New Exhaust Thread for clarification

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Exhaust Thread for clarification

Fellas,
So in this quest for the holy grail of true duals, i am running into an interesting situation. I would like to get this done in the enxt day or two and i have the time but in dont have a way ahead for this situation. Where the drivers side exhaust corners over to the passenger side i am cutting it off around there but where to go from there. Do i shoot up and through next to the transfer case where there is minimal clearance or shoot right under the trans mount then back up a bit? my fear is the fuel lines and other misc electronics in that area. Could i use an exhaust wrap? should i bother? If you run stacks you have to go under the frame at some point right? There will be lower things under there than my 3inch exhaust so i am not worried about clearing nor do i go mudding or do i act stupid with 4wheeling. I just wanted to see what others have done to get to duals. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:21 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They are generally routed across right under the bellhousing because of the obstacles on the drivers side.
That said the most powerful and responsive idi that I have owned is the one in my highboy that had plenty of room without any obstacles after the initial bend coming off the manifolds the pipes were straight to the bumper.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just have them come out right behind the front tires lol. Use less pipe that way. Course it would turn the side of that white truck black in a hurry I'd reckon LOL

Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Because of the fuel tank and transfer case, running back the right side is easier.

For stacks up through the bed passenger side above where the stock exhaust runs, then across the bed floor and up to the stacks.

Going back the drivers side can be done, but you sure have a lot of stuff in the way.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:28 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
would there be any issues with having the extra length on the driver side if i ran it across and separate from the passenger side? Would it make it harder on the driver side?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:30 PM
JHoffman93
Senior User
Why don't you run two pipes side by side down the passenger side and then finish it off with two nice 4 inch chrome tips.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:42 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I have probably had 20 fords that run duals down the passenger side some exiting both on one side and some that crossed back over in the back without any trouble with any of them. My wrecker goes under the frame and runs up to about the center of the frame and down to right in front of the tires.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:20 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
awesome, that is all i wanted to know. Can i just use metal plumber strapping to secure them together? Would that work or is there something else i can use? I am heading to canadian tire and lordco tomorrow!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JHoffman93
Why don't you run two pipes side by side down the passenger side and then finish it off with two nice 4 inch chrome tips.

sounds good!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Plumbers tape may be a little light.
Here is what we need you to do it will take a little engineer thinking.
Run dual stacks, now here is the tricky part they will have to be just the right height in relation yo the cab and angled just right so it will pull a vacumn eliminating the need for a turbo, carefull not to pull to much unless you stud the heads.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:37 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
wreckinball & starmilt,
you've got me thinking of doing this lately:

running duals from manifolds,down the pass side,into a muffler with two inlets,and one large outlet.then an elbow to exit in front of the pass side rear tire.

i was thinking of having a custom Y fit up.but if i go turbo in the future this would be easier. probably just as good,if not better anyway.
basically duals,just joined before it exits.so only 1 muffler is needed.- i like my rides as quite as possible.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:45 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
If you think you will be adding a turbo I would go into 1 four inch pipe down the passenger then all you will have to do is the down pipe to the 4" when you go with a turbo.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:59 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Originally Posted by starmilt
Plumbers tape may be a little light.
Here is what we need you to do it will take a little engineer thinking.
Run dual stacks, now here is the tricky part they will have to be just the right height in relation yo the cab and angled just right so it will pull a vacumn eliminating the need for a turbo, carefull not to pull to much unless you stud the heads.

haha i will just stick with the reg under truck pipes. I dont think i can pass that off on the wife just yet! let her get used to it being straight piped, then we can get there with stacks. The wifes yorkies are about the throw a litter, maybe a turbo with that when we have the pups! lmao!!!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
wreckinball & starmilt,
you've got me thinking of doing this lately:

running duals from manifolds,down the pass side,into a muffler with two inlets,and one large outlet.then an elbow to exit in front of the pass side rear tire.

i was thinking of having a custom Y fit up.but if i go turbo in the future this would be easier. probably just as good,if not better anyway.
basically duals,just joined before it exits.so only 1 muffler is needed.- i like my rides as quite as possible.
i am getting there in the next few days but if you get to it before me, let me see some pics! hahaha

Old 01-10-2010, 10:08 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Nah I'm not real into stacks and a cabover cab is in the future (the reason for the dually)
But my wrecker is a supercab 79 model which is my favorite body style and I have aquired a 6.9 that will someday go in and since the wrecker body sticks out 4" on each side it will have to have stacks lol prolly strait as I just use to work no long distances anymore.

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Thread for clarification