6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Mercon LV and SP

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I'm still waiting for someone to ask: "what about MaxLife??"

I did the '08 pan change and put 9 qts of LV in with the SP that was there. It shifts fine, can't tell a difference... I'm going to stick with LV myself.

This is one of those "to each his own" deals IMO...
I'll use Maxlife ATF. Going by the specs it is identical to LV.

Josh

Old 03-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390

Josh
I just had a vision in my head while reading "identical" in your post. Anyone remember the Prosecutor in My Cousin Vinny when he held up his hands and reiterated "Identical!" about the tires rubber?

Old 03-04-2015, 03:49 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts

Josh
That would be the specs that are identical, I highly doubt the fluids themselves are in fact identical. But this will just take us down that path of: "does it even matter?" Which it doesn't...

They would have to come from the same base stock, add packs and even batch, to be identical (fluids), but there are many ways to meet the same spec... And that is what you said anyway, so not sure why I'm here...

Sounds like plenty of folks running MaxLife, SP, LV and blends of the 3. I'm sure they all will work just fine...

Old 03-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like plenty of folks running MaxLife, SP, LV and blends of the 3. I'm sure they all will work just fine...
I'm the oddball, I run Amsoil ATL with no issues......

Old 03-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Bullitt390

That would be the specs that are identical, I highly doubt the fluids themselves are in fact identical. But this will just take us down that path of: "does it even matter?" Which it doesn't...

They would have to come from the same base stock, add packs and even batch, to be identical (fluids), but there are many ways to meet the same spec... And that is what you said anyway, so not sure why I'm here...

Maxlife ATF Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Amsoil ATF VOA of Amsoil ATL Low-Viscosity ATF | Gear & Transmission Used/Virgin Oil Analysis | Bob Is The Oil Guy

UOA of Motorcraft LV http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...UOA:_Mercon_LV

Josh

Old 03-05-2015, 08:10 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
Looks like a few differences based on these two information sources:

Max Life
Petroleum Quality Institute of America

LV
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...ERCON%20LV.pdf

flash pt LV : 421
flash pt Max Life: 383

Viscosity Index LV: 155
Viscosity Index Max Life: 182

Viscosity 100*C cST LV: 6
Viscosity 100*C cST Max Life: 7.2

Granted, the LV brochure is a specification chart, and the Max Life article states that they averaged 10 samples.

The BITOG analysis does look close - wish it was a virgin sample.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by bismic
Looks like a few differences based on these two information sources:

Max Life

LV
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...ERCON%20LV.pdf

flash pt LV : 421
flash pt Max Life: 383

Viscosity Index LV: 155
Viscosity Index Max Life: 182

Viscosity 100*C cST LV: 6
Viscosity 100*C cST Max Life: 7.2

Granted, the LV brochure is a specification chart, and the Max Life article states that they averaged 10 samples.

The BITOG analysis does look close - wish it was a virgin sample.
You're comparing the universal average on your Maxlife numbers and not as tested.

1st column is universal average for Mercon V, second column is Maxlife ATF

Josh

Old 03-05-2015, 09:33 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
I see what you are saying.

In the link:

They make the footnote "a" look like it applies to Max Life (ie the "average-a" column).

Old 03-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by bismic
I see what you are saying.

In the link:

They make the footnote "a" look like it applies to Max Life (ie the "average-a" column.
10 samples of Dexron/Mercon in 2012. 2013 Maxlife is right column.

Josh

Old 03-08-2015, 01:53 AM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
LV replaced SP.

The comparison above was made that Ford Gold coolant was the catch-all coolant, regardless of gas or diesel and for intents and purposes Ford Gold is NOT a preferable coolant for a 6.0 diesel.

With that reference, the comparison is that LV has started replacing many other ATFs, when in fact it has really only superseded SP.

Mercon V, is the ATF that superceded Mercon and is really the catch-all ATF. Do not use Mercon V in a Torqshft.

As for availability of SP, you have to special order SP from the parts counter at my local Ford dealers and the oil distributor for Northern Colorado hasn't carried Mercon SP since 2012.

I wonder what the deal is with the 6HP26 and 6R60/6R75 transmissions not being able to handle LV, yet the CR80 is approved.

Josh
We have always been behind the curve in Tennessee. Mercon SP is on all of the dealers and good aftermarket parts houses shelves where I live.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:36 AM
Racerboy2hl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercon LP vs. SP

I went to ford.com parts and in the literature under mercon LV it states to not use it where SP is in use, and likewise the SP states not to use it where LV is in use. I've read a lot of posts on this subject that state LV is a direct replacement for SP and on and on. I just replaced 10 quarts of SP in my 2008 f450 6peed torq shift with 10 of the LV during a tranny filter change and within a week of doing so the tranny shifts out of gear and engine revs up so I let off of the throttle and it slowly goes back in gear. This has happened three times now and I think I just need to locate 15 quarts of mercon SP and pay to have it flushed and refilled with the SP. I hope that gets rid of it. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or similar experiences.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:16 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Racerboy2hl
I went to ford.com parts and in the literature under mercon LV it states to not use it where SP is in use, and likewise the SP states not to use it where LV is in use. I've read a lot of posts on this subject that state LV is a direct replacement for SP and on and on. I just replaced 10 quarts of SP in my 2008 f450 6peed torq shift with 10 of the LV during a tranny filter change and within a week of doing so the tranny shifts out of gear and engine revs up so I let off of the throttle and it slowly goes back in gear. This has happened three times now and I think I just need to locate 15 quarts of mercon SP and pay to have it flushed and refilled with the SP. I hope that gets rid of it. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or similar experiences.
It isn't the fluid, that is my thought -- mine and a ton others on here should have had similar experiences to yours when we blended the two. And we flat out haven't. Mine has zero issues with a blend of LV and the original SP.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Racerboy2hl
Check the fluid level. I know my Milan is very finicky when not perfectly filled to the correct amount. The Torqueshift could be also.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:22 AM
satwood
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They did, Ford Gold is no longer used in diesels.

Josh
Josh, I know this thread is about transmission fluid but since you brought it up, I'm ready for a 5 year flush on my 2003 6.0. What coolant should I replace that Gold stuff with?

Thanks
Steve

Old 01-16-2016, 11:37 AM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by satwood
Josh, I know this thread is about transmission fluid but since you brought it up, I'm ready for a 5 year flush on my 2003 6.0. What coolant should I replace that Gold stuff with?

Thanks
Steve
An ELC that is EC-1 rated. Rotella is one, Caterpillar offers one, an option from Fleetguard and Zerex as well.

The thing with Ford Gold is it isn't very robust, requires frequent flushes. EC-1 is one n done.

Josh

Quick Reply: Mercon LV and SP