Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Appearance & Dress-Up
Reload this Page >

Tips on Window Tinting, Please help !

Notices

Old 10-07-2002, 08:04 PM
ford311
Freshman User
ford311 is starting off with a positive reputation.

hi i have a 92 f 150 xlt and i wanna tint my windows but i wanna just give the do it yourself stuff a shot first... i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips they have such as how to start where to start what little tools should i have what NOT to do anything that will make this go easlier for me!! i will most likely be doing it alone so if theres anything you can help me with that? i have the back window (full no slideing window) the 2 side windows and i have 2 triangle windows!! thanks for you help!!

Old 10-07-2002, 11:13 PM
chadburns
Junior User
chadburns is starting off with a positive reputation.

It has been years since I did this myself, but if I recall correctly here are my tips...SHARP razor blades for cutting and lots of water in a spray bottle. get a little rubber squeegy thingy for smoothing it out, too. They sell them for just this application. And patience! Don't get any air bubbles under it..it will look terrible in a very short time! Good luck! That last one I did was an '86 Pontiac Fiero a long time ago, and it turned out real nice.

Old 10-09-2002, 05:15 PM
weaver79
Freshman User
weaver79 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Have to diffenetly have a sharp razor, squige, lots or water in bottle too, in w/ the water I put a little baby shampoo to help make it easy and stick. My buddy and I did my '79 SuperCab, it turned out real good, I had full back window too! You might want to get some help though, it makes it easy. Take your sweet time to make sure it is done right.

But after 4 years it turned purple. I just got it redone recently I like it professionaly done better.

weaver79

'79 f150 Ranger SuperCab w/351M mildly modified

Old 10-09-2002, 07:59 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
the4by4freek is starting off with a positive reputation.

I used to work at a tint shop part time. We found that the easiest way to tint was to cut the peices to fit first. Make sure that the clear plastic film on the tint is against the glass before you cut! Spray some water on the glass, get your tint cut to a length about 1/2" longer than your window. Stick the tint,(Plastic film to the window), with water,squeege out the excess,then cut tint to the correct shape of the glass. We also found it easier to remove door panels. It allows you to place the tint behind the window gaskets. Just be sure the window is absolutely spotless before you stick the tint to it, any dirt or smudges,or streaks will be there forever! Use a spray bottle with water and dish soap. Only use a little bit of soap, it only acts as a lubricant for the squeegee. Spray the glass,spray the tint as you separate the clear film from the tint film. after you have the tint on the glass and positioned where you want it,spray the inside of the tint. Start squeeging from the center and work to the corners and edges. The tint will have a tendancy to bubble back up on the edges. Be sure to remove all air bubbles with squeegee. If needed you can rewet the inside so the squeegee will slide easily. It is a delicate process which takes a little patience. Work carfully and you will be happy with the results! I have tinted just about every vehicle that you can think of, and pickups are the easiest to do. The biggest problem with the back window is, that when you squeegee out the water it will sit on the sill of the window and bleed back up into the tint. The easiest way to solve this problem is with a paper towel. As soon as you squeegee out the water you will need to blot the excess away from the bottom. Hope this helps you out. Take your time, make sure you have a clean work surface to separate the tint layers, use plenty of water, and most of all be PATIENT! if you follow these steps you will find that there is nothing to it.

Old 10-10-2002, 06:14 AM
spacecoast
Senior User
spacecoast is starting off with a positive reputation.

Before you tint - be sure to check the law in your state as to how tinted it can be.

Old 10-10-2002, 07:07 PM
kyfordman
Freshman User
kyfordman is starting off with a positive reputation.

The4by4freak hit it on the head. Do what he recommends and it will turn out good. The only thing I have to add is that to clean the windows prior to applying the tint you need to scrape them with a razor blade to make sure everything is removed. Spray the window and scrape it will its wet. Do not work in direct sunlight. Baby shampoo and water in the spray bottle is what I've used, but only a couple drops because too much will leave a haze. I also like to use distilled water because it has no chemicals to later form spots or haze. The most important thing is patience, and lots of it. One last thing (a professional gave me this tip), the more you work with tint the worse its gonna look. You won't to get it one there squeegee the excess water and air bubbles out, then leave it alone. Some small water bubbles will be there when you are finished but in a couple of days they will evaporate. Don't roll your windows down for a least 48 hours. Hope this helps.

Kyfordman

Old 10-18-2002, 10:24 PM
mike460
Elder User
mike460 is starting off with a positive reputation.

oh, and another tip...when you get done, dont clean it with anything but what says it is safe for tinted windows. seen too many great tint jobs ruined by people that use cleaner with ammonia in it. my truck got tinted more than four years ago and it is still the same shade and darkness as when i got it tinted(found out the hard way, somebody busted out a window and i had to have it replaced and re-tinted)

mike

Old 10-25-2002, 11:36 AM
tsheriff
Elder User
tsheriff is starting off with a positive reputation.

THE EASYEST BLADE TO USE TO CUT IT AN EXACTO KNIFE HANDEL WITH A 45DEGREE BLADE ON IT. hAVE SOMEONE HELP YOU, ITS HARD TO HOLD SPRAY AND POSITION EVERYTHNING YOUR SELF.

Old 10-26-2002, 08:10 PM
XJeepGuy
Senior User
XJeepGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.