Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150

Punched Door Lock / Ford Security

Old 12-31-2009, 08:11 PM
george6488
Senior User
george6488 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Punched Door Lock / Ford Security

I have a 2009 F-150 Platinum. I don't leave my truck unattended many places but.....some bad guy punched the drivers door lock cylinder in an attempt to open or steal the truck.

They must have been scared off. I actually don't know when this attempt was made in the last week but suspect the Home Depot parking lot where I noticed two guys near my truck when I came out of the store.

Off to the Ford parts counter............the punched cylinder broke the back of the handle assembly that holds the lock. Ford mounted the lock cylinder in plastic? WTF?

The drivers door handle assembly is $193.03 and the lock cylinder is $65.09. I was just getting a quote and happened to ask a few questions. The lock cylinder is un-coded and must be coded to your key by a locksmith.......estimated cost of $75 to $100. The door handle assembly comes in black and must be painted to match.........that will be another $90.00 at the Ford body shop. They would offer any discounts. So the cost will come in around $450 to $490 (with tax) just because Ford used plastic to keep the bad guys out.

I e-mailed parts guy Ed and was able to get it all, with a painted door handle assembly, for $161 plus $17 in shipping fees. I spent $180 and was thankful.

I have also ordered, from another website, the Jimmi Jammers for the 4 doors and tailgate and that is another $145 to try and protect the Ford plastic parts and keep my truck safe. The Ford dealer parts guy cautioned me about using Jimmi Jammers as he said they are uncoated metal and will rust and screw up my doors. GREAT! Luckily..........I have a friend that does epoxy coatings and he will coat the Jimmi Jammers for me.

So how did your day go?

Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Senior User
Going_Going_Gone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
While you have the new door handle out, cinch a stainless steel hose clamp (they may come with the Jimmi Jammers) around the plastic "receiver" for the key cylinder. It will stiffen the plastic and help hold the wire key lock retainer in place.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:02 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
shotgunz is a splendid one to beholdshotgunz is a splendid one to beholdshotgunz is a splendid one to beholdshotgunz is a splendid one to beholdshotgunz is a splendid one to beholdshotgunz is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear about your truck. This type of break in is all over the F150 boards.

This is a known problem with the 150s and Expeditions. Friend of mine has had his 2008 Expy punched twice in VERY BUSY parking lots. It's so easy and quick, thieves are targeting these vehicles.

Someone will likely point out that even with the JJs, they will just break the window. Yes, but only IF they can do this without attracting attention. The JJs won't stop a thief, but they might discourage one to move on.

As to the JJ and corrosion, spray them with Fluid Film!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:01 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Wow that stinks. Sorry to hear about your truck but I'm glad they only did that much damage and didn't get the truck. Kudos on using Ed. He's a great guy and a site sponsor. +1 on the above advice and it sounds like you've already got things well in hand. This is also a known problem on the Super Duties as well and I check mine every time I come out of a store, etc. The JJs are a great tool but also remember where there's a will, there's a way. I try to keep as little as possible in my truck all the time and leave nothing out in the open....out of sight, out of mind.

There has been a rash of "smash and grabs" around here in the past several years. Being right at the intersection of two interstates, there are a lot of restaurants, motels, fast food places, and convenience stores in town right off the interstates. Most of the time here, the thieves just go up, pop the glass, and take what they want. And about 95% of the time, the items taken were in plain view from outside the vehicle. Sucks but this is what our society has become. I go by the old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". If the kids leave their backpacks or handheld games in the truck, they go behind the back seat, etc. where they can't be seen and aren't tempting to thugs passing by.

I know you probably already know this stuff and I'm not talking down to you by any means. Just after taking reports on this stuff for years, I tend to give advice where I think it might make a difference. Above and beyond everything else, I'm glad you've still got your truck and your belongings my friend. Have a great New Year!

Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I had no clue that this was a Ford weak link. I may have to spring a for a security system when I get my new one.

Tim

Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 AM
george6488
Senior User
Rant on...............

I assume that the bad guys intended to steal the truck as I don't leave anything in view except for my radar detector that is partially hidden under the rear view mirror.

