Sponsored by: Moser

cheap spray in bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
cheap spray in bed liner

Out of all the "do it yourself" ones. Which ones come out best. I used Hurculiner before and i was not pleased. I want to do Line-x but this is not my truck. It is for Josh's 79. It will never haul anything. The Hurculiner was so cheap, i am not using that again! Anyone ever use POR15 bed liner, or any other type

Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 AM
hp246
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I used Gatorguard from Eastwood. I didn't use it in the normal way though. I used it to line the floor of the cab of the truck pus to protect the underside of my fiberglass fenders. It can be sprayed with a bedliner sprayer or brushed on. I brushed it on. No complaints for what I used if for. So far no chipping. Its been on for about a year, but this isn't an everyday driver.

I've also used some of the aerosol can stuff for touchups (Duplicolor) , and to cover part way up on the sides of the bed to give a two tone look (SEM). No complaints there either but neither is getting any hard use.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:14 PM
hacking_in2002
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen Gatorguard used a couple of times. One was in a King Ranch F-150 and the other in a '79.
They sprayed in well,looked really good, and both of the owners of these trucks said they're holding up really well.
Plan on using it in my own pickup in the next month or so!

Old 08-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Spray in bedliner is the way to go; I've never seen a brush / rolled type liner last or look smooth in my opinion.
Speedliner sprayed in my 65 model; waiting for my buddy to reopen his shop and spray my recent 78 F100 I've restored.

Mitch

Old 08-01-2009, 01:47 PM
SeattleWills
Junior User
I think most of the do it your self ones will work if you do all the prep correct. I have used the herculiner from Home Depot I think a few years ago with no problems. You just have to sand and sand and clean and clean so that every little spot will stick good to the surface. If the paint/metal is smooth you need to make a good bond for the liner to stick too. Lots of work but it can look nice and last a long time if done correctly, just dont get in a hurry to get it done.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:01 PM
superd02
Senior User
im gonna back up the gator guard as well
we use it at work its easy to use and fair priced

its the best ive used but i will say that if your going to "USE" your truck to throw a rubber mat over it

the second week i had it in my truck i loaded a pallet of block in there and the forklift guy scraped it up pretty bad

however repairing/topcaoting it made it look new again.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by SeattleWills
I think most of the do it your self ones will work if you do all the prep correct. I have used the herculiner from Home Depot I think a few years ago with no problems. You just have to sand and sand and clean and clean so that every little spot will stick good to the surface. If the paint/metal is smooth you need to make a good bond for the liner to stick too. Lots of work but it can look nice and last a long time if done correctly, just dont get in a hurry to get it done.
I sandblasted a bed and the hurculiner didnt stick. I wouldn't use it again if it was given to me. I used a power washer to strip the liner out.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Like was said, it's all in the prep.

If all you did was sandblast and then apply the bedliner then no wonder it didn't stick.

The bedliner needs quite a bit of "tooth" to stick, and also you should notice on most of those applications they say to NOT apply to bare metal, but to scuffed paint.

Josh

Old 08-02-2009, 12:36 AM
superd02
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390

If all you did was sandblast and then apply the bedliner then no wonder it didn't stick.

The bedliner needs quite a bit of "tooth" to stick, and also you should notice on most of those applications they say to NOT apply to bare metal, but to scuffed paint.

Josh
there is an acid treatment that we have to put over the scuffed paint when we do bed liners or the company wont warranty their product

Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
bill015
New User
I have Qwikliner and it works well. QWIK LINER Spray-On bedliner is industry proven to provide my truck bed with anti skid, permanent abrasion-resistant protection. The unique flexible, textured, non-porous lining is easy to clean and will not warp, crack or peel.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 PM
superd02
Senior User
Originally Posted by bill015
I have Qwikliner and it works well. QWIK LINER Spray-On bedliner is industry proven to provide my truck bed with anti skid, permanent abrasion-resistant protection. The unique flexible, textured, non-porous lining is easy to clean and will not warp, crack or peel.

is that what the can says?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:47 PM
70 Bronco TX
Senior User
Originally Posted by superd02
is that what the can says?
Too funny!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:04 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts
Ck this brand out, have heard pretty good reviews on FTE about it. I am going to give it a try in the cab of ol Red.

http://www.durabakcompany.com/

Old 08-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Bullitt390

Josh
I'm sorry, but if freshly sandblasted metal does not give enough "bite" NOTHING will

Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 AM
hacking_in2002
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I'm sorry, but if freshly sandblasted metal does not give enough "bite" NOTHING will
So far the only thing that I have used that calls for sandblasted metal is powdercoating. Everything else requires some specific grit scratch to adhere to. Check this article out http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...ner/index.html

They say that Line-X shops they spoke with recommended using a die grinder to cut patterns on the surface for adhesion!

Quick Reply: cheap spray in bed liner