Notices

Hmmm... rust converted to paint??

Old 08-23-2002, 01:20 PM
Carlene
Admom
Carlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputation

Old 10-05-2002, 11:13 AM
GolferSA
Elder User
GolferSA is starting off with a positive reputation.

Has anyone heard of or had experience with any of the products that claim to "convert rust to paint?" One of the most prevelent is called "Rust Doctor" and you can buy it at WalMart... thought it might be good on surface rusted frame rails, etc... from their website:

"Rust Doctor is a water based latex product that allows you to paint over rusty metal and then topcoat with any kind of paint without the need to sand or grind to bare metal This unique product chemically converts the rust to magnetite which is a very hard form of iron oxide. Because magnetite is inert (will not react with moisture and oxygen), it creates a protective layer the keeps the metal from rusting. In addition, a latex primer is left on the surface, allowing for topcoating with any kind of paint. In one simple step, the rust is converted to magnetite and the surface is primed."

Appreciate any input...
Thanks!

GolferSA
67 Ford F100 Custom Cab
352V8 C6 Auto Factory Air
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=5688&.jpg
[email protected]
Check out my gallery!

Old 10-05-2002, 07:45 PM
galaxiefiveohoh
Senior User
galaxiefiveohoh is starting off with a positive reputation.

A few years ago I had a '79 Bronco that had bad rust around the rear wheels. I attached flares to hide the rust but first used one of the "rust converter" products with GREAT results. After removing all the loose rust I lathered on a hefty coat of the converter and that was the end of it. No new rust!

Old 10-07-2002, 07:04 AM
AOGDEN
Senior User
AOGDEN is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have used the Permatex version and had good luck with it. After 2.5 years the rust hadn't come back through.

Old 10-09-2002, 05:14 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.

I've used such products on occasion. results were pretty good.
Brian A

Old 10-11-2002, 12:34 PM
AlM
Posting Guru
AlM is starting off with a positive reputation.

As stated, there are good products on the market.

Some like POR-15.

http://www.por15.com/

Do a search here for POR-15 and decide.

Old 10-21-2002, 11:41 PM
Rascallyone
New User
Rascallyone is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post Hmmm... rust converted to paint??

Eastwood Company has several of different rust conversion paints that are as good as they come. They also have correct color chasis black and so on to keep your truck looking sharp. I have used their "Corroless Rust Preventer/Converter" paint with excellent results as well as several other of their products. www.eastwood company.com

Old 10-22-2002, 09:08 PM
GolferSA
Elder User
GolferSA is starting off with a positive reputation.

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-Oct-02 AT 10:09 PM (EST)]Rascal...

I actually tried the Wal-Mart brand at $3.95 a 16oz. spray can and was mucho impressed with the results! Sprayed it on the back side of some badly rusted rims, 3 coats 10 mins. apart and turned black and solid overnight! Top coated with grey engine paint, looks great.

GolferSA
67 Ford F100 Custom Cab
352V8 C6 Auto Factory Air
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=5688&.jpg
[email protected]
Check out my gallery!

Old 10-26-2002, 10:58 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
924x2150 has a good reputation on FTE.924x2150 has a good reputation on FTE.924x2150 has a good reputation on FTE.

I read somewhere on FTE that hirsch automotive sells something called miracle paint. Seals in the rust and even works better if done on a wet, humid day. I think you can type in some variation of hirschauto.com and find it. I hope I rememebered the names correctly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.