If they break the glass............that will cause noise and attention that they do not want. If they get my attention.......they may have a very bad day as I am a retired LEO and usually carry.

I just feel Ford is not doing their part with security. They are making the lock assembly out of plastic rather than steel or some high-tech product. We spend $40,000+ for a vehicle and then have to spend another $300 to $400 to beef up security. I think this is very sad.

I fully understand that the bad guys will get in or get the vehicle if that is their task, they have the knowledge, and they have the opportunity. We are just trying to keep the weak out and Ford could offer a little more security in this area.

This is NOT a Ford only problem..........at least Chevy and GMC use the same type of plastic assembly to hold the lock cylinder.

Rant off................

Old 01-01-2010, 10:30 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
shotgunz is a splendid one to beholdshotgunz is a splendid one to beholdshotgunz is a splendid one to beholdshotgunz is a splendid one to beholdshotgunz is a splendid one to beholdshotgunz is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by george6488 View Post
I assume that the bad guys intended to steal the truck as I don't leave anything in view except for my radar detector that is partially hidden under the rear view mirror.
Very doubtful. The PATS system is pretty hard to defeat. Not impossible, but pretty damn hard.

I don't leave anything in view except for my radar detector that is partially hidden under the rear view mirror.
You could have money, GPS, gun, etc. in the glove box, console, under the seat, etc. That's what they're looking for.

they may have a very bad day as I am a retired LEO and usually carry.
As an LEO you know you cannot use deadly force to protect property. (I know you're rightfully angry and blowing off steam, but other members or guests may think it's acceptable to come out shooting when they catch someone breaking into their truck.) It is usually acceptable to use deadly force if someone is attempting to car jack you (you are in the vehicle).

I just feel Ford is not doing their part with security. They are making the lock assembly out of plastic rather than steel or some high-tech product. We spend $40,000+ for a vehicle and then have to spend another $300 to $400 to beef up security. I think this is very sad. This is NOT a Ford only problem..........at least Chevy and GMC use the same type of plastic assembly to hold the lock cylinder.
You are correct. It is an automobile industry problem. I have no problem with the plastic handles, but why not have the JJ or similar metal plate to protect against the type of break in? It's got to be about money because Ford knows about this weak link.

Once again, sorry about your truck.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:26 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.
Shotgunz - you would be incorrect, at least in some states. In Texas, deadly force is justified in the protection of property if:

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
The criminal committed burglary by breaking into the vehicle and is either in the commission of or fleeing from said offense. If you feel it would expose you to substantial bodily injury or death to protect or recover the property, deadly force is authorized. Texas Penal Code 9.41, as amended.

And I suspect a retired LEO probably knows the laws regarding the use of deadly force...

Old 01-01-2010, 11:33 AM
stephen.osborne1
Posting Guru
stephen.osborne1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.stephen.osborne1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Gonna move back to Texas someday... No BS.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:46 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
This thread has taken an interesting turn as most theft, vandalism, etc. threads do.

Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
Shotgunz - you would be incorrect, at least in some states.
I am not a lawyer, but I do have a CC permit. One of the primary lessons the CC classes teach is 'to use deadly force as a last resort.'

Note that I stated basically it is not "acceptable to come out shooting when they catch someone breaking into their truck." I never said you can't use a firearm to detain someone. What happens if you catch them, they stop, and start to run away? Are you telling me that you would be justified to shoot them in the back AND that you would do it in complete confidence that you would not be prosecuted or sued in civil court?

If you apply the law (or at least the part you have posted) by the letter only, I would be justified in killing someone for stealing an apple from my apple tree in the middle of the night.

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:04 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Rant on...............

If they break the glass............that will cause noise and attention that they do not want. If they get my attention.......they may have a very bad day as I am a retired LEO and usually carry.

I just feel Ford is not doing their part with security. They are making the lock assembly out of plastic rather than steel or some high-tech product. We spend $40,000+ for a vehicle and then have to spend another $300 to $400 to beef up security. I think this is very sad.

I fully understand that the bad guys will get in or get the vehicle if that is their task, they have the knowledge, and they have the opportunity. We are just trying to keep the weak out and Ford could offer a little more security in this area.

