Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel Fuel Additive Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:00 PM
cdiddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diesel Fuel Additive Question

Some one told me to put transmission oil in the diesel tank for lubrication. Has any one herd of this or is this a good idea? I have a 6.0 and 7.3. If so how much should you put in and how often?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't put it in either. Use a fuel additive meant to be there. A lot of us use PowerService Diesel Kleen, but there are a bunch out there that are as good. I use it because I can get it at Wal-Mart for cheap. Some folks like 2-cycle oil, but I tried it, and didn't care for it. DK adds lubricity *and* Cetane...

Old 11-19-2009, 08:17 AM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
The DieselKleen stuff is what I use. It really quiets the injectors and gives more power. I'm not sure if it gives any fuel mpg gain, but it claims to.

I just drove 600 miles the last two days and averaged 18.6 mpg on the hwy.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
I prefer using a little bio every tank as well as Diesel Kleen. Bio has better lubricity than any additive and in small amounts won't gel any faster during winter.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:09 AM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as far as transmission oil i read some where that they ran these on old transmission oil they got from a shop they cleaned it and it ran better on transmission oil than diesel, with on smoke. i cant confirm this but it might be ok, i use DK.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtexan99
The DieselKleen stuff is what I use. It really quiets the injectors

and gives more power. I'm not sure if it gives any fuel mpg gain, but it claims to.
How did you determine that it quiets the injectors? Can you hear the injectors over the engine combustion noise? Did you have some sort of sound filter that can seperate engine noise from injector noise? Just because it changes the combustion characteristics doesn't mean that the injector noise will change.

If there is more BTU, it should show on both the dyno and mpg.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:58 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by snakedoc
as far as transmission oil i read some where that they ran these on old transmission oil they got from a shop they cleaned it and it ran better on transmission oil than diesel, with on smoke. i cant confirm this but it might be ok, i use DK.
Do you trust that all the crud in the trans oil is out? Are the injectors going to like it?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Tim J
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Transmission oil burns nice and quiet in the trucks we service at work. We fill the fuel filters with it. Standard ATF. We use only new fluid. Not used. You can hear the difference. I'm sure there are many who would be skeptical, but I'm just sharing my experience. It cant be compared to DK or other additives....it just helps lube the fuel system.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:41 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you ever get dipped by the DOT with tranny fluid in there,they will treat it just like having off-road fuel in the tank and give you a nice fine,what I heard anyway.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:12 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by aklim
How did you determine that it quiets the injectors?
I have these 2 things attached to the side of my head. They helped me determine this.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:42 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim J
New Transmission oil burns nice and quiet in the trucks we service at work. We fill the fuel filters with it. Standard ATF. We use only new fluid. Not used. You can hear the difference. I'm sure there are many who would be skeptical, but I'm just sharing my experience. It cant be compared to DK or other additives....it just helps lube the fuel system.
What kind of trucks are they Jim? Any 7.3s?

I used to always fill my 6.9 spin on filter with fresh tranny fluid when I would change it.
I have a spin on pre pump filter on my 7.3, sure would be nice if I could fill it with tranny fluid instead of having to go buy a can of diesel to prime it with.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

I have these 2 things attached to the side of my head. They helped me determine this.
What are those things you speak of that can distinguish between injector sounds and engine sounds OVER THE ROAR OF THE ENGINE? I have heard injectors on a bench firing and I have heard an engine run. For the life of me, when the engine is running, I can't tell which is which without sophisticated filtering equipment that can remove one frequency from the other. Can I ask how you could? I would have thought such abilities are beyond the human capability.

So once again, how do you sperate engine sound from injector firing? IIRC, they are a clicking sound and the engine sound is much louder. Who knows, maybe you can ****** pebbles from a Shaolin Priest's hand and walk on rice paper without leaving a trail but I doubt that too

Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Nick 99
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have used new tranny fluid in my fuel filters on my diesel VW and PSD for years.
Works great.
Nick

Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Nick 99
I have used new tranny fluid in my fuel filters on my diesel VW and PSD for years.
Works great.
Nick
It burns but is it the best thing for the injectors? Sure, a filter full of it is not an issue but to burn it on a long term basis, I am not sure.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:08 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Can't seem to edit the post so here is an addition. The injectors are screwed down to the head UNDER the valve covers. That muffles the sounds. On top there is the engine combustion sound that is much louder. So, unless you recorded the sound and used the appropriate software filters, items I am assuming those 2 things attached to the side of your head do not have, the question remains. How did you determine the injector sounds were less?

I am assuming you did not run the injectors on a test bench with pure D2, recorded the sound and then added the snake oil in the right proportions and recorded the sound and compared the recordings. Correct me if I am wrong.