Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Headlight advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headlight advice needed

Sorry guys...Haven't been on in a while. You know how it is. Livin gets in the way of life! My girls and work have the habit of keeping me extremely busy. But I digress...

Driving home in the rain last night I realize that I cant see "jack". I tried the old headlight polish trick over a year ago but these stock lenses have clouded up with a vengance. Time for a new set. (it sucks getting old) I like the look of the 07 Harley ones. I found them off ebay for 128 bucks. (headlight depot).

2007 FORD F250 F350 F450 HARLEY SUPERDUTY HEADLIGHTS:eBay Motors (item 180272792200 end time Nov-25-09 17:05:47 PST)

At the same time I'm going to install the wiring upgrade kit.

Headlight Conversion Harness

My question.... Are these lenses just "cheap chinese junk" or are they the same as OEM. I dont mind spending the money for something thats going to last.

In addition, if you can recommend a good supplier for these lenses it would be most apprieciated.

On a side note..What happened to Markadeck?

TIA

Duncan

Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Duncan,
On the headlights IMHO stay away from the chinese aftermarket, they are cheaper for a reason. Hit up HighOctane and he can tell you all about how his faded and hazed in under a year. I have these if you need them, but I don't want to answer your question just for a sales pitch. But I can tell you I just swapped and am extemely happy to be able to see again. Here is a link, give me a call if you have any questions.

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/me..._Code=F731-OEM

And here is a link for our brother Markadeck
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...be-missed.html

Old 10-28-2009, 09:02 AM
agg_bagg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clay does that plug and play harness. will that make it so the lights will simply plug into our 99-04 trucks. so we don't have to splice and stuff....

and what is the difference between the two

Plug & Play 9007/9008
Plug & Play Relay Harness

Old 10-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by agg_bagg
clay does that plug and play harness. will that make it so the lights will simply plug into our 99-04 trucks. so we don't have to splice and stuff....

and what is the difference between the two

Plug & Play 9007/9008
Plug & Play Relay Harness
Yes, it allows you to just plug in to your stock 99-04 harness and then plug the headlamp in. I will have pictures soon of the harnesses, but the top on is just a conversion harness while the lower pulls power directly from the battery and is actuated by a relay.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:12 AM
agg_bagg
Senior User
is there a specific reason why you would need to pull power from the battery. won't the new lights run off of the power from the old harness.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by agg_bagg
is there a specific reason why you would need to pull power from the battery. won't the new lights run off of the power from the old harness.
Yes, but it just allows for slightly higher voltage to the bulbs which can give you a little more light. Unfortunately it can also shorten bulb life a little as well. You can also use the Brite Box which has the conversion built in.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:02 AM
wuttrd
Senior User
head light

just got thies from clay with the plug and play simple to instal. before and after much brighter

Attached Images   
Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
agreed. stay away from aftermarket stuff. just do it right the first time. it is a lot cheaper now than when I did it.

Get the 05-07 headlights, the upgraded wire harness, and a set of silver star bulbs to go with it. You will not be disappointed!

And there is always the cool factor!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Clay, you may be hearing from me soon.

I purchased the cheap chinese ones a few years ago, and they have held up well. But I've got one headlight taking on moisture and turning dark.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:30 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Duncan,
On the headlights IMHO stay away from the chinese aftermarket, they are cheaper for a reason. Hit up HighOctane and he can tell you all about how his faded and hazed in under a year. I have these if you need them, but I don't want to answer your question just for a sales pitch. But I can tell you I just swapped and am extemely happy to be able to see again. Here is a link, give me a call if you have any questions.

Riffraff Diesel: 05' Ford OEM Headlights

And here is a link for our brother Markadeck
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...be-missed.html
Thank for all the input!

You have me sold on those headlights. The more I read about the knock offs the less inclined I am to buy them. Just have to come up with the money.... Need tires as well. Wife's gonna love this!

It saddens me to hear about Mark. It seems every time I come back, someone else has fallen. But the truly amazing thing is the response from all here. I read a post about this (FTE) being a brotherhood earlier today. I'll go out on a limb and say that this 7.3 forum is like none other on the internet, that I've come across anyway. It's a good thing to come "home" to every now and again.

God bless Marks family and friends.

Godspeed another fellow Marine home.

Duncan

Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

How easy is it to put in the '05+ headlights? Isn't there some "machining" to get them in, or do they bolt right up?

Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 PM
wuttrd
Senior User
head light assem

this is the link that i used. little cutting couple screws. the top hols fit in some stock holes that are allready there. for those holes i used some expandable plastic rivits w/ bolts.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2005 Up Headlight Conversion.pdf (513.0 KB, 283 views)
Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by farmb0y
How easy is it to put in the '05+ headlights? Isn't there some "machining" to get them in, or do they bolt right up?
It is actually alot easier than you would think.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:11 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Duncan I've bought 3 sets of aftermarket headlights/parklights from Headlightdepot on ebay. The first set were smoked, second ones were the 05 harley lights like you're looking at, and the 3rd set are the stock euro style ones that will be here Monday. They are an Eagle Eye brand and have held up great to the elements that I've thrown at them. No fading, discoloration, moisture collection, nothing. And I expect the 3rd set to be just the same.

There are definitely some chincy aftermarket ones out there that I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole. But I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that ebay seller for headlights that are stock replacements. They are about as close to OEM as you can get without getting OEM.

As for the upgraded harness, I ran one identical to the GOS one. Bought it from dfuser and was about the same price. Quality product and would highly recommend it too.

To each is own, but I've had great luck with the upgraded harness and the aftermarket Eagle Eye headlights.

BTW- The only way that Tom "lost my beer" and Layson could tell the difference between my harley 05 headlights and theirs were by looking closely at the lense. Mine says "Eagle Eye" where the factory ones say OEM Ford. That's it.