This is NOT a Ford only problem..........at least Chevy and GMC use the same type of plastic assembly to hold the lock cylinder.

Rant off................

Okay. I was not talking down to you so here's my rant. You're retired LE and I'm current LE and I'm telling you they can, will, and do break windows out every single day of the week to get into vehicles. It's very simple to buy a steel window punch, place it at the bottom corner of any of the side windows, press in, and PRESTO......broken window with very minimal noise. It happens ALL OF THE TIME...like it or not and draws much less attention than you may think.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:45 PM
pig9r
Junior User
pig9r is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
Shotgunz - you would be incorrect, at least in some states.
Many states are adopting this, it's called a fortress doctrine. And no you can't shoot a fleeing felon (Tennessee v Garner) but it basically extends the same rights citizens have to protect themselves from serious physical injury or death when defending their property. So if in the defense of your property, you perceive you or someone else is in imminent danger of serious physical harm or death, you are justified in using deadly force.

Originally Posted by shotgunz View Post
Very doubtful. The PATS system is pretty hard to defeat. Not impossible, but pretty damn hard.
Actually it can be done easily with a device that plugs into the OBDII connector. From there it is just like any other "hot wire." It is not uncommon. The difference is that there are "real" auto thieves that know what they are doing and then there are just thieves that are just looking for money, gps, etc that they can trade for dope. If they get lucky and come across a spare key then they'll take the vehicle, otherwise they are just looking for anything of value.

Originally Posted by powerstroke72 View Post
Okay. I was not talking down to you so here's my rant. You're retired LE and I'm current LE and I'm telling you they can, will, and do break windows out every single day of the week to get into vehicles. It's very simple to buy a steel window punch, place it at the bottom corner of any of the side windows, press in, and PRESTO......broken window with very minimal noise. It happens ALL OF THE TIME...like it or not and draws much less attention than you may think.
Yes very common. I have seen thieves go through at least a dozen vehicles this way in apartment complexes.

If you feel your F150 is defenseless, it is like Fort Knox compared to a GM product from the 80s or 90s. My 3 year old could pop the column and hot wire them.

I have thought about installing a jimmy jammer but I figure at the point that they have punched the key cylinder or popped the handle the damage is done, all they need to do is break the window. If they were installed on the OP's vehicle, it wouldn't have changed the end result. Bottom line, don't leave anything in your vehicle you don't want to have stolen. An alarm system is the best for deterring the average mope.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:51 PM
george6488
Senior User
Gentlemen...........

For the record, I live in Texas and am fully aware of Texas law as it applies to felons in the commission of a crime and/or fleeing. Texas is a somewhat more liberal state regarding victims rights. Crime under the cover of darkness in Texas allows virtually any defense (offense) the victim desires. Whatever your flavor.........in Texas your actions would be left to a Grand Jury of 12 men and women who are open to apply the laws based upon their understanding. The odds of indictment are about equal to being struck by lightening.

Back to the subject of this original post.......does anyone know of anything better on the after market than Jimmi Jammers? My initial thought was to eliminate the lock and go with a block off plate. That still leaves the potential for the bad guys to pry under the plastic door handle assembly and do their handiwork and for me to have a potential problem if my battery ran down.

I decided to just increase the lock assembly security and complete the job that I feel Ford should have done in the first place.

I already installed a Dyno Lock on my tailgate plus a hinge lock for the removable side of the tailgate.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.
All this security for $40,000. Boy, it sure makes me miss my old 95 even more.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Wayne64
Junior User
Wayne64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I haven't locked a vehicles door in over 40 years, and some of my stuff does sit in the street. Used cars I have gotten with alarms I have removed as soon as I could. I think I may post a note in the window that the new 2010 is unlocked after reading this. I'm crazy I guess, but in all those years I only had two break ins with no vehicle damage. lost some change and a flashlight though. like what was said here earlier if Pros want to steal it, it will go and that is what insurance is all about. If you choose to leave something flashy in the truck then it's fair game for the scum out there. JMHO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Punched Door Lock / Ford Security

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: