1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Burp the radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:15 PM
swamp man
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burp the radiator?

I saw reference to this while readin through some old threads, but it wasn't explained.

I replaced a cracked radiator with a new one on my 2000 model B2500 a coupla' days ago, guessing at the refill, as I just got the truck and don't have a manual. Guestimate was pretty close, but I got some weirdness from the temp gauge for a bit. Temp gauge read cold (even though it was maybe sixty degrees outside) after idling for quite a bit, but would rise to operating temp if I ran the RPM's up a bit, then fall back to cold when I let it drop back down to idle.....never rose to above normal operating temperature, though. I took a short drive down the road, stayed at normal temp, but dropped back down to cold when I parked it. Taking a peek under the hood, had air blowing out into the resevoir, bubbling like bathtub farts. All appears to be normal today, but I've gotta' take this truck for a roadtrip in a coupla' days and would like to make sure I ain't missed a step that'll send me hikin'.

Can anyone explain the process of burping the radiator so's I can be sure it's all good?

TKS

Old 12-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If everything is working OK, then the system should rid itself of air on its own. Did you check the coolant level this morning when the engine was cold and top it off?

Getting it up to operating temperature, letting it cool completely, then topping off the reservoir and radiator, is as good a way as any to rid the system of air.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:45 PM
swamp man
New User
Originally Posted by Rockledge

Getting it up to operating temperature, letting it cool completely, then topping off the reservoir and radiator, is as good a way as any to rid the system of air.
Okay, that's what I did.

Thanks much for the reply and the peace of mind.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Check it a couple of more mornings, make sure it's topped off, and you should be just fine.

Good luck with the road trip, drive safely.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Sounds like the radiator cap is functioning properly, with it burping air into the recovery tank.

If you'll park & run the vehicle after it's fully warmed up, at fast idle, say 1500-2000 rpm, with the front end up hill so the radiator is the high point in the system, then with the front end remaining elevated, turn the engine off & let it completely cool down.

That'll encourage any trapped air in the cooling system to migrate to the radiator, so the radator cap can burp the air out & the recovery tank if properly filled, will refill/top off the radiator as the system cools down & sucks coolant out of the recovery tank, past the radiator cap back into the radiator.

Sometimes air gets trapped in the heater core & is difficult to expell & this proceedure will help get it out. As Rockledge has said, do this several times & watch the recovery tank level & top off as it drops.
When the recovery tank level remains stable, the system has burped all the air out & is full. Parking with the front end uphill just helps the burping process along & you'll want the system fully burped, so it won't spit up, during your upcoming trip.

Look in the "Tech Info" page atop this forum & sroll down toward the bottom in the Misc. section to find a link to Fleet.Ford & you can download an owners manual there.

Good luck on your trip, let us know how the burp session goes.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 PM
swamp man
New User
Originally Posted by pawpaw

Good luck on your trip, let us know how the burp session goes.
Thanks much, fellas. I done what y'all told me, and all appears well.

Gettin' this little Mazda tip-top has become a priority as of late, 'cuz I got laid off a while back, and along with losing a steady paycheck, lost the use of a company truck. I live way in the boonies, too, so if I'm on the side of the road, there ain't a bus to catch, ya' know?

Headed out on my trip. My girlfriend works offshore and just got turned loose from the boat after six horrendously long weeks, so I'm headed to her place on the coast. Y'all keep your fingers crossed I don't break down near Poplarville, as those sumbiaches have a habit of throwin' me in jail for no reason.

Thanks again for the help. It's a great forum y'all have here, and it's real dang decent of you experts to take a little time to keep the rest of us off the side of the road.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:26 PM
mreilly24
New User

Last edited by mreilly24; 12-29-2014 at 11:32 PM. Reason: entered my message on the wrong post. have too many pages open on my phone