Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

WW install

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:19 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I am doing some second guessing about pulling the turbo. I don't think it has ever been pulled and think it is going to be a PITA. I was messing around with the exhaust side and undid the clamp. Could not even get it to break loose. Got some of the PB blaster and let it soak for a while but did not seem to help. The other issue that I see is with the up pipes. I don't have the bellowed ones and don't want to buy them now. I could get new gaskets but may leak afterward from the reading I did. So I don't know what direction to take. Maybe I will go with the funny guy in the video........

Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tdpower
Well I am doing some second guessing about pulling the turbo. I don't think it has ever been pulled and think it is going to be a PITA. I was messing around with the exhaust side and undid the clamp. Could not even get it to break loose. Got some of the PB blaster and let it soak for a while but did not seem to help. The other issue that I see is with the up pipes. I don't have the bellowed ones and don't want to buy them now. I could get new gaskets but may leak afterward from the reading I did. So I don't know what direction to take. Maybe I will go with the funny guy in the video........
Where are you located Grant? There are a ton of members here that would be willing to give you a hand.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Grant, I pulled my turbo for my 38R upgrade, it wasn't really that bad, the inital though was scary but I educated myself right here and for me, it went very smooth. I had my stock one out and Adam came over the next day and he dropped it right in, alittle tweeking and it bolted right up, no problems with up-pipe fitment. After cleanup I did notice some oil around my EBPV plunger but cleaned it up again and nothing now, maybe residule oil I didn't get too. Beings its the first time with this, maybe somebody here could assist you for hamburger tomorrow..

Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
I'm in ABQ, NM. I hear you guys and I guess I am a little gun shy about the deal for the first time. I'll give it some thinking and try to look up local people. Usually, I will jump right into something w/o the newbie factor but this one has me pondering.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tdpower
I'm in ABQ, NM. I hear you guys and I guess I am a little gun shy about the deal for the first time. I'll give it some thinking and try to look up local people. Usually, I will jump right into something w/o the newbie factor but this one has me pondering.
Sounds like a NM tech day is in order!!

Old 10-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
You'll do fine. The turbo is an easy-cheesy remove & replace...

Old 10-04-2009, 08:23 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
re

Originally Posted by Izzy351
You'll do fine. The turbo is an easy-cheesy remove & replace...
Maybe I'll make a road trip to Dallas. My wife and I are considering moving out that way. You probably could of had the turbo out quicker than I messed with that clamp.. I understand all the basics of what to do just don't want to create more problems. I don't need this vehicle as my primary vehicle but the wife might complain if we can't go to the lake. I was hoping for a one day job hopefully less. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grant I thought the same thing before I removed it The first time. Just take your time and watch what your doing and its pretty easy. After you do it once its a piece of cake I have had mine off a couple times and helped a lot of Friends with theres. Now if I have my tools ready a turbo and pedestal is out in 15 -20 minutes as long as the up pipe clamp will break loose.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
To break it loose, put a 5/16ths socket on an extension, put that on the clamp screw, and tap it with a hammer. That's how I got mine loose.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:43 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Izzy351
To break it loose, put a 5/16ths socket on an extension, put that on the clamp screw, and tap it with a hammer. That's how I got mine loose.

Unfortunately, mine is straight up in the back. The only thing I could get on it was a 1/4 ratchet and long socket. No room for air tools or a 3/8 drive. I'll figure it out though. Thanks for the support.......

Old 10-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Spray the whole clamp with PB Blast very good . Go drink a beverage for 5-10 minutes go spray it again and then go drink a beer, come back and knock the crap out of it and then it will usually come loose and then go on as needed.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:59 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
re

Originally Posted by Bigcat350
Spray the whole clamp with PB Blast very good . Go drink a beverage for 5-10 minutes go spray it again and then go drink a beer, come back and knock the crap out of it and then it will usually come loose and then go on as needed.
That some of the best advice I have had. . I was just messing around today sizing it up. Once I get the WW time to tear in I guess..

Old 10-05-2009, 06:10 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

You can also use a screwdriver on those clamps. I stuck one in on one of the inner edges of the clamp and gave it a wack and she popped right off. remember if in doubt give her a clout.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:44 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
re

Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
You can also use a screwdriver on those clamps. I stuck one in on one of the inner edges of the clamp and gave it a wack and she popped right off. remember if in doubt give her a clout.
That has a nice ring to it. I like it. Looks like I will definetely being pulling the turbo as I have missing turbo bolts. I thought I had to unbolt the up-pipes but thanks to Joe he cleared my head up.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:17 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
My WW was on back-order so there has been some delay in doing this. Suppose to be here tomorrow. I got the turbo out. Tapped and plugged the pedestal. Got rid of the flap on the exhaust side outlet and put a freeze plug in. All good so far. I was missing one turbo bolt in the middle section and one turned out to be loose. So I got the new kit for the bolts. I took off the compressor wheel and the took off the inner compressor housing. One question I have is there is a funny shaped washer under the bearing. Does the orientation of the washer matter? I know it has to be able to slide back on but not sure if there was more than one position the washer could be and the housing still fit back on properly. Thanks for all the help. Here is a photo: turbo picture by galexander - Photobucket

Quick Reply: WW install