Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ICP duty cycle 67%, ICP 70psi - no wonder it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:37 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,910 Likes on 1,153 Posts
Its not getting better. I'm pretty sure its not air in the HPO system.

Current issue: white/blue smoke at start-up that STINKS like raw diesel and a consistent miss most of the way thru RPM range (less noticable at high rpm's).

Power is off a little, but strong all the way to redline - its not running out of fuel. Fuel press. 55-75psi depending on which fuel pump is turned on. All on diesel, I was out of VO before this went down. Plenty of ICP, normal ICP duty cycle now - seems like we fixed that!!

Still no codes or SES lite, but Cyl 3 misfire is pretty consistent when I run KOER as well as the Cyl 3 contribution/balance fault. I have gotten Cyl 3 misfire code a few times in the last couple of months prior to the no-start problem that began this thread - but no indication at all truck was not running right, until now...

I have exceeded my tiny knowlege base and throw myself on the mercy of the wicked smart members here at FTE!!! What should I do next? CPUNeck recommended I unplug 1,3,5,7 bank and see if smoke goes away and also to check resistance of the injectors - but I had to get off the phone before getting instructions on resistance test!

Guess I should learn how to data log a run with AE and post it for y'all to look at!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:56 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man, just disconnect the connector at the valve cover and ground the DMM to the center pin, then the smaller pins to the left and right are for the injectors. ~2.9-3.2 ohms are what you are looking for. Last week did mine and it was almost dead on 3.1 for all 8. (Just FYI, 3.2=new...2.9=old, in between is were you want to be.) It's a PITA to hold the two leads on there while your testing. I cooked this up all by my self

This way I was able to "connect" to the ground, then just probe the injector pins with my positive lead. I'm on the edge of the seat waiting...

Old 12-27-2009, 07:12 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to pick up one these for testing: Source Products, Inc. ~ Ford Repair Harnesses ~ Fuel System (99-8612). I have been meaning to pick one up but have not yet.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
No smoke when pass-side VC is unplugged. I guess whoever has the battery charger I can't find also has my DMM. Look out!

Anyway, it seems like VC has to come off soon regardless. Probing wires ain't likely to fix it.

Maybe its something on the actuator or top side of injector?? If not, should I yank No. 3 out and look for a french fry stuck in the fuel rail or ridiculous coking/carbon built up in the combustion chamber? Maybe No. 3 is just the first one, the rest are all doomed and the heads are wrecked? Or worse.........

LOL! If I hadn't just picked on someone for 'doing WVO all wrong' in a PSD, I wouldn't be quite so paranoid. Do the charma police like donuts??

Old 12-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
When you pull the valve cover off. . . do a leak down test of that bank of cylinders. You can do a compression check but it won't tell you where the leak is at. So a differential compression tester is what you need. If they check out ok. . . swap the #3 with another injector and see if the problem moves with the injector or not.
Timmy

Old 12-28-2009, 05:37 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Called Swamps this morning, another injector is on the way. David says a miss with smoke and no codes/SES lite while getting a good buzz on buzz test is most likely injector internals. I hope to get the old one out tonite, but I have alot to do before we leave for FL tomorow AM...

I'll post pics of the old stick when I get it out.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:00 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Its BAD, mmmmkay? I've had a couple of fuel filter breaches over the years and always wondered what, if anything got by. I guess now we know! Most of this polymerized stuff looks just like what came out of my diesel filter when I was running B100 - thats another story. I also had a problem with VO filter that may have let some stuff by. Anyway, here's the horrifying pics of #1 and #3 (#1 is worse):

I swear to God this truck was running PERFECT before it shut off. Seriously, other than the boost being off a few psi, this thing was a 10k lb 5ver-haulin' beast. I just got back from Philly digging the spurs in and cracking the whip all thru the Appalachians. That is freaking amazing to me. I think it KNEW doom was eminent and shut down IPR 30 miles from home instead of learning this 1200 miles away, where I was headed. Of course I have been drinking - OF COURSE..........

Old 12-29-2009, 02:06 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
And the holes they came out of...

So, the last question before I pass out in a drunken stupor (it does seem to be helping with the pain) - What upgrades will I want to do while the heads are out!!!! Hell no, we ain't going back 'stock' - what did ya think?? Its prolly a PMR motor, so there's our limits.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:40 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Well f^%$ me runnin! That sux. So from the pics, the VO looks like it's gelled, but not "baked" on... and it's wet. Other guys stuff looked like it was sauteed on. Does it just "wipe off"? What's the consistency of the stuff. (Jello off top, jello crunchy off bottom??) Is it sticky? If it wipes off, why don't you try and preserve as much as possiable, then do some experiments with different solvents and "other" chemicals to see if one will break it down, over time even. That would make this worth it (I suppose.) But don't forget to toss an O-ring in with it for good measure , otherwise you may be breaking down the polyed oil AND your O-rings

If I had my heads off, I'd upgrade the springs, perform a DIY port polish, ... and for the VO'rs I'd put port fittings on the head end fuel rails (at the least) Might even remove the HPOP plugs and install serviceable ports there too. That way later you could access the ports for ???? what ever.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:31 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
I just wrote typed a freakin' novel and when I went to post it, ' IE could not display...' and it got lost.

Here's the condensed version, since I'm out of time right now...

The poly stuff is exactly like what was in the diesel filter when I was running B100. I stopped using B100 because of this problem. The B100 was 'breaking down' (polymerization) because it just sat in the factory filter for 12-16hrs a day, uncircualated, becuase I was burning SVO thru another fuel system. I went as far as 10k miles on a single tank of (bio)diesel.

I don't think this stuff 'got past a filter' as I suggested earlier. I think it formed in the heads after I 'purged' the VO out of heads and replaced it with this 'advanced stage of degradation' B100. So I decided B100 and SVO was not a good idea. Meanwhile, its been over a year since I used B100 and as of now I think this stuff has been there all along!!

David at Swamps suggested I just flush the heads from both ends with old injectors in place and clean the ports as best I can as they come out. I'm just not comfortable with this yet! Besides, don't we want to see my combustion chambers???

How much will it cost me to remove the heads? gaskets, head bolts, etc...

Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 797 Likes on 608 Posts
Wow that's a mess.
One of the reasons that you will never convince me to run anything but dino diesel.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:40 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I just wrote typed a freakin' novel and when I went to post it, ' IE could not display...' and it got lost.
That's why on the LONG stuff, I type it in OO or Word, then cut a past.! Never underestimate MicroSHAFT.

Are you back home, or sunnin in FL? David may have a point. Maybe remove the accessory brackets at the front of the engine, remove those fuel plugs... fab up a temp circuit to the rear ports and flush forward. I'd fashion a filter bag over the output so i could see what I was expelling. Then you could make a better informed decision whether or not you want to pull the heads.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:50 AM
nunya001
Senior User
Have you spoken with DFA guys? Something tells me they might have some experience with this.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
double post - internet connection sux here.

We are in SUNNY Florida!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Oh yeah, does not appear baked on. This is why I initially thought it somehow got past the filter(s)... Its kinda like gritty jello btw.

As for running only dead dinosaur fuel, in over 120k miles and 50% or more towing 5ver - I've saved enough money to buy an Excursion (which now has over 40k miles on SVO )... Not that I wanted or expected I would wreck my engine, but the math does work out in my favor!

Thanks for being a shoulder to cry on y'all.