Sponsored by: Moser

junkyard rant...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:23 PM
zak8tac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
junkyard rant...

So yesterday I drive up to visit my fav junkyard. Its closed until further notice, so I stop by the yard next door to it. Apparently the owner died so they are deciding what to do with it. So this other yard wont let you pull anything but he said I could walk around to search for what I need, let him know and his guy will pull it. I find an imaculate set of clear blinker lenses as well as a great condition fan shroud (both of which are impossible to come by in a yard around here). He wants 35 bucks a piece on the blinkers and 50 for the shroud. What an a$$, I ask, what is the point of having a junkyard if you wont sell anything, and the stuff your willing to sell is more expensive than brand new aftermarket equipment????? I HATE PEOPLE!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 01:28 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is way pricey! I bought a orange front turn signal lens for a 78' for $17 and I thought that was high.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:32 PM
zak8tac
Senior User
yea I had clear and one busted, so I got a pair of orange for 20 I think. I was just hoping to find some perfect clear ones, and I guess when I did the peeps don't want to see them go!

Old 06-17-2009, 02:20 PM
terceslil
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have one around here that charges a lot more than "U Pull It" and "Pull A Part". They will go let you look, but they are really set up to pull the part themselves and charge you retail for a used part.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:41 PM
SeattleWills
Junior User
That sucks, I have ran into that with some parts also. I think they figure if you want original parts you will pay.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:16 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yea I only go to the U-Auto-Pull-It (very reasonable) now, because the other places here in town are crazy with their prices!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My town its slim pickins (Crush them to fast) and one day they sell base on eating at Mickey D's; then the next day for the same part there planning to eat at o'charley's.
Never a set price. I drive 45mins to Pull-a-part just becuase of the set price and well organized yard. Just getting harder to find parts, fighting those body shop strippers.

Mitch

Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 PM
78f250lj
Senior User
That's why they are junk yard people....you have to learn how to talk junkyard to them. Even though you were looking for lenses I would ask how much for a steering wheel or radio first, even though you don't want it...then ask for what you really want. Believe me it works.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a crappy place by me, if you are not buying the front clip, motor, transmission, or entire drive line, they blow you off. About eight years ago, I bought a pair of Ford rims for a company vehicle which they painfully let go for $50 back then!

I stopped a year ago to grab a headlight trim ring, there were milk crates (3 or 4) setting out front full of headlights, trim rings, headlight buckets etc. They told me they didn't have any. I posed my question to them again in case they didn't hear me right and I got the same answer.
Since then, I spoke with several people who had the same problem, and no longer even consider them even if they need one of those big ticket items.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Same situation around here too. A few really good junkyards have gone from u-pull-it to "we'll give you what we want to give you"

No thanks.

There is a Pull-n-Save about an hour away that runs specials every weekend. Sometimes you can get complete engines for $29 or transmissions for $15.

Once a year they have pull-a-thons as well. Whatever you can carry 20 feet or whatever you can have for $5. So you'll see guys stacking whatever they can on an old hood... axles, blocks, transmissions... it's hilarious to watch.

Josh

Old 06-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Craigwell
More Turbo
I also prefer the "pick-a-part" style of junkyards. Some of the ones in Western Canada are really good, both on prices, and on trucks to pick through.

Come here to Eastern Canada however, and all you get are the yards that give you what they want, at high prices. Also, the selection of dent sides trucks here isn't so great, either immaculate high priced trucks, or ones ready to disintegrate.

Parts trucks are the way to go here, but I can only get away with one or two of those at a time with the wife.

My time in B.C. spoiled me with trucks, and the body on my high boy is almost perfect.

The 85 and 78 I have are another story. I'm still welding metal into the 78 before I rob the engine / trans from the 85.

Makes me shake my head

Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only U-Pull parts are at least an hour away from me. And the best U-pull it is 4 hours away.

The local yards are your typical "we pull and rape you on prices without lube, and you'll like it, boy". And you can't even buy a whole car out of a yard.

I remember one time when the U-pull ran a $5 special. I saw six good ol' boys carrying a '80s Dodge Ram 50 truck by themselves. Yes, a complete VEHICLE. The junkman couldn't get over it.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
We only have one junk yard in our entire county, it's of the you pull the part yourself variety, he has two seperate yards about a mile apart from each other, one for the '80 and up junk and one for the '79 and older stuff, his office is located at the new yard, the old yard isn't even manned he just basically runs it on the honor system, you pull what you need bring it down to the office and pay, his prices are very reasonable e.g. i found a set of cherry condition fomoco west coast mirrors a few years back and he let me have em for 40 bucks, he usually has 6 or 7 dentsides in various states of disrepair on hand at any given time.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:21 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While living (?) in MD, took a trip to "Crazy Ray's u-pullit". 1st and last trip. Charged me $1.00 "admission", and proceeded to mark all my tools with a sharpie, so that I wouldn't run off with their tools. Bad part was, you pulled your parts, took them to the window, and then got the price. If you didn't like the price, just leave it there.

The purposes of the Second Amendment include self-defense, hunting, sport, and some certainly would say, as would I, the protection of individual rights against a potentially despotic central government.” ~ Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI)

Old 06-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Brewski
Senior User
I wonder sometimes if "auto recyclers" are just a moody bunch of folks. For the most part I've nothing but good experiences with them. However, one time I went to a yard I had never been to before and asked about a tailgate for my 73 F100. The guy said he had 2. He said his insurance would NOT allow me to go look at the tailgate (it may be in worse condition than the one I have). He would have to load the whole truck on a forklift and bring it to me! Even worse, I had to agree to purchase the tailgate at his asking price, WITHOUT SEEING IT FIRST. That was the first time I had ever been told anything like that in 20 years of lurking around junkyards.

Here's the craziest part of the story. I've been back there several times to check on parts and he now has no problem with me looking around. He even looks for dentsides because he knows I like them.

By the way, the bottom half of one tailgate was rusted away. As in, swiss cheese, mostly air! The other was from the previous generation of truck.