1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing a Triler

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 PM
bullfrog831
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing a Triler

I have a 2001 F250 4X4 short bed crew cab. I just bought a 24' travel trailer that lists a GVWR of 7320 pounds. I have the factory installed tow package and just had the electric trailer brake installed. Do I need sway bars? I don't plan long trips, usually about 100 miles.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 PM
c.f.moore
Senior User
Are you talking sway control devices for the torsion weight transfer bars?

You may need the torsion weight transfer bars. Your tongue weight will probably be in the the 7-900# area and your hitch receiver is probably rated at 500# without the bars and 1500# with bars. The standard torsion bars do help with some sway control. Equalizer has sway control built into their system. the upper end Reese has built in sway control also. You can add sway control devices to most any system.

Good luck

Old 06-01-2009, 05:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,553 Likes on 1,107 Posts
I would be using some sway control. You never know if it will be windy, raining, 18 wheeler coming by or whatever.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I break the rules a bit with my 28' travel trailer. I don't use the weight distribution bars BUT I never go anywhere without the sway bar. I use the cheap friction type and they work great.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:33 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
For a trailer of that size, the anti-sway may not be necessary, but wouldn't hurt. Weight distribution is highly recommended. I have just the weight distribution, and as noted above, it provides a little bit of sway control, but if you're in an area where it tends to be windy, or big trucks and such passing you, you will probably want to invest in a sway control as well.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Texas Bob
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Towing a Trailer

I towed a 24' pull behind travel trailer for over 50,000 miles from 2000 - 2006. I would never leave without torsion bars or the sway bar. The torsion bars distribute the load between the front wheels and the rear wheels so you are driving roughly on a flat plane. The difference between having the torsion bars and not is huge.

The sway bar really only comes in play when you have a swaying problem caused by wet roads, wind, rough roads and passing trucks. Which means you really need this all the time. Both of these are essential if you want to keep your rig on the road.

Some guys who drive construction or car hauler trailers will perhaps disagree. But a travel trailer presents a much larger surface for the wind to impact and has a higher center of gravity.

That said, the most important thing from a safety standpoint on a travel trailer is to grease the wheel bearings about once a year or so. Some folks use EZ bearings with a nipple that allows you to put grease in under pressure to keep water out. This is a good idea for a boat trailer. However, the weak point is the inner seal. Yesterday, I greased our bearings on the current trailer, a fifth wheel. There was plenty of grease on the bearings, the bearings looked good but the grease was starting to seep under the seal. Down the road, if would have gotten on the brake shoes and that would have been another story.

Just one more thought. If you are going to sites without power (dry camping), change your 12 volt battery for two 6 volts golf cart batteries. It took me a year to figure this out. You'll get much more capacity from the golf cart batteries.

Good luck.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Gearitis
Laughing Gas

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey TexasBob, what are you using to tow with? I go to a lot of races and of course NASCAR at TMS. I just got back from going to the INDY race at Texas Motor Speedway. I have a 07 F-250, XLT, FX4, 16,000 miles with all the towing options plus camper package. I weighed out with TT and Truck, loaded with water, empty grays and blacks, and I had all the stuff that you take to a NASCAR or INDY race, you know, grills, lumber, lots of beer and all the other stuff. I weighed it in @ 15,550 lbs. I traveled 240 miles round trip, traveled at 65-70 on I-35, and the truck cruised like a charm (even used cruise control). Now RPM's stayed at 3 grand or higer, and I had a 15 mph head wind both ways and it was 95 degrees. 8 mpg was my average and I was satisfied with that. I do not have sway bars, never had a problem, the hitch is a "weight distrubution hitch". I made sure I had 75 psi in the tires and 65 in the TT. From what I am seeing here, the concensus is that sway bars are highly reccommended.
I was just curious on what problems you have run into without the bars?

Oh BTW, I agree on the Golf cart batteries.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 PM
bullfrog831
New User
Towing Trailer

Thanks for all of the great info. I''m getting both the weight distribution and sway bars installed tomorrow, based on your input. Good to get info from people with experience.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:50 AM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bullfrog831 Go to etrailer.com On the very top of the page, click on customer service, then under the subheading Towing, click weight distribution. There you will find 7 videos on how to set up a weight distribution hitch and sway control. Happy camping!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:11 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

YES!