Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

coolant temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, it's definitely an air problem, IMHO. Either not enough with the AIS, or you have a boost leak. Boots or up-pipes. It could be that the stock early 99 turbo just doesn't move enough air for the Stage 2s. And these are Split-Shot injectors?? They use a lot more high pressure oil than singles or hybrids. And you have a 15* HPOP too. What code is on the top of the injectors, if you remember? Your stockers should've been ABs. Stock late split-shots are ADs I have AA code single-shots with B-code guts, and 100% over nozzles.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 PM
stemo76
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the adrenaline hpop so I should have plenty of oil pressure and according to my HPOP guage that keeps up just fine.

My injectors are modified ABs 80% over stock with no long lead injector.

I cut the hole in the AIS today and will see if that helps. I can also pull the vacuum line off the wastegate tomorrow, I know in the past that helped me get a couple extra lbs on the top end.

I wish I had done more research before buying these injectors. I think they are a thorn in my side. I asked for injectors that I can use with stock equipment and over the counter programmers. once I installed and had issues I found out this was not the best choice for me. I guess since they are still split shots they figured it would be fine with any programmer.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:44 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Let us know how that works out. I'm curious if the extra hole helps. If not, you need to make sure you don't have boost leaks. If that's all good, then it's time to decide on turbo upgrades. You can drop a D66 right in there and it supports a bit over 400 rwhp. Easiest & cheapest upgrade. Otherwise, you're looking at swapping out a bunch of stuff to go with the later turbo options.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hard starts and lope idle have me thinking its more than just an air restriction.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
It is, I think. Screwy tunes on odd injectors. It will take live tuning to get that fixed, I do believe. That's if there isn't an issue with the injectors themselves.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Guys, just a quick hi-jack, speaking of the original question on coolant sensors, can you buy or do they make a coolant temp. gauge to fit in one off these coolant ports on my filtration setup?? Just wondering, would be nicve to just screw in and get your readings from under the hood or from a gauge inside the cab.. Thanks

Old 09-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
As long as they are the same threads as the port on the water pump, yes. In fact, I've seen sensors in the coolant filter housing. I think the setup on DieselSite shows one in there. Hang on, I'll go check...

Yep -- you can see it here:

Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Izzy351
As long as they are the same threads as the port on the water pump, yes. In fact, I've seen sensors in the coolant filter housing. I think the setup on DieselSite shows one in there. Hang on, I'll go check...

Yep -- you can see it here:
Is that the stock sensor plug thats pluged in there Joe or is that a seperate coolant gauge?? My stock one doesn't give me real numbers and want to get one to install in the Dieselsite and have its own gauge showing real numbers, temps, ect?? Thanks, you know what I mean??

Old 09-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
The stock coolant sensor isn't affected by the coolant filter kit (no need to relocate it), so I would think that is an aftermarket sensor. I was planning on adding coolant temp onto my ScanGauge until I saw how effective monitoring oil temp is. I may still add oil pressure. Haven't decided yet.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
The black smoke is only one symptom. hard cold starts, loping for a second to many seconds after it starts. milage around 10 towing or not. pyro runs about 800 no load and hits 1200 fast when pulling a hill with my small trailer.
Sounds like an oil leak in the HP system , maybe ICP sensor leaking oil & giving bad info , or maybe some junk in the IPR... does the exhaust smell bad at start up ?...Scan EOT & see how it compares to ambient air temp also ...

Old 09-23-2009, 08:48 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Izzy351
The stock coolant sensor isn't affected by the coolant filter kit (no need to relocate it), so I would think that is an aftermarket sensor. I was planning on adding coolant temp onto my ScanGauge until I saw how effective monitoring oil temp is. I may still add oil pressure. Haven't decided yet.
Thats what I want to do, have a seperate coolant temp gauge possibly with a probe and gauge in one to just screw into those holes in the filter housing, under the hood kinda temp gauge as you will or run it into the cab, don't know yet. I'll have to look around. Thanks for the input..

Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Action4478
Sounds like an oil leak in the HP system , maybe ICP sensor leaking oil & giving bad info , or maybe some junk in the IPR... does the exhaust smell bad at start up ?...Scan EOT & see how it compares to ambient air temp also ...
Yeah, that's a good point. But he says he's been watching his ICP and doesn't see any anomalies there. Still worth double-checking before tearing into injectors again.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 AM
stemo76
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The IPR was replaced witht he HPOP and the physical guage and the odb reading are the same but they do come from the same source.

I am not sure what you mean by smells bad. when I get below 40* and start the truck its like a rodeo and I will smoke out the neighbors house for about 10 seconds before all the cylinders start kicking in even.

I did the cylinder contribution test and it comes back ok.

My guess is an injector is leaking down either through the body or the o-rings. If the o-rings got pinched during install would that leave to leakdown in the cylinder does that washer on the base of the injector seal that up.

I tested my fuel pressure at the port on the passenger side head. It sat at 60lbs so it wouldn't appear that I have hpop pressure getting into that system.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
I am not sure what you mean by smells bad. when I get below 40* and start the truck its like a rodeo and I will smoke out the neighbors house for about 10 seconds before all the cylinders start kicking in even.
All just WAGS.. when my IPR was sticking , exhaust odor almost burned your eyes , the romps are usually from ICP uncontrollable or the PCM confused for a short time . mine also smoked out the neighbor hood... GP system working properly ?..Did you say that this began right after install of the new injectors ?..

Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
You have a manual gauge as well , you can isolate the heads to check for leaks without pulling the covers or the injectors ..My ICP at idle is 650 ..500 is (IIRC) the bare minimum to start ...Have you looked at the ICP sensor ,looking for oil seeping from it ?...

Quick Reply: coolant temp sensor