Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

New Exhaust Thread for clarification

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i am not terribly worried about the whole thing. I just want to get my radiator replaced now, with the power boost i dont want to risk anything. i am posting up another thread on it.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:17 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
The crossover equalizes pressure on both sides and doesn't allow a resonating effect to go back up into your manifolds into the heads. IIRC, you can mess up the motor w/o a cross over pipe. I'm not sure if it applies to diesels, but I'd imagine it would... Here's a good read on crossover pipes: http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...explained.html

I ran my Ramjet 350 w/o a crossover pipe in my Jeep. After the H-pipe was installed, I noticed a significant improvement in overall response, power and it really smoothed out the exhaust.
i would.
the take off power will be better when you go with duals and join them down stream with an X or H pipe.if for nothing else,just for a smoother sounding rig.
iv done some searching,but it dosn't look like it's commonly done with diesels for some reason.but you would think,exhaust flow is exhaust flow and should benefit the same way.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:42 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
i would.
the take off power will be better when you go with duals and join them down stream with an X or H pipe.if for nothing else,just for a smoother sounding rig.
iv done some searching,but it dosn't look like it's commonly done with diesels for some reason.but you would think,exhaust flow is exhaust flow and should benefit the same way.
For sure. That Ramjet sounded really harsh before the h-pipe addition. I put the h-pipe crossover just after the header collectors and its tone was really nice after. I'll never do duals without a crossover again.

Maybe bad things happen w/o a crossover at higher RPMs.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
So here it stands, i have been working this out on paper and under the truck and the exhaust route along the drivers side is just too damn tight and i dotn want it under the skid plate and trans mount. So at long last i am going to just modify the y and run a single along the passenger side. If i run i through the gap between the transfer case and body it goes right by the fuel lines and electronics, yes i could wrap it and insulate the wires/lines but then i have a lot more hassle when removing anything in that area. Where it stands it is out of the way and at three inches of pipe i think it will be just fine. Especially when that damn T is gone and a smooth y is installed. I will have to re snag the welder if i can from my buddy but in the mean time i will leave it alone. As it stands now, am i subject to all of the issues with straight duals (where they should be x or h piped?)

Old 01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
yeah i dunno,i tend to agree with star in that,i don't think your going to hurt anything without it,but your torque gain at take off will probably be noticeable if you add one.id like to hear from people who have run duals on their IDI's for a while and added one latter,to see what they think.id be surprised if someone says they didn't notice better take off power.its not like it costs much to do it either.
yeah.way better sounding.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
FORDF250HDXLT,
Any thoughts on the above post by me, i think ours went in at about the same time.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wreckinball
So here it stands, i have been working this out on paper and under the truck and the exhaust route along the drivers side is just too damn tight and i dotn want it under the skid plate and trans mount. So at long last i am going to just modify the y and run a single along the passenger side. If i run i through the gap between the transfer case and body it goes right by the fuel lines and electronics, yes i could wrap it and insulate the wires/lines but then i have a lot more hassle when removing anything in that area. Where it stands it is out of the way and at three inches of pipe i think it will be just fine. Especially when that damn T is gone and a smooth y is installed. I will have to re snag the welder if i can from my buddy but in the mean time i will leave it alone. As it stands now, am i subject to all of the issues with straight duals (where they should be x or h piped?)
if you build a true Y (run each pipe evenly into a collector) like ford should have done,then exit into a pipe,you wont be making a dual exhaust,so there is H or X pipe to connect the two pipes too.
i really think a nice big piped setup like this would be better for pulling power in a diesel.man to bad we didn't have a dyno to play with to see proof.

tho,don't give up on duals if this is what you think is best,or what you like.

i think either way is probably so close,if done right,you wont notice a difference.

what i would think may be a waste,is running a Y and then duals from that(with a 1 in 2 out muffler).you may as well just run a big single imho.unless you want the looks of duals.
but if someone does do this,i just hope they dont keep that stock Y pipe.thats the worst part of our whole system imho.

stock vs correctly made Y pipe.

just look at how much more even that flow will be.you can just see the hp/torque gains with just doing this.

(no one makes one of these for our trucks unfortunately.just print that pic for those of us who dont have the tools to make one ourselfs and show it to your fav shop who you will have make it for you.they will need your truck to build it,and im sure put it on for you.you can then drive her home-tho loud lol,unless you bring a muffler with you with a short pipe and hang it for the ride home,and build the rest yourself,or have them continue to make the whole setup.)

Old 01-11-2010, 04:51 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my life around diesels I have never seen or known of a h or x on any v diesel configuration of any kind. including v6 cummings and detroits v8 cummings detroit international and cats or any of the v12 and v16 detroits and cats. As the guys that used v8 cats and v71 detroits were strictly after performance and the high performance fullblown race engines never have I seen an h or x in anything.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I forgot the v8 macs the guys that bought the big 8's and 12's were spending money on performance they did not balk at twin turbos so they would have tried an h or x exhaust if there was even a rumor it would provide any extra ponies.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:08 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
if you build a true Y (run each pipe evenly into a collector) like ford should have done,then exit into a pipe,you wont be making a dual exhaust,so there is H or X pipe to connect the two pipes too.
i really think a nice big piped setup like this would be better for pulling power in a diesel.man to bad we didn't have a dyno to play with to see proof.

tho,don't give up on duals if this is what you think is best,or what you like.

i think either way is probably so close,if done right,you wont notice a difference.

what i would think may be a waste,is running a Y and then duals from that(with a 1 in 2 out muffler).you may as well just run a big single imho.unless you want the looks of duals.
but if someone does do this,i just hope they dont keep that stock Y pipe.thats the worst part of our whole system imho.

stock vs correctly made Y pipe.

just look at how much more even that flow will be.you can just see the hp/torque gains with just doing this.

So where can i get one of those!? I am wondering if i should fab or find a source! Anyone know? I am going to send it to my dad too to see if he can at his shop. He does custom fabbing but he hasnt ever done exhaust. If he cant i bet the custom rig 4wheelers that get their frames powder coated and chromed by my dad will know.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
That looks like one that a member fabbed himself if you have access to a wire welder it won'y be too bad, hell we used to do them with a torch and a coathanger lol.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
oh sorry lol i was searching,looking for a dual setup i was looking at yesterday for ya for the other option.but cant find it.
it also was in a members gallery and duals don't look hard to do when run down together along the pass side frame rail,so don't rule it out if that's what you want.
we need get starmilt to post some dual setups in his gallery for us.

i edited the post above for your question about where/how to make a true free flowing Y before i saw you ask.

when i researched,i think i saw that the Banks system was the only one to make a real Y.but its a lot.
and dynomax setup makes one in their kits but its poorly shaped like the stocker!!
no doubt the cheapest route is to just have a shop make it and put it on if you cant make it.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:27 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
LMOA have you looked at stars gallery he is the dumbest member on here I dont even know how to show you a picture that is already on here.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
sounds good, i am heading home and will chat with you fellas in a few. That star character......man what a doof! J/K!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:37 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
14 carat doof. lol

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Thread for clarification