North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

nc inspection laws

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 09:18 PM
bluechow
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nc inspection laws

I have a 1979 supercab with a 400m. It has a California Emissions sticker and all of the emission equipment intact and working. It passes the sniffer test with no problems. I would like to get a little more grunt out of the motor but was wondering what is acceptable for Wake County.

I am not sure, but I think the regulations differ from county to county. I am mostly interested in bolt on stuff for now. Maybe an intake manifold and a 4bbl carb and bigger exhaust. I know I have to keep the cat converter, but can I get an after market one that goes to two pipes?

Also is it OK to bump up the compression? For example a set of 9:1 Ohio flat top pistons or possibly Aussie closed chamber heads. I figure if they cannot see it and it passes maybe I can get away with it.

Is there a state web site or something that covers this stuff? I am not looking to do anything drastic, but would like to get a little more out of the thing.

jeff

Old 03-13-2002, 09:52 PM
HotWhlz85
Laughing Gas
nc inspection laws

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-Mar-02 AT 10:54 PM (EST)]Some counties in NC use the "sniffer" in their inspections, others don't. I live in Alamance and we don't have it....yet. But they say we're getting it in 2004. What little I know about it says the visual inspection is limited to making sure the factory smog goodies are intact and working (smog pump and cats). Then the sniffer is used to detect unacceptable hydrocarbon levels. I've been told a properly tuned engine with the smog pump and cats in place should do fine, even with enhanced performance mods such as a better set of heads. There will also be a limit on how much you are required to spend per year to get your vehicle to conform....I think it's $200. I'm not sure but I've heard they only go back so far in requiring a vehicle to comply, another good reason to drive old Fords. Kinda antsy myself with all the mods I've done to my 85.....

Ron

And yes you can get an aftermarket cat that is single in/dual out...check Jegs.com or Summitracing.com

Old 03-22-2002, 09:46 PM
ed_jr
New User
nc inspection laws

Maybe this will help
http://www.dmv.dot.state.nc.us/enforcement/emissionsinspections/

Ed

Old 03-28-2002, 04:50 PM
bluechow
Freshman User
nc inspection laws

Thanks,

That helped. Here is a quote from the website:

"What vehicles are required to be emissions tested?

All gasoline-powered vehicles less than 25 years old and registered in the following counties: WAKE, FORSYTH, GUILFORD, DURHAM, GASTON, CABARRUS, MECKLENBURG, ORANGE and UNION will require an exhaust emission test through December 31, 2005. Effective July 1, 2002, vehicle models 1996 and newer, excluding new vehicles(vehicles that have never been titled), shall receive a new type of emissions test known as OBD II(On Board Diagnostics). Effective January 1, 2002, all registered motor homes are exempt from any type of emissions testing."

Since mine is a 1979 it looks like I only have two more years of the Man sticking the sniffer up my tail pipe. I suspose that I will still have to get it safety inspected? Also, it will give me a little while to dream up all evil things to do the 400M in a couple of years.

Buy the way, just picked my wife up a 1992, v6 4X4 explorer (eddie package) today with just over 68,000. Almost in mint condition except for some paint problems on the hood. But my wifes body shop friend said he would shoot it for the cost of the materials.

Now I can get rid of her Ch%$# suburban!

Jeff

Old 03-28-2002, 06:09 PM
ranger99
Senior User
nc inspection laws

Thats great and helpful information, I'm moving to the Charlotte area the last part of May, first part of June. Any and all information like that, to me, is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bob
ranger99
'99 Ranger Flareside Fire Engine Red

Old 04-01-2002, 02:27 PM
slikness
Posting Guru
nc inspection laws

There is a lot of confusion on the Ford truck emission requirements. The 150s required smog pumps, egr, etc.; but the 250s and up did not. I live in Durham County. I removed all my smog equipment: smog pump, EGR, carbon cannister, air filter system...I went to dual exhausts with two new DynoMax cats, have an open element filter, and of course retained the PCV system...I've taken it to 3 different smog inspectors over the last 5 years and never had a problem getting passed.

Old 04-01-2002, 04:50 PM
HotWhlz85
Laughing Gas
nc inspection laws

That makes me feel some better. Your set-up sounds like mine. I took the pump off, the egr, all the wiring for the computer controls, the carbon canister, etc. I have the open air cleaner, two Dynomax cats into two Flowmasters. Hopefully when it comes time for them to check mine in 2004 they will be as confused as the rest.

Ron

Old 04-04-2002, 09:36 PM
orange peel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nc inspection laws