Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

5-Speed Manual to E40D Auto-Trans Conversion 93 7.3L F-350 - INFO PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 AM
scso1502
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 5-Speed Manual to E40D Auto-Trans Conversion 93 7.3L F-350 - INFO PLEASE

5-Speed Manual to E40D Auto-Trans Conversion 93 7.3L F-350
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> So here's a few questions for all of you experts here. I have a 93 F-350 7.3L with a 5-speed transmission. I added a Banks Turbo system to it a few years back and thank God I did. What difference.

Anyway, after replacing the clutch to resolve a major clutch chatter problem failed, as well as numerous other attempts to resolve the chatter problem, I'm now seriously considering swapping the tranny to an automatic because I think the tranny is where my problem lies. I like the idea of running a later model E40D, but I understand there are a lot of other associated electronic parts that need to be installed when using that tranny that I do not already in my truck. An alternative could be a simpler change over to a more basic transmission, but I don't know what all would be involved with that option either.

I've been driving this 5-speed manual transmission since I bought this truck 15 years ago in back '94, and seeings how the clutch chatter may finally be my catalyst for a tranny swap, I thought I might as well just do it. I know there is a lot of work including changing the steering column and other components, but is it worth the time and effort and is there somewhere you know of that I can go to find all the steps and components necessary to make this swap? A friend of mine most likely has a truck with the parts I need in his junk yard, but where to start and what all I'd need is the mystery I'm hoping you guys can clear up for me. So here's a summary of my questions:

1. Is this worth even doing or am I nuts?
2. Should I go E40D or some other alternative?
3. What all is needed for the swap based upon the choice in #2

If I move forward with this, I plan to document the whole process for others here who want to do the same thing.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mike Vail
Windsor, Ca. USA

Old 05-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well trying to swap an E4OD is gonna be hard. You will need a complete donor truck to do the swap.

2. A C6 would be a much easier swap, and if you put a gear vendors over drive on that you will essentialy have a 6 speed. My C6, Gearvendors combo is the only auto I would ever have. I still would prefer a 5spd, but bein this is all mechanical it suits me.

3. The only problem with the C6 gearvendor swap is the fact that a Gearvendors unit is 3K new.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Dean88
Postmaster
Sorry I just realized I never told what you would need for an E4OD swap.

You'll need
steering column
New gauge cluster, or just put a gauge indicator in the one you have now
Driveshaft
Crossmember
The biggie will be wiring and the trans computer thingy.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:50 AM
scso1502
4wd Low
The Gear Vendors Overdrive does look very nice. But as you said, they cost a lot and between that and the other associated costs with the switch over, I fear the price could be nearly $5,000 to make the move. That's more than I can shoulder for the switch over and is almost as much as the truck is worth.

Thanks for the reply...

Old 05-26-2009, 11:51 AM
scso1502
4wd Low
I'm curious, why would you rather have a 5-speed like I have? Are there problems with running an automatic on one of these trucks? I'm very curious about that. Like I said, I've run my 5-speed for 15 years and have never owned an automatic vehicle in my life. I'm just tired of having to shift all the time and want to jump in and go now-a-days. I'm a 43-year-old town driving dad who tows a boat occasionally and does a little hauling. No racing, 4x4ing or heavy pulling is done with my truck. Should I stick with the manual transmission for some reason that I'm not aware of?

Thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
I pull alot of loads and also do alot of pasture driving, and the 5spds are much better for that. Also I just love shifting as well, it makes me feel manly.

Where are ya at in the world, I would consider making a trade with you, cuz I bet you would really like a c6 GV combo, but you might want to take the shift kit out of my C6 if you have neck problems, cuz mine shifts tight

Old 05-26-2009, 12:08 PM
scso1502
4wd Low
Hahaha I'm in California, and yes, we have pastures here too so no California jokes, ahahhahah...

Thanks for all the info. Now if I can get a list of all the electrical components and their locations in the truck so I can remove them from the donor, I'd be set.

Take care!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:22 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Have you checked the firewall by the booster for tin canning and cracks when you push the pedal....... any wear in the under dash assy will be accentuated by the time it gets to the clutch. Don't need a trans computer if you use a Bauminator settup.

http://www.becontrols.com/products/electronicscat.htm

http://www.becontrols.com/products/e4odcat.htm

Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I was going to suggest fixing the chatter...

But I see you are getting old and needing an Automatic!
(All in good humor, I am much older!)

I'll be dead stiff before I would have an Automatic in my vehicle.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-26-2009, 02:13 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only driven a diesel truck with a ZF once in my life and found it to be a bit of a drag with a clutch pedal that was quite stiff. I enjoy driving stick on normally, but that truck wasn't very nice to drive, too hard on my knee. I swapped the clutch out for a single mass conversion that was more reliable, cheaper, high power/torque rating, and had a nicer pedal feel. One of the few cases where I worked on some one else's truck.

I am biased for the E4OD but so far I haven't seen enough reason to abandon the 5 speed. What exactly did you do with the clutch and what was replaced?

The older E4OD can't be put behind a turbocharged diesel like these and be expected to last well in bone stock form. At the very least you need a stronger torque converter and shift kit. With those upgrades it is comparable to the ZF in durability and if you want to spend more, you can rebuild it bullet proof. All of this makes what you want a more expensive proposition than you may be aware of. I guess it you never tow anything, it might not matter much.

What I'm trying to tell you, is a bone stock E4OD may not hold up any better than your current transmission.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:24 PM
BRONCOPASSION
New User
If you were only closer. I would trade you. I'm sick of the auto and want a 5 speed. I swap a zf in my 93 bronco a few years ago and loved it.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:01 PM
scso1502
4wd Low
Clutch Chatter

Thanks for the input.

I would like to go for just a moment in case it may help someone.

Without getting too far of track, I too switched over to a single-mass clutch (made by Luk) about 8 years ago. The clutch worked well but I developed clutch chatter so I thought it might need to be replaced.

I replaced it with the same clutch after turning the flywheel and still got serious clutch chatter. Luk first told me turning the flywheel would be fine, but later told me to replace the flywheel instead of turning after I told them I still had clutch chatter. Consequently, I tore it apart and put a new flywheel in and the results were the same. I was pretty clear they were guessing as to the cause, but I had nothing to lose except a little more of my sanity so I tore it down again.

The clutch chatter is horrible when starting in 1st gear or reverse. It's almost non-existent when the truck is cold or left sitting overnight, but as it warms up, and is driven for about 10 minutes, the problem returns. I know bizarre!

The transmission also clunks when I release the clutch after parking it, and it makes loud gear noises in low gear when driving under 3 mph (don't know if that's normal). It's sounds like it's worn out. I didn't know that a worn tranny could cause significant clutch chatter but after having a dealer and another qualified shop check the problem, and coming up empty myself too, it's all that's left.
  • The motor mounts are good (according the dealer and a 2nd shop)
  • The tranny mount is good ((according the dealer and a 2nd shop)
  • The firewall is not cracked (according to the dealer)
  • The clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing and pilot bushing are new and it did it before those was replaced anyway
  • The throwout bearing fork is fine (according the dealer and a 2nd shop)
  • The clutch hydraulics were bled and work fine (I did that, along with the shop)
Anyway, back to my original request, thanks and keep the info coming. I'd love to hear from other people who are running Automatic transmissions in there 92-96 F-250 or F-350 4x4 truck

Take care.
Mike

Old 05-26-2009, 07:24 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think what you have is gear clatter. when I did the swap on the truck that I worked on, it too had gear clatter afterwards. Basically any condition below 1500 RPM will produce some noise. If idling along in a low gear and a front-rear bouncing happens (as any manual tranny vehicle will do if your control is not absolutely smooth), it would make sound comparable to 5lbs of loose nuts and bolts rolling around in the oil pan. It sounds very bad, but its not harming anything.

The dual mass flywheel was made to address this uncomfortable noise, but its not as reliable as a single mass flywheel. Ford has since abandoned the dual mass flywheel as did GM on their diesels. The clatter is caused by the pulses of the diesel engine as it rolls over at idle and how the gears in the transmission react to it. Again, its sounds bad but its not hurting anything unless the transmission itself is giving you shifting problems or something else. Once under load and over 1500 RPM, the noise should be gone.

The only other thing I can think of is the clutch kit I used was not the luky, but came from a company called valair in texas. I don't know if there is much quality difference, but the one I used seemed to superb. The truck I worked on was also a 1995 powerstroke, so its not completely a fair comparison.

The noise gets louder as it warms up because the transmission oil viscosity drops.

I swapped an E4OD in my truck and I love it compared to the 3 speed auto that it came with, but I went all out with internal upgrades and an aftermarket computer so mine ended up being a little pricy.