1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford why do you govern your stupid trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford why do you govern your stupid trucks

Every bloody ford I have had was governed, and its annoying as hell.

Well now I have the new truck, and its even worse than before.

Pull out to pass on a HWY, and got it to the floor, all is going well, its accelerating nicely.
Then bang, it slams into a proverbial brick wall, and just hangs there doing nothing, just coasting along.
It is lucky I am a driver that always makes sure they have way more room than is really needed to complete a pass.
Because otherwise this retarded truck would be a great reason for a head on collision while passing.

Hey ford, do us a favour and shove your speed limiters where the sun don't shine.

Curious, is ford now doing this to every vehicle they make?

Next item I am doing is finding how the limiter works, and over riding it.
If I want to only have a top speed of snail, I would have bought a snail....thanks for nothing ford.

Honestly I am just sorry I bought a new truck....I have liked all my ford trucks, right up until my new 09 F350....this thing would best be used for bomb testing by the army.

I am seriously considering selling it, and buying a new GMC 3500.

Never thought I would say that, but i am close to doing it.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:44 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All vehicles are governed one way or another....
some by their hp, some by their tires, some by .....

Ford has probably been sued enough to MAKE them govern it...

Be mad at your favorite attorney

(Would guess you'll REALLY get mad when the obamination limits all cars to the NEW GM "Beau-O-Crat" hybird lol

OH, and my Excursion is not limited....
course I probably won't be going 140 mh on my 100 mph tires any time soon

Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM
tin-man
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Saleenguy
Every bloody ford I have had was governed, and its annoying as hell.

Well now I have the new truck, and its even worse than before.

Pull out to pass on a HWY, and got it to the floor, all is going well, its accelerating nicely.
Then bang, it slams into a proverbial brick wall, and just hangs there doing nothing, just coasting along.
It is lucky I am a driver that always makes sure they have way more room than is really needed to complete a pass.
Because otherwise this retarded truck would be a great reason for a head on collision while passing.

Hey ford, do us a favour and shove your speed limiters where the sun don't shine.

Curious, is ford now doing this to every vehicle they make?

Next item I am doing is finding how the limiter works, and over riding it.
If I want to only have a top speed of snail, I would have bought a snail....thanks for nothing ford.

Honestly I am just sorry I bought a new truck....I have liked all my ford trucks, right up until my new 09 F350....this thing would best be used for bomb testing by the army.

I am seriously considering selling it, and buying a new GMC 3500.

Never thought I would say that, but i am close to doing it.
Hey Marty, How's your DAY!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:52 PM
74baja
Elder User
It's so you don't de-laminate your tires. Our tires are rated for... I think 98 mph or so.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,553 Likes on 1,107 Posts
yup, it is designed for the type of tires are trucks come with (E-rated) and safety and to protect the motor.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Mine is accelerating along just fine, then simply drops dead at about 146 kms/hr.
Thats just stupid.
That along with enough issues for a brand new truck to make me want to drive it off a cliff, just has me frustrated is all.

They should put it in theiur brochures , front cover, in bold lettering.
Warning this truck can be passed by a prius, or likely Lance armstrong on a bicycle.....Just know that before you buy it.
Oh ya, and the check engine light will come on every 6 minutes, and you will really be happy when it goes into limp mode.
In fact it may not start at all, or ever run right.
Oh and we at ford hope you like the rattles your new truck has, they are free of charge.
The gas gauge you ask....well yes, its a new feature to keep you guessing....it may read full, or 1/4 of a tank, then back to full, in a matter of seconds.
The CD player, well it decides if it wants to play music or not...but o nthe plus side, the radio works flawlessly.
And you hopefully like the brake squeel we built into your new ford truck....sorry it never worked for the first 10 minutes you owned the truck, but we got the problem solved now, and the brakes squeel all the time now for you.

Seriously, I am calling ford to see if they will take it back under the lemon law.

I have had either 26 or 28 fords in my life, cannot remember which....And this is the first one I hate.

Rant over....thanks for listening.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tin-man
Hey Marty, How's your DAY!!!

Great David, how are you.

I am actually just going to go out and wash my dirt bike, then go for a nice long ride....be back later.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:45 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, legally you aren't even supposed to go that fast when passing. Its for safety and liability that they have the speed governor.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:46 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marty maybe you should buy a chevy they dont go fast enough to hit the speed limiter , and hardly need any brakes LOL ..What is 146 kms . Lew

Old 05-18-2009, 02:53 PM
smithrngr
Senior User
have you ever tried to stop a 8,000lb truck in a very short distance doing the speed limit let along doing 100+ mph,it just is not going to happin, all i can say smash and crash with the truck it self let alone if you had a 40 foot triple slide 5th wheel camper hooked to you trying to stop.i hope i am never anyone that does not take into conderation there speed vs. how fast there are going and the distance to stop something that big and heavy.the safty feature is there to help you stay alive right along with everyone else that is on the road.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:59 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,408 Posts
146 kilometers per hour = 90.72 miles per hour

Online Conversion - Common Speed and Velocity Conversions

Last edited by 85e150; 05-18-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Avoiding war.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 PM
tin-man
Post Fiend
Have fun Marty!!

Old 05-18-2009, 03:07 PM
maytag03
Junior User
I am curious why anyone would be silly enough to buy a F350 for speed? I had my 08 F350DRW up to 100MPH one time and when a cross wind of about 20MPH shoved me across 3 lanes of traffic that was the last time this full size truck will ever see more then 80MPH! I may be old but I would like to get even older. BTW please buy the GM product,they can use the bussiness badly.I am guessing by your figures of speech such as the truck being retarded that you would fall into the young and stupid age group..sigh.

Last edited by maytag03; 05-18-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Just had to finish my thoughts
Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Chevys, Dodges and Toyotas are also governed. Dodge is the highest governed speed as far as I know, but thats only around 98-100 or so. There are a number of reasons for the speed governors. The biggest one off all being the heavier the load your tires are rated for, the thicker the rubber on them is, and the more centrifugal force trying to rip them apart, and therefore the lower the rated speed. Then there is the fact the longer the truck, the longer the driveshaft and the harder it is to balance it for a given speed.

If you are going fast enough on the highway where 90 MPH isn't enough to pass someone, then you shouldn't have a reason to pass them in the first place.

Bumping the speed limiter will also throw a CEL, and possibly throw the trunk into limp as well and brake squeal is nothing. Many brakes squeal for no apparent reason.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:22 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lead Head
If you are going fast enough on the highway where 90 MPH isn't enough to pass someone, then you shouldn't have a reason to pass them in the first place.

Well said. There is no reason to be trying to pass someone at that speed. If you want to go 120mph to pass someone go buy a sports car not an 8000lb truck.

Quick Reply: Ford why do you govern your stupid trucks