1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Jag IFS Questions...............

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:36 AM
rpol7966
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jag IFS Questions...............

I just scored a complete Jag IFS for less than $200.00! It's out of a '86 XJ6. My plans are to use it in my '50 F1.
It's still in the car and I need some input on what we need to save when removing it.
Here are some other questions: Are the power steering and brake hose fittings metric? What hoses did any of you use in your conversions? I know the rotors have a Chevy 4 3/4"X5" bolt pattern with 1/2" studs. Can the studs be replaced with 7/16" studs which are common for the Chevy pattern? I know I need the intermediate steering shaft out of the Jag. What U joint will work to mate this shaft to a Chevy 3/4" spline column? These questions have been lingering in my feeble mind for some time! Any other tips and info would be appreciated. I have read most all of the Jag IFS threads with great interest.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look up Holmsey on here or go HERE where he is easier to find and contact. he has a really nice website, www.uk-hotrods.co.uk with tons of pictures to look at. he is in the UK

Later Man...

Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 PM
bltemple
New User
Where are you located? I just obtained an 83 XJS and have many of the same questions as you. The website mentioned above has a lot of great info you should read through it.
I'm in athens ga

Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 AM
rpol7966
Junior User
I'm in east central Illinois. I have talked to 49willard(Bill) several times. He is very helpful. He is very upbeat about using the Jag IFS in our trucks. The strange thing about this is that no one has actually completed their project so we can get any feedback. From all my research, the Jag conversion seems almost too easy for what the results yield. It's my opinion that this conversion is light years ahead of a Mustang II based on ease of installation and strength.
I would enjoy visiting with you about your project. Give me a call 217 932-4956 (home) or 217 663-5252(cell) Tim

Old 06-10-2009, 05:35 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Jag f/e conversions for 53 - 56 f100's has been done heaps of times here in Australia , and is by far the most popular conversion here.
I have a 36 ford coupe fitted with a mustang II f/e , and my opinion is they are not up to the weight of these trucks , jag is the only way to go ..
The ride and braking the jag f/e gives you will be HEAPS better than a mustang II , and is a hell of a lot easier to do .

Old 06-11-2009, 05:55 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by rpol7966
I'm in east central Illinois. I have talked to 49willard(Bill) several times. He is very helpful. He is very upbeat about using the Jag IFS in our trucks. The strange thing about this is that no one has actually completed their project so we can get any feedback. From all my research, the Jag conversion seems almost too easy for what the results yield. It's my opinion that this conversion is light years ahead of a Mustang II based on ease of installation and strength.
I would enjoy visiting with you about your project. Give me a call 217 932-4956 (home) or 217 663-5252(cell) Tim
Tim,
Holmsey for one is definately driving his 55 with the Jag IFS and IRS. He has a video of him driving it that I use to have. I am still in process but like many others I do have other projects that have slowed my progress on Willard. I can't remember spline counts on the Jag but I know that it is common. I seem to remember that it is 3/4" and 36 splines but you need to count. I mated my Jag IFS to a mid 70's T-bird column. It required welding. To avoid welding somewhere in the steering shaft would have meant not using the original Jag Z joint. Since I soft mounted the suspension like the original, I wanted the Z joint. Welding in the crossmember would avoid the need to soft mount. Grab the power steering pump from the Jag. It should be Saginaw. You will need to make up custom length hoses and any good shop making hoses will have whatever ends that you need. One hint, do not go short on the high pressure side hose between the pump discharge and the inlet to the rack, Jag had problems in the right had drive cars originally (as I remember it) which originally had a short hose. I will run my hose down and back in my boxed frame rail to keep it clean.

Good score on the IFS!

EDIT: Make that a 3/4" X 48 spline

Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 AM
robertr
Senior User
Hmm .... $200 for a Jag IFS is a good deal! I'm just beginning to dismantle an XJ6 (84 year) to snag that ... and gave $325 for the whole car. From what I have off so far, the car has a wealth of goodies that can be used. It has great looking gauges (6), a bunch of rocker switches, a very unique trans cooler that fits in the lower radiator hose setup, V - belt tensioners that are just cool, a bunch of fancy acorn nuts all over the motor, a huge engine oil cooler, an extendable steering column complete with two u-joints and the z joint, a cable drive system for windshield wipers, a nifty electric fan to assist with the cooling of the radiator plus a very large mechanical clutch fan on the water pump that looks like it might fit a GM water pump, a cool cable drive electric lift antennae (still trying to figure out how to get that rascal out of the car), a pair of flip top gas filler caps (just one tank though?), and of course the IFS, and the IRS units.

All in all this organ donor car has more very useful stuff for an F1 than anything I've ever looked at. Even the fasteners are cool .... most are NF inch measure stuff.

I am seeing that the front mount brackets for the IFS will be of use, so I'll be whacking those off too. The last thing I'll probably save will be the trans. It's supposed to be
a TH 350 that can be bolted up to an SBC?? I'll know once it is out.

Fun stuff .... but the car is a pain to work on. So much of the bracketing and mounts are way over built, and take forever to get off. Oh well .... all in good time

RG in Spokane

Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 AM
robertr
Senior User
Hmm .... $200 for a Jag IFS is a good deal! I'm just beginning to dismantle an XJ6 (84 year) to snag that ... and gave $325 for the whole car. From what I have off so far, the car has a wealth of goodies that can be used. It has great looking gauges (6), a bunch of rocker switches, a very unique trans cooler that fits in the lower radiator hose setup, V - belt tensioners that are just cool, a bunch of fancy acorn nuts all over the motor, a huge engine oil cooler, an extendable steering column complete with two u-joints and the z joint, a cable drive system for windshield wipers, a nifty electric fan to assist with the cooling of the radiator plus a very large mechanical clutch fan on the water pump that looks like it might fit a GM water pump, a cool cable drive electric lift antennae (still trying to figure out how to get that rascal out of the car), a pair of flip top gas filler caps (just one tank though?), and of course the IFS, and the IRS units.

All in all this organ donor car has more very useful stuff for an F1 than anything I've ever looked at. Even the fasteners are cool .... most are NF inch measure stuff.

I am seeing that the front mount brackets for the IFS will be of use, so I'll be whacking those off too. The last thing I'll probably save will be the trans. It's supposed to be
a TH 350 that can be bolted up to an SBC?? I'll know once it is out.

Fun stuff .... but the car is a pain to work on. So much of the bracketing and mounts are way over built, and take forever to get off. Oh well .... all in good time

RG in Spokane

Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
robertr,
I would shy away from things electrical on Jaguar. Lucus is the "Prince of Darkness". I remember in the late 70's I had an aquaintance that owned an E Jag that he installed a sbc in. His comment about the switches that are so neat looking was that they look great but are not reliable, go to NAPA!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I bought my jag ifs for $125,for my 51 F1 it is sitting on
a stand for now.it will be quite a while before
i get started on it.it took me a long time to
find one here in florida.i guess that they were around
but i just coulnd'nt find one.Great find & a good price too
lots of luck

Old 06-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Aussie 53
Tuned
Hi guys, my 53 has been on the road now since March and I have done over 1500km in the truck with the Jag front end. Some people on this forum would like some feedback on how the jag IFS matches up with other IFS on the market. Firstly the Jag IFS handles very well. it won't hug the corners like a modern built car, but it will keep you on the road. As for feeling every bump on the road while you cruise, you will certainly feel them, not as much. You have to remember that you are still putting in a IFS from a 80's model car, so you are getting 80's technology. So don't expect to get 21st century performance from a 80's vechile. All in all the jag IFS is a good quality front end to graft in our trucks. If you need to some info on the Jag front just buzz me and I'll help where I can.
Cheers Aussie 53 (Paul)

Old 06-13-2009, 09:24 AM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Here are some pics of a jag xj6 f/e a friend of mine has fitted to his 54 f100 chassis , you will note the front and rear mounts have been removed and the f/e has been solidly mounted by means of 4 bolts per side , which means it can be removed if need be for any reason .

Old 06-13-2009, 09:09 PM
robertr
Senior User
Shock mount for the Jag IFA??

seaves46,

Is there a possiblity of seeing a photo that shows the shock mount on your friend's truck? Maybe others have some photos of that too. That's the one part of fabrication here I am not sorted out on yet.

Thanks

RG in Spokane

Old 06-13-2009, 10:31 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
I have just sent my friend an email asking for a few more pics as he is a fair distance from my house .
I will post them up here as soon as he sends them .

Old 06-13-2009, 10:42 PM
robertr
Senior User
seaves46,

Thanks!!! That will be great!

RG

Quick Reply: Jag IFS Questions...............