Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Title issues...need advice please!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Screamin T/A
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Title issues...need advice please!!!

Hello all, I am in a bit of a pickle. Here is some background info. I purchased a truck from a guy in eastern CT about ten months ago. He gave me a a notarized bill of sale with the truck. I am now finished with the restoration, and come to find out that in order for me to register the truck, I first have to get a title in my name (obvious). Thing is that I am in NJ. I called the DMV and they said all I need is a form stating that I purchased the vehicle from the CT DMV. CT DMV says that I need a bill of sale and a former registration to put vehicle in my name. Besides the fact that I don't have the contact info for the guy I bought it from (he conveniently left it off of the bill of sale) i dont even think he ever registered the truck under his name....so now what? The only thing I can think of is to call his place of work, where the truck was stored, and try to get some info from him.......!!!! this is annoying!!!! Any advice??? PLEASE HELP!!

Old 10-28-2009, 05:59 PM
yankeerebel
Senior User
Screamin T/A Why don't you contact the CT DMV and ask for a printed copy of the last registration under that VIN? I think you could make a case with them that the truck was indeed registered at some time and now it was sold to you. They may make you wait while they contact the last owner to verify that it is not stolen. They may even provide you with the contacts for the last registered owner. Best of luck and don't let those DMV bullies push you around. They should be dang lucky to have a job and not be copping an attitude with a frustrated truck owner...sort of anyway!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:08 PM
abert
Freshman User
I agree find out when the last time the truck was registered and if it is reported stolen or has any leans for that matter.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is a common problem where some states don't require titles for older vehicles like CT.

Why didn't you register it when you got it?

In any event, you must contact the PO and CT's DMV to verify the VIN isn't flagged.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 AM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The CT DMV should give you the last registered name of the truck (maybe require a small fee, not sure). Then you should be able to use that for your DMV.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:58 AM
IsoGrifo
Elder User
OR... wait two months, it's been on your property for a year, and then apply for an abandoned vehicle title, mvd or dmv comes out to inspect it, file some paperwork, and it's legally yours

Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A lien sale would take care of the problem. The lien sale company will notify the last three or so owners and suggest that they pay a for storage or mechanics fees or surrender the vehicle. Since the last owners sold the vehicle, there will not be anyone that comes looking for the vehicle, and a new title will be issued to you.
I have used this option many times. Works like a charm.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Screamin T/A
Senior User
How do I go about this lien sale?

I called the NJ DMV today and they said they need a transfer of registration form. I explained to the that the truck was previously used on private land only, and never registered, this kind of stumped them. CT dmv stated that I should be able to get a notarized statement from the PO stating that it was never registered but NJ wont take this. !!! this is annoying. I wish I could get a title with tags and be done with it!!

What should I do??? I would also like some more info on this lien sale business....?

Old 10-29-2009, 06:16 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Do you have any kind of donor vehicle with a title? I know in MN and NE, if you have uses a major part of a donor truck and you have a title to that vehicle, you can apply for a rebuild title and have the truck inspected and they will reissue and new VIN and title for the build vehicle. This can be a longer process, but it's legit.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 PM
hp246
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This might be a bit of a long shot. Research for your area if there is an Police Auto Theft Team in your area. If so, calmly explain the situation to them along with all of your documentation. Sometimes Law Enforcement can provide you with additional options that the DMV people are to lazy to bother with. For example you may be eligible for a Salvage title or a homebuilt title.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:58 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,276 Likes on 1,080 Posts
Some good advice there.

Let me toss in here never buy a vehicle to sink money into that you don't get a clear title to it too.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:36 AM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since the VIN is on the door and easy to move, it would probably be easy to buy a parts truck with a good title if you know what I'm saying.

I had a similar issue with a dirt bike title. Well it was a Honda XL500R. Its an on/off road bike. I wanted to license it but the title had like 3 different people sign the back in different areas, it was covered in white out and totally jacked up. The DMV had all these power of attourney forms etc, it was insane. Lets just say I now have a clear title for the bike and it's on orgininal type title. Its not a duplicate, corrected, re-issued or anything like that.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:47 AM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hp246
This might be a bit of a long shot. Research for your area if there is an Police Auto Theft Team in your area. If so, calmly explain the situation to them along with all of your documentation. Sometimes Law Enforcement can provide you with additional options that the DMV people are to lazy to bother with. For example you may be eligible for a Salvage title or a homebuilt title.

Also, garages, or towing companies have a salver's license, and they could go through the abandoned vehicle process, and get a new title that way. I think the only down side is they would have to notify the previous owner and after a certain amount of time has elasped, they are issued a new tittle for the vehicle.

A bill of sale only is not a very stable way to buy a vehicle. Then it is componded by the fact it is an out of state vehicle too. That really kinda muddies the water, but I think it is doable after some nashing of the teeth, pulling out your hair.

It is possible the vehicle is not even from the state that you bought it from, and that is why it is for sale again. (probably not, but possible)

Please keep us posted as things evolve so others can learn from this.

And best of luck!!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:41 AM
hp246
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the VIN is on the door and easy to move, it would probably be easy to buy a par

Blown 331. Bad Idea. The Tag on the door is not a VIN plate. The VIN is stamped into the top of the frame on the drivers side. If you were ever stopped and an officer did a thorough investigation you would have a lot of questions to answer. In the mean time the truck would be impounded, probably partially disassembled. You could conceivably be charged with falsifying public documents.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hp246
Blown 331. Bad Idea. The Tag on the door is not a VIN plate. The VIN is stamped into the top of the frame on the drivers side. If you were ever stopped and an officer did a thorough investigation you would have a lot of questions to answer. In the mean time the truck would be impounded, probably partially disassembled. You could conceivably be charged with falsifying public documents.
Thats why I didn't spell it out exactly what I was hinting at. I really can't see them checking for the numbers on the frame or even knowing where that number would be. I think you'd have a better chance of winning the lottery.
And TONS of people swap out frames, put a nice 2wd body on a 4x4 frame etc. Especially something this old. The number of times this is done by people that live in my area is unreal. I can think of TONS of trucks that have a different body bolted to a frame that it didn't not leave the factory with and the title for the body is just used. Or look at 30's and 40s trucks with newer frames to get better suspension and brakes, and they are still titled as they were originally.
I'm also into Harleys. The VIN is on the steering neck. TONS of people all across the country keep that neck only and replace the rest of the frame, engine and every other peice of the bike and that way its still titled as a Harley and not a custom build, when really the only part that is Harley is the steering neck with VIN. They are all over ebay like this and it appears its not a big deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Title issues...need advice please!!!