Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ICP duty cycle 67%, ICP 70psi - no wonder it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:52 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
ICP duty cycle 67%, ICP 70psi - no wonder it won't start

It was one of those days when everything was going great, right up until it wasn't great anymore. Truck (F350 in sig) ran fine for 1000mi long weekend trip towing rockcrawler, then 30 miles after hooking up 5ver to head off to work, it stalled when I pushed the clutch in, briefly restarted when I let clutch out again, then chugged to a stop 1/4 mile after the turn. 70psi of fuel pressure, fresh batts, good alternator, full of oil, etc. I had just pulled a grade and hit 3200psi HPO pressure (gauge in A pillar), 20psi of boost, etc - everything was normal. Would not restart, so AAA towed it home and I jumped in the Excursion and hated life living in a hotel for 3 weeks...

Now I'm home and playing with my Christmas present, the AE is awesome (thanks RiffRaff!!!).

So, with huge Denso super starter zinging the engine over on freshly charged batteries, I'm getting 67% ICP duty cycle and less than 70psi ICP. The 70psi instantly falls to 0psi when stopped cranking. I see the X easily hits 1700psi while cranking and slowly tapers back to 0psi.

What am I looking for?
BIG (internal) oil leak - injector o-ring, etc?
Failed HPOP? (it would suck if I HAD to buy an Adrenaline... )

The HPOP is a rebuilt from Int'l about 100k miles ago - cleaned and re-used IPR (a little over 300k on truck). The injectors are Swamps 175 singles w/about 70k miles on them.

What did Santa bring you?

Old 12-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Check your HPOP resi and make sure it has oil in it.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:00 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Just checked again - about 3/4" or so from the top/just below the threads. Thanks Clay.

Considering the freaking volume of HPO I have witnessed this truck GUSH out while still 'running fine', its hard for me to believe a single injector o-ring failure could cause such a catastrophic loss in oil pressure.

I don't really understand how the IPR works yet. I understand the electromagnet bit, but how does it control HPOP pressure? Can it be the culprit here?

Is this a typical failure mode of IPR and/or HPOP? My last HPOP gushed oil out of the big c-clip thing...

Old 12-25-2009, 06:51 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Considering the freaking volume of HPO I have witnessed this truck GUSH out while still 'running fine', its hard for me to believe a single injector o-ring failure could cause such a catastrophic loss in oil pressure.

I don't really understand how the IPR works yet. I understand the electromagnet bit, but how does it control HPOP pressure? Can it be the culprit here?
Looks like it's time to isolate "where" the oil is going, if in deed it is... going I haven't heard of the HPOP just checking out like that, I'd disconnect the passenger bank, block the line and test, record results, do the same on the driverside (just make sure you include the ICP in your test for that side.) record those results, then block both sides (keeping the ICP in the "loop") and test the pump. Lastly, unplug the ICP with just the pump and give it a whirl. I know its a PITA to do all that wrenchin over the motor, but then you'd know weather your looking at a leak or failing components.

Props on the AE Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Subscribing.
I'm curious where the oil pressure is going too.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:58 AM
nunya001
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribing

Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Sounds good C, how do I block those lines for testing? I'm sure I don't have any ORB anything, especially plugs or caps... Didn't you say something about pulling VC's and looking for a gusher past an injector o-ring, etc? That almost seems easier. I've had new CAC boots to install on the engine side forever, this is a good excuse to do that and some proper cleaning in the valley - since its been over 100k since that was all squeeky clean! You remember what it looked like back then? I wuz so proud.

In the meantime, does the duty cycle mean IPR is functioning properly?

Also, I've spoken with a couple people who know alot about these HPOP's that say this is not an uncommon failure mode. The 'weak pump' seems to be less common and I'm not sure where 'leakers' make the list.

I'd love to spend the day isolating whether the pump is bad - but I'd rather spend the time installing Big Oil. I just don't wanna do that AND fix an oil leak (I'm running out of time already ). This would cut into the BTS budget AGAIN, and may just instigate a 38R upgrade - but with big oil, a 38R and some live tuning, this PMR truck would be FINISHED!!!! Then the focus can be on what we can do to a certain forged rod Excursion in the driveway that needs a BTS just to get started.... Yeah, I'm prolly spending the money I save burning VO faster than I save it, but who's counting?? (paid off the X already!!)

Thanks again y'all and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Subscribing too....Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:02 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Here is some good reading and will answer your questions regarding the IPR and HPOP. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/public...3HPOPGuide.pdf According the the diagnosis steps, it could be a bad/sticking IPR or its O-rings. I'm having some strange ICP/IPR related issues myself.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:21 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Reps for Roland!! Thank you sir! Great link, pictures really help me alot.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:30 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You're quite welcome. I'm sort of a visual type person myself.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:50 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was waitin for Roland to come along. I remember just enough about these to be dangerous. reps to you Roland

Barney

Old 12-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
The PCM is commanding max DC, and you're only getting 70psi. I'm kind of leaning towards the HPOP being kaput, but I have a spare IPR I could send you if you like. Lemme know...

Old 12-25-2009, 06:20 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Thanks Joe. I was planning to yank IPR today and inspect, but had too much fun playing with the kids to get a roundtoit...

I have another PSD in the driveway. May even steal parts from it too! If it'll get me to FL next week. The VO pump in the X is out for repair - if we take it on the trip, we actually have to pay for our fuel!!! I don't know how you guys do it!!

Old 12-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
LOL... It's not easy.

After reading the link Roland posted, it sounds like IPR. Since you have another one, definitely try the other IPR. I'd do that first if I was you.

Quick Reply: ICP duty cycle 67%, ICP 70psi - no wonder it won't start