Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

PCM Upgrade planning

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:13 AM
stemo76
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been working with Bill from powerhungry and he sent me a list of DCP-422 boxes but didn't specify any to pick over others or ones to avoid. I don't like my stock shifting. Seems to lug and shift to much in whindy hilly roads. With my tune installed it much better.

I am having other strange issues. 10mpg, noisey engine, and a steady knock at idle, and hard starts below 40 degrees. Replaced injectors, HPOP, Glow plugs, valve cover wiring, ICP gauged installed and Fuel pressure gauged installed show good flow. Jim Rose mentioned to me that the early 99 had some problems with tunes so I thought this might be something I try.

Any post or site out there that gives more info on the different PCMs? I have seen lists with a small description but it generally has to do with US or CA, cold winters or warm winters. nothing to do with shift patterns.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Once you pick a 422 box, just get tunes from any vendor that are compatible. Like I said, most are going to be PMT1 based programs.

If you need to try a stocker, any one will work....be aware though that the shifting may be way different than what you're used to or it may be very similar. To me, most programming sucks. They run ok, but the shifting is stupid.

I have quite a few different DPC-422 trucks. I prefer the NVK2 over the NVK4, the PMT1 over the PMT2, and any one of them over the MRT2.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:48 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by stemo76
I have been working with Bill from powerhungry and he sent me a list of DCP-422 boxes but didn't specify any to pick over others or ones to avoid. I don't like my stock shifting. Seems to lug and shift to much in whindy hilly roads. With my tune installed it much better.

I am having other strange issues. 10mpg, noisey engine, and a steady knock at idle, and hard starts below 40 degrees. Replaced injectors, HPOP, Glow plugs, valve cover wiring, ICP gauged installed and Fuel pressure gauged installed show good flow. Jim Rose mentioned to me that the early 99 had some problems with tunes so I thought this might be something I try.

Any post or site out there that gives more info on the different PCMs? I have seen lists with a small description but it generally has to do with US or CA, cold winters or warm winters. nothing to do with shift patterns.
Have you talked with Bill to see if he can adjust your tunes to help with some of the problems?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:59 AM
stemo76
Senior User

ya, he spent 4 hours with me when he was out in Monroe for Dynomites event on the 10th. I haven't been able to test for any milage increase since I took my truck apart to check for a weak injector and to do a compression test. Can't believe I can't find a compression tester around that will work on the 7.3. Had to order one so I am just waiting. Once I have those compression numbers (I have my fingers crossed they are all fine) I will pull my injectors and view the seals and washer. If nothing there send the injectors back to Jim Rose so he can confirm they are all in good shape.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:41 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Well hopefully you get it sorted out... you've done a lot of work so far!
Sure wish I would have been able to make the DDP open house, sounds like a good time was had by all.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stemo76
ya, he spent 4 hours with me when he was out in Monroe for Dynomites event on the 10th. I haven't been able to test for any milage increase since I took my truck apart to check for a weak injector and to do a compression test. Can't believe I can't find a compression tester around that will work on the 7.3. Had to order one so I am just waiting. Once I have those compression numbers (I have my fingers crossed they are all fine) I will pull my injectors and view the seals and washer. If nothing there send the injectors back to Jim Rose so he can confirm they are all in good shape.
Well please keep us posted with what you find. I am interested to know what you find because I think my engine is a bit noisier then it should be, but that could be me. When I hear another ford truck that is 99 to 03 they always seem to be quieter then mine and I'm not talking exhaust noise, I'm talking just engine noise.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 AM
stemo76
Senior User

Will do, waiting for my compression tester to come in the mail. god I hope if fits. I got one locally that says fits the 7.3l and it does have a fitting for it but you can't connect to the fitting with the coupler due to the valvetrain. The one I ordered is just the 7.3l glow plug adapter with a hose so it should work.

After that test I am pulling all the injectors out to visually check the orings, washers and the holes they go into for scoring or debris. Jim Rose said he would take a look at the injectors for me.

If that all checks out then I might just have to give jody a call and see if he will do a drive before you buy tune. then I can compare that to Bills and hypertech and see whats working and what isn't.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Visseroth
Well please keep us posted with what you find. I am interested to know what you find because I think my engine is a bit noisier then it should be, but that could be me. When I hear another ford truck that is 99 to 03 they always seem to be quieter then mine and I'm not talking exhaust noise, I'm talking just engine noise.
Didn't seem that loud to me...

Old 07-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Didn't seem that loud to me...
Well have you noticed yours is louder then some of the diesels out there? Maybe it's just me but yours and mine seemed to have about the same amount of noise. Maybe I just have PMS and that's all there is to it but I'm still interested in finding out his results.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Visseroth
Well have you noticed yours is louder then some of the diesels out there? Maybe it's just me but yours and mine seemed to have about the same amount of noise. Maybe I just have PMS and that's all there is to it but I'm still interested in finding out his results.
Mine doesn't seem any louder than any other 7.3 I've heard. They are all loud Mine did get a bit quieter lately for some reason... either that or I'm just now getting used to it.