Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Punched Door Lock / Ford Security

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 PM
MisterScott
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As well in Texas, at night as a homeowner defending your property, you are autmatically presumed to in danger. You can pretty much fire away at night.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, only Florida and Texas do you have the right to defend your property with deadly force if necessary. In most states your property rights consist of paying your property taxes on time.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:56 PM
2manytoyz
New User
Many years ago, I spent a Summer with my grandparents. A great aunt owned a gas station, and a junkyard. My grandfather was a mechanic for the city, but would work at her station on weekends, fixing cars, or getting ones prepared to haul to the junkyard.

As a teen, this was a dream Summer... I got to wreck cars! Tear out all the wiring, remove the windshield and gas tank, blah blah.

Some of these vehicles had locked doors or trunks. If it was a POS, not worth selling parts, and no keys, I was shown how to punch out a lock with a ballpeen hammer. Usually one good thump, and the locked was pushed inside the door or truck. A screwdriver was used to push the lock over, and the mechanism inside could then be turned, opening the door or lock.

Time to do this, 5-10 seconds. There was an initial "thud", but the rest of the operation was quiet. None of the locks, door skins, or trunk lids were plastic back then.

The more common break-in method for ANY vehicle in my location is an automatic center punch. Put it in a lower corner of the window, and push until the punch snaps, shattering the glass. Surprisingly quiet! I've seen this demonstrated twice by our fire dept as a method to get into a car so the hood could be opened to extinguish a fire.

If they want in, it's painfully simple. Get good insurance, don't leave "goodies" in view inside the truck.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I got the tool boxes on the side of my cap, I don't keep anything in my little Screw. The locks on the tool boxes have three heavy duty latching points and the lock cylinders (which locks the latch mechanisms only) have been replaced with barrel cylinders; difficult to pick, even harder to punch, and imposible to jam a screw driver into and twist off with a wrench.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 PM
2manytoyz
New User
After my storage unit was broken into a few years back (along with dozens of others that night), I've done some research into better locks. Unfortunately, what I've found is less than promising.

The toughest of hardened padlocks is easily cut with a 36" bolt cutter, from my actual tests, and a lengthy discussion with the locksmith at a Govt facility.

The better padlocks have hidden shanks. Can't get a grip on them with a bolt cutter. The more effective tool is a grinder with a cut off wheel. In my test, I used a Dewalt 18V grinder, with a cheap Harbor Freight cut off wheel.

So how does this translate into recessed locks? Take a look at what the fire dept did at the same storage facility where I had the break in months later, after a fire started:

They used a big gas powered version of my grinder with a cut off wheel to slice open every storage unit along the row. Smoke poured out of ALL of the units, and they couldn't identify the source, so all were sliced open in minutes.

This same technique can be done to a tool box with the cordless angle grinder. A couple of slices, and the entire lock mechanism is bypassed. Note that the fire dept thought it would be faster to cut the doors, rather than the locks. Doors are soft compared to the lock. As is the metal of your toolbox vs. the lock.

Tougher locks are a plus, but if they're determined, it'll barely slow them down.

Having dealt with an insurance company over the theft of a popup camper, I can tell you first hand it was a major PITA. I pray nobody steals your stuff, but insurance is a necessary evil IMHO. They did finally pay up in my case.

I hope Hell has a special place for crooks...

Old 08-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Wes Ed
New User
Post Just happened to me. Need Advice in replacing

Just had my lock punched in yesterday. Need some advice on what to do next?
where to get get parts?

what parts am i going to need to replace any advice would be great. They already took me for a good sum of money so most cost efficient route is what i'm looking for

Old 08-08-2015, 08:12 AM
newfordy
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
If they want in, it's painfully simple. Get good insurance, don't leave "goodies" in view inside the truck.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If the bad guys want in they will get there. Jimmy Jammers and there is even a deadbolt system available. You can slow them down or make their entrance very noisy.
Perhaps that is why Ford came up with the "perimeter alarm", on my '14 if I open the door with the key as opposed to the remote the panic alarm will sound if not started within a certain time (Ford's temp "solution"?).

Old 08-10-2015, 04:37 PM
taxgod4u
Senior User
Originally Posted by wbyrom
I feel for you guys that the state doesnt let you carry a firearm. Here in Texas, the guys that break in cars, etc. know they stand one hell of a chance of getting shot. Happens all the time here. No charges get filed here protecting your home or property, PERIOD. And actually, you dont even have to have a conceal carry license and you can still keep your guns in your car. With a CC you can take them just about anywhere but state offices, gov offices and places like that. I hear it all the time on the news where some guys broke into a car and got shot or broke into a home and the owner was standing right there waiting for them to come it and shot them. If you have a friend you dont like, just tell him to come to Texas and try breaking into a car. You probably wont see him again. Even if a car is being repossesed and the guy repossing the car hasn't identified himself as such and he gets shot, the procecutor wont be able to charge the owner. If you have some jack a_ _ trying to run you off the road, you have to right to defend yourself and shoot if "you were in fear of your life" in that cituation. There are some boneheads on here that think its tough talk. They dont have a clue as to how things are here in Texas. And if any of you guys are from Texas, then you will know our laws here. I'v driven thru some of the states that you couldnt carry and been pulled over but showed the officer my license and weapon and have never been hassled. Knowing the laws of the state and when you have the right to protect yourself and property is a big plus and I would never live where I couldnt carry nor protect what I have. New Mexico makes you carry your weapon outside your body so it can be seen in public. Reminded me of the old western days but pretty cool....
That is the America I wish I lived in.

Here in Cali, if you mention you own a gun and go to the range on saturdays, you are likely to be called in by some overly nosey bored house wife or sisy-boy as a gun toting radical.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:16 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Here's a question.
if my lock has been "punched" do i really need to fix it?

Old 07-27-2016, 09:35 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by newfordy
If they want in, it's painfully simple. Get good insurance, don't leave "goodies" in view inside the truck.
Agreed. If the bad guys want in they will get there. Jimmy Jammers and there is even a deadbolt system available. You can slow them down or make their entrance very noisy.

Perhaps that is why Ford came up with the "perimeter alarm", on my '14 if I open the door with the key as opposed to the remote the panic alarm will sound if not started within a certain time (Ford's temp "solution"?).[/QUOTE]

My 13' does that too, first time I unlocked the door w/the key (honestly just to make sure it worked) & it gave the warning, which isn't very long BTW, I was like why the hell did they do that. But it does make perfect sense now..lol

Old 07-27-2016, 09:39 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kcantlon
Search for "F150 Handle No Key Hole" and you will find them. Pretty cool.
That would be great & look better too
UNLESS your battery dies & u can't get in to pop the hood

Old 07-28-2016, 07:05 AM
frakchered
Junior User
Originally Posted by 2manytoyz
After my storage unit was broken into a few years back (along with dozens of others that night), I've done some research into better locks. Unfortunately, what I've found is less than promising.

The toughest of hardened padlocks is easily cut with a 36" bolt cutter, from my actual tests, and a lengthy discussion with the locksmith at a Govt facility.

The better padlocks have hidden shanks. Can't get a grip on them with a bolt cutter. The more effective tool is a grinder with a cut off wheel. In my test, I used a Dewalt 18V grinder, with a cheap Harbor Freight cut off wheel.

So how does this translate into recessed locks? Take a look at what the fire dept did at the same storage facility where I had the break in months later, after a fire started:

They used a big gas powered version of my grinder with a cut off wheel to slice open every storage unit along the row. Smoke poured out of ALL of the units, and they couldn't identify the source, so all were sliced open in minutes.

This same technique can be done to a tool box with the cordless angle grinder. A couple of slices, and the entire lock mechanism is bypassed. Note that the fire dept thought it would be faster to cut the doors, rather than the locks. Doors are soft compared to the lock. As is the metal of your toolbox vs. the lock.

Tougher locks are a plus, but if they're determined, it'll barely slow them down.

Having dealt with an insurance company over the theft of a popup camper, I can tell you first hand it was a major PITA. I pray nobody steals your stuff, but insurance is a necessary evil IMHO. They did finally pay up in my case.

I hope Hell has a special place for crooks...
Oddly enough with this scenario, I had a rental unit years ago in PA I had various furniture, a friends old Kawasaki motorcycle and my wife Yamaha Raptor 350. We had the Brinks style locks you used a cut off wheel to gain entry, they actually cut the door lock out of the door, rolled up the door and stole the four wheeler left everything else. Four wheeler was recovered like 4 years later in Baltimore and sold at insurance auction.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:13 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
There is no lock yet that beats a determined crook. What you want is a lock that keeps away the crack-heads, and insurance for everyone else.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:28 PM
Ronald T
New User
Originally Posted by Wes Ed
Just had my lock punched in yesterday. Need some advice on what to do next?
where to get get parts?

what parts am i going to need to replace any advice would be great. They already took me for a good sum of money so most cost efficient route is what i'm looking for
Did you ever find parts/ price to repair this? Just got me same way. Looking for cheaper than dealer handle (205)/ paint(60) / plus install(125)