Sponsored by: Moser

2010 F150 shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 AM
bhoags
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 F150 shifting problem

I just purchaed a new 150 and I love it. I have, however, noticed something strange with the way the truck shifts. Around 40mph, probably 3rd/4th gear, I can feel a lot of back pressure on the gas pedal. I have to push harder to get a smoother/quicker shift. Also, sometimes, the truck feels like it wants to shift back and forth between gears (again, around 40-45mph) and has a hard time staying in the upper gear unless I can stay above 50 (usually not a problem at all, but on the ice that is a common speed). Has anyone else noticed either of these??

Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new truck.

Suggest you use the search function; there are lots of posts about the new 6 speed transmission. Also read your owner's manual. It provides a very good description of some of the sensations you will feel with the adaptive shift strategy.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 AM
bhoags
New User
Thanks shotgunz

I have searched the existing threads relating to shifting/trany problems. I was not able to find any with the same problem that I am having. In general, it appears that the transmissions are designed to be more sluggish or less smooth, but I just wanted to make sure that this is the norm.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:23 AM
BrianFX4
Senior User
Not sure this will help you but I'll post it anyway.

I purchased a 2009 F150 that had about 13,000 miles on it about 6 weeks ago. On initial test drive everything felt fine and even a few days after I bought everything seemed fine. Then the more I got use to the truck the more I realized the tranny felt kind of strange. A little like what you are describing. The thing that mine was doing that drove me crazy was that it would downshift kind of hard when slowing down for a light. Anyway I took it into the dealership and had it checked and everything checked out fine but they did reflash the computer as there was a new program out for the tranny and it fixed all the shifting things that I felt were strange.

So maybe take it into the dealership and make sure you have the newest program or see if they can reflash your computer.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:38 AM
bhoags
New User
Thank you Brian. I will definitely give that a try.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:47 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Page 288:
Driving with a 6–speed automatic transmission
Your vehicle has been designed to improve fuel economy by reducing fuel usage during coasting or deceleration. When you take your foot off the accelerator pedal and the vehicle begins to slow down the torque converter clutch locks up and aggressively shuts off fuel flow to the engine while decelerating. This fuel economy benefit may be perceived as a light to medium braking sensation when removing your foot from the accelerator pedal.

This vehicle is equipped with an Adaptive Transmission Shift Strategy.
The Adaptive Transmission Shift Strategy offers the optimal transmission operation and shift quality. When the engine is turned off, the shift data which includes the adaptive information will be stored automatically in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM). If the battery is disconnected for any reason, the stored information from the last time the key was turned to off will be read. This way, no information will be lost with any battery removal or battery disconnect.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM
BrianFX4
Senior User
I felt the light to medium brakimg sensation which was fine it was the hard (and I mean hard) down shift from one gear to the next that was driving me crazy. When the dealership did a reflash it stopped that hard down shift. I can still feel the braking sensation.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 PM
ohboy44
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my truck 10 days ago and I felt the same thing since I've had it.
Right about 40 mph and at a steady throttle it feels like it's shifting between 2 gears, almost like the trans is slipping. I can see this on the tach as well as it will vary a few hundred rpm's. I'm hoping the adaptive transmission shift strategy will take care of this as I drive it more.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Sugarbear
Freshman User
The thing that mine was doing that drove me crazy was that it would downshift kind of hard when slowing down for a light. Anyway I took it into the dealership and had it checked and everything checked out fine but they did reflash the computer as there was a new program out for the tranny and it fixed all the shifting things that I felt were strange.

So maybe take it into the dealership and make sure you have the newest program or see if they can reflash your computer.[/quote]

BrianFX4 : I have the same tranny issue with my '09 Screw with 2100 miles, guess maybe I need to take it into the dealer for re-flash as well ?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:54 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
my 09 tranny has been fine, the only thing I notice is the harsh 2-1 downshift, but it only happens once every couple of weeks. I did mention the reflash to my dealer and he warned me that several people have complained afterwards about their truck feeling less powerful. he told me the reflash actually reduces the truck's power somewhat so it doesn't shift as hard. Any truth to that? Anyone else actually feel a loss of power after the transmission reflash?

Old 12-31-2009, 02:03 PM
Sugarbear
Freshman User
I did mention the reflash to my dealer and he warned me that several people have complained afterwards about their truck feeling less powerful. he told me the reflash actually reduces the truck's power somewhat so it doesn't shift as hard. Any truth to that?

Not real crazy about the power loss, thats for sure

Old 12-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
my 09 tranny has been fine, the only thing I notice is the harsh 2-1 downshift, but it only happens once every couple of weeks. I did mention the reflash to my dealer and he warned me that several people have complained afterwards about their truck feeling less powerful. he told me the reflash actually reduces the truck's power somewhat so it doesn't shift as hard. Any truth to that? Anyone else actually feel a loss of power after the transmission reflash?

Had mine re flashed and NO power loss is noticed. Just smooth shifts now!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
Perhaps what they were talking about is torque management during the shift so that the shift does not feel as harsh.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 AM
BrianFX4
Senior User
Yeah I have not felt any power loss at all on mine just smooth shifting after as well.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:22 PM
khogle2
New User
yes. i have experienced the same issue. as you feather the throttle, it downshifts for a split second and then goes back into the higher gear. or it may be torque convt unlock and lock. i dont think its an issue for durability. mine is a 2010 too, so if there are complaints on this, it will take them a couple of months to develop a reflash. thats how these things are fixed. interestingly, my 6speed in my 2008 denali has the same issue on decel about 30 mph, but it actually clunks pretty good when it happens. FYI the F150 is really nice, best truck ever

Quick Reply: 2010 F150 shifting problem