1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

One thing after another... batteries now?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
One thing after another... batteries now?

Woke up to go to work. Morning was colder than usual. Went to start the truck, let the glowplugs warm up, went to turn it over and...

RRR...RRR...RR..R.....r.........

Batteries were pretty much dead.

My wife isn't happy that I have to spend almost $200 for batteries now after servicing my transmission for $80... and the $300 chip I just put in a week ago which I've only gotten to drive the truck once since then because I threw my back out last week!!!

Why me???

Old 11-16-2009, 11:39 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brownie do I ever know the WHY ME feeling.

I hope your back gets better fast. It is amazing how much the "back" effects the whole body.

I bought my truck used with 70,000 miles in 2002. 2 days after purchasing it the batteries needed to be replaced. I was so mad thinking, this is NOT the way to start out with a vehicle.

Just remember that the repairs are a LOT less expensive than a new truck payment.
That is what I keep telling myself.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Definately the batteries... couldn't even jump start it.

The big thing is my wife is worried about money because she can't find a job, so I'm supporting both of us, and we have a baby on the way... etc. Everything is ok, but she's worried.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:14 PM
yoslick
Elder User
You put a DB gear starter in that thing yet? Cuts the amperage in half and I'll bet I get atleast a year if not 2 more than I normally did with the OEM starter..

Old 11-16-2009, 08:23 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Brownie, that is her job to worry.
I think I already said so, but if not, congratulations on the baby on the way.

If you need some help, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 PM
BadDogPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Went to start my truck yesterday morning when it was about 20 degrees out and it wouldn't start. I did not have it plugged in... cycled the glow plugs three times, still no go. The last try the batteries were struggling, and I do have the DB hi torque starter! I'll test the batteries, but will most likely replace them since they were in the truck when I bought it and have no idea how old they are.
I have new GP's & a Stancor relay in the garage, as soon as the injectors get here, I know what I'm doing!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:02 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Falcon, what you said is so, so true. Batteries, chip, trans equals three. An awful lot of things come in three's. At my job, almost nine out ten times when one big thing would happen, two more would follow. Then we were good for several months without mishap. Sooooo, several months from now you will have triplets :- Three's again, seriously, congraualtions!! Your first??

Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Glenn, now that is funny! You are gonna scare poor Brownie away.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Originally Posted by yoslick
You put a DB gear starter in that thing yet? Cuts the amperage in half and I'll bet I get atleast a year if not 2 more than I normally did with the OEM starter..
How much and where can I get one?

Originally Posted by 95_Dually
Brownie, that is her job to worry.
I think I already said so, but if not, congratulations on the baby on the way.

If you need some help, let me know and I will see what I can do.
We're alright. She just gets frustrated when we put money in savings and then have to use it again that same month. We're doing quite well for our first year of marriage. 2 dogs, a house (own), paid off '08 Cobalt, my truck, a boat, and a baby on the way... and plenty of money in savings already.
And that's all on my income as a CPL in the Marine Corps. So we are doing quite well.
And thank you! Very excited about the baby!

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Falcon, what you said is so, so true. Batteries, chip, trans equals three. An awful lot of things come in three's. At my job, almost nine out ten times when one big thing would happen, two more would follow. Then we were good for several months without mishap. Sooooo, several months from now you will have triplets :- Three's again, seriously, congraualtions!! Your first??
Well we KNOW it's not triplets (thank god). It is our first. We find out what it is on December 15th so you can bet I'll be posting my news on here that night!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Oh, and I went with two Walmart Everstarts. Same CCA as the Duralast from autozone, but I save $50 overall. It was even cheaper than buying the autozone batteries with my military discount!

And they have a 3 year free replacement so I'm happy. They'll be going in my truck after work.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:31 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
That sounds like a great deal Brownie.

It also sounds like you have your head on straight. Mine is still a little crooked.LOL

Old 11-17-2009, 12:22 PM
yoslick
Elder User
Heres a link Ford 7.3 Diesel Starter Powerstroke Truck HT 1994-2003 SND0355 17802: SND0355 DB Electrical Starter-Alternator

Starters $120 no core required which is great, was $147 to my door with shipping here in NW Wisc.. Had it in 2 days!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:34 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Falcon, the rest call you Brownie but I've got a few Falcons, that's why. Besides 'Oldbird' was my 65 Falcon vert that I'm still kicking myself for selling. I'm glad you have a sense of humor. From what you said, your doing great. When I had my kids I was in debt to my ears. Debt free now, its a great feeling but it took 30 years of working to get here. Damn credic cars get more people in trouble, it sad!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
New Batteries are IN! Truck starts right up now. Much faster also, I guess those old batteries were on their way out anyways...

Originally Posted by yoslick
Heres a link Ford 7.3 Diesel Starter Powerstroke Truck HT 1994-2003 SND0355 17802: SND0355 DB Electrical Starter-Alternator

Starters $120 no core required which is great, was $147 to my door with shipping here in NW Wisc.. Had it in 2 days!
Thanks for the link. That's even cheaper than a regular replacement that I've looked at!

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Falcon, the rest call you Brownie but I've got a few Falcons, that's why. Besides 'Oldbird' was my 65 Falcon vert that I'm still kicking myself for selling. I'm glad you have a sense of humor. From what you said, your doing great. When I had my kids I was in debt to my ears. Debt free now, its a great feeling but it took 30 years of working to get here. Damn credic cars get more people in trouble, it sad!
No Debt! That's what we're aiming for!!! We don't have credit cards and the only things we're paying on is our house and the truck. And we're paying extra on the truck to get it paid off soon.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
You guys are all goin on about batteries.

Man, check your connections first.

I was starting on 1 battery when i first got my truck and didn't even know it. when i replaced the batteries and the end popped off, then i figured out it was not connected well.
haha.

NAPA will take your old batteries back for core, and give you like 10 off each battery or something, then pick up some nice napa golds.

That is, if your connections are all good and clean.

but you should be able to jump with bad batteries.
Get where i'm going?

Quick Reply: One thing after another... batteries now?