously strong transmissions, equally capable in most circumstances of performing the same task as a manual in a given vehicle for which it is designed - albeit this has come at a great cost over the years, and these transmissions still require higher maintenance as well as the upfront cost.

There is no sensible reason to be rid of the manual in these trucks, and nothing will convince me otherwise. Ford taking this option away from us who prefer them, is something which simply dos
ent work for me.[/FONT]

Old 01-17-2010, 05:37 PM
sinister73
Elder User
Sorry guys, first post was in a different font and so small as to need bi focals to read it lmao.. reposted for those of you who, like me, don't have an eagle's eyes anymore..

Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sinister73
Just makes no sense to me not to offer the option of a manual transmission, and no amount of speculation as to why the manufacturers are heading in this direction is ever going to convince me that it makes sense to not to continue offering them.
Ford sells trucks to make money.

The take rate on manuals is not high enough for Ford to make as much money as they want to make it worth its while.

No money = No manual.

I am sure that there are hundreds of people who want to buy a pink trucks, or a 70s appliance green trucks. But not enough for Ford to bother.

OK?

You don't have to like it. But it's just the way that it is.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 AM
sinister73
Elder User
Originally Posted by jschira
Ford sells trucks to make money.

The take rate on manuals is not high enough for Ford to make as much money as they want to make it worth its while.

No money = No manual.

I am sure that there are hundreds of people who want to buy a pink trucks, or a 70s appliance green trucks. But not enough for Ford to bother.

OK?

You don't have to like it. But it's just the way that it is.
So charge for it...

Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You CAN special order a special paint color and pay for it. Transmission choice is not the same thing. EPA and CARB certifications require a separate long-term emissions test for each powertrain combination in each GVWR class.

Business fleets stopped ordering manual tranny light trucks due to the fact that most employees wouldnt know how to drive them. That is what reduced the volume of sales below what could be justified by a high-volume manufacturer. I dont like it either, but thats the way it is.

Jim

Old 01-18-2010, 03:54 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If there were enough money in an optional manual transmission, Ford would offer one.

There is another option, which is to select a manual transmission of your choice and pay to have the appropriate components made to install it (and sell kits once the design work is done).

How badly do you want a manual? Ford won't sell them because it doesn't pay, but a private party can make it happen just as is done on race cars. Flywheels can be machined, crankshafts can be drilled for pilot bearings, clutch components are COTS items, and a custom scattershield isn't rocket science.

Have you seen an Ford Truck or Dodge commercial lately? If so, common sense would determine that they are advertising FOR the working man. ( ie, the farmer, construction worker )
That's what's called "marketing", where adverts cater to people who want to imagine being sweaty macho men so they buy products like trucks and Harleys to live their fantasy. That provides a larger vehicle pool for the rest of us, but most construction workers, weldors, etc that I've met drive beaters and don't buy new trucks.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Race cars cannot be registered for the street. Once you unplug the transmission from the PCM, what do you think will happen? It will throw CEL codes at a minimum, and maybe go into "limp mode". Even diesels are fully computer controlled.

Its not just Kalifornia that does OBD-II and other checks in order to renew the registration every couple of years. Only 500 custom constructed vehicles are allowed to be registered per year, have to contain pre-1974? major components and those slots are gone in a few minutes every January. They are inspected by a referee smog check station and no way does a modified 2010 SuperDuty qualify.

Jim

Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
You'd need a custom PCM flash, and perhaps not to live in California. (Or to buy an acre in a neighboring state for a mail drop and register any modified vehicles there.)

Californians voted for their emissions regs (which could have been simplified by being "sniffer test only with no equipment requirements", and could be CHANGED to that) and voted with their wallets in terms of manual transmissions.

I live in a state (SC) where there are no vehicle inspections, and the consequences of that are all good. It is possible (we did it) to overthrow the bureaucracy and get rid of the absurd, costly burden of yearly inspections and rely on vehicle attrition to replace the fleet with enough compliant vehicles. Democracy works if people participate.

Part of living in a regulated world is your options go away, or to get them requires investment in an emissions-legal kit. Bring money and you can have that, but expecting a vehicle maker to make things that don't sell enough to justify making them is absurd. That market niche is what the members of SEMA fill. They make a staggering variety of equipment, and would produce manual kits and get them certified if there were enough interest.

That there isn't a manual tranny kit for such extremely popular vehicles should say something.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 PM
sinister73
Elder User
So I am guessing then that Ford's decisions are always in line with what consumers are wanting and demanding, is that right? And the CEO's over at Ford headquarters are all in tune with our wants and needs, right? Well pardon my cynicism for a minute here, but I don't believe that for a minute.

Where is the diesel F150 that's been speculated and rumored about for years now? Surely there is at least marginal demand for a diesel in the number one selling truck in their entire line up? Dosent the all knowing seer over at Ford headquarters see that?

Let's get a look at GM - they were the first to put the manual on the chopping block, yet it appears they are now bringing out a manual transmission, in of all things - a Buick Regal...lol. Oh yeah, Detroit's in tune with consumers...lol. Call me the oddball, but I'd prefer a manual in only two vehicle - a pick up truck, or a sports car. Everything else - give me the auto.

We should be given MORE choices - not fewer. Where's all the efficiency we're supposed to have these days? Medium duty buyers can spec anything they like..

Anyone see that Tundra concept dually? If they are at all serious about putting that in production and using that Hino 8 liter diesel in that truck, they'd better make sure the Eaton 5 speed they teamed with it comes as base equipment, because the automatic needed to handle that engine is gonna be another 10 - 15,000.00 tacked onto it ..

Bottom line is this, if you want a manual transmission in a great looking truck, with undoubtedly the best diesel going currently - your going to Dodge.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:54 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Ford may be positioning the diesel for their more expensive lines as bait. People with diesel money won't mind paying for a larger truck with greater load capacity. Product differentiation drives tiered sales and upgrades. If light diesel sales are projected to hurt high-end sales, then to heck with the light diesel.

Of course, you COULD get an online petition to ask Ford to provide what you want and see how many signatures it gets. The internet has lots of Ford and diesel forums, so those who want a diesel with a manual box can express their desires.

Anyone see that Tundra concept dually? If they are at all serious about putting that in production and using that Hino 8 liter diesel in that truck, they'd better make sure the Eaton 5 speed they teamed with it comes as base equipment, because the automatic needed to handle that engine is gonna be another 10 - 15,000.00 tacked onto it ..
There are plenty of people with that much toy money. Make a limited edition to test the waters.
Medium duty buyers can spec anything they like..
Their business model is commercial and their customers demand that. Toy truck customers are sufficiently happly (shown by sales) with a different set of choices. Of course, when you get into expensive little trucks, why not instead do what lots of serious haulers do and buy a medium duty? The folks who haul horse trailers (for example) have some tasty conversions.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
V10_Cougar
Elder User
Originally Posted by sinister73
Title pretty much says it all.... here's why...

MANUAL TRANSMISSION...

I havent been on these boards in a long time, and well, I just decided to go checking out some info on the upcoming 2011 Super Duty, and was disgusted to see that FORD is dropping the ZF 6speed in 2011.. I had to go check other sources to verify this, because it seems so absolutely unbelievable to me that FORD would be so arrogant and disrespectful to do something so ridiculous as to divorce the Super Duty from the most masculine feature any pick up truck can possibly have.

The huge head lights were a turn off I could live with.. The untried diesel too.. But no manual transmission option? What are they thinking?

It's not even a new truck - all the body panels could be switched out, and you'd have a 99 if you wanted..

So let me see.. No real redesign.. Pokemon headlights.. Yet again another untried / unproven engine.. AND NO MANUAL TRANSMISSION OPTION?..

What exactly is supposed to be so exciting again?

Man what a bummer..

Everyone knows that the GM trucks lost their ***** option a few years ago, but never thought FORD would do the same thing in dropping the manual transmission..

Okay, to each his own, but nothing says ***** like seeing that big shifter coming out of the floor board, and nothing says brains, like seeing the third pedal, which means it's a truck made for someone who CAN walk and chew gum at the same time..

You can lift a truck, put fat tires on it, supercharge it, lower it, paint flames from hell on it, whatever, but nothing you can do to it will ever give it the testosterone that a manual transmission does - period. When you see that big gear shifter - you KNOW it's a truck - not a mini van.

So anyway, for chits n giggles, I checked out the upcoming Ram trucks - 2011's.. And while Dodge has castrated most of their trucks as well, when it comes to the Cummins trucks - lo' and behold - the 6 speed is there!

Gotta tell you guys, that new HD Ram out now, is tied with the current Super Duty for THE best looking truck out there IMO. Whats more, Dodge sells alot more manual transmission trucks for one simple fact - dealers ACTUALLY carry them on their lots!

Dodge actually gives their 6 speed more than a footnote followed by a book about the automatic in their brochure. They brag it up - lowest granny gear for better loaded launches, etc... Come 2011, they''ll also be able to brag about being the only company to still offer a manual transmission for serious haulers who work their trucks hard every day.. imagine that..

Listen guys, I'm a truck guy - not a brand guy, and I know what dosen't work for me, is an arrogant company taking away the ONE option I have to have, while still offering a plethora of silly options few people order, and which are even less cost effective to the company's bottom line.

I mean think about it, would any of you guys pick a Ford Fiesta or mini van to drive over a 2011 Dodge RAM CTD? I mean brand loyalty only goes so far right?

I predict Dodge is going to pick up alot of sales they would not have otherwise, and I hope they do, because if so, it might just be enough to cause Ford to rethink this decision..

Fire away..
Have you even taken a minute to think that maybe, just maybe these new Automatic Transmission are better then the Manual. Give the Market time react as this new model isn't even out yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge RAM in 2011