1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford why do you govern your stupid trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pull into the dealership pour gas on it and light it up..... Heard they are willing to make good deals for this type of customers.....

Old 05-19-2009, 02:32 PM
first_f250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 250 stops at 95mph yeah when im cruisin goin to camp its annoying but its a good thing to have

Old 05-19-2009, 02:50 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by phillips91
i wouldnt go that far..... just from 69 alone the torino talladega, dodge charger daytona, plymouth superbird and mercury cyclone spoiler were all capable of pushing 180mph in street trim. then you had the boss 429, boss 302, z28/trans am, yenko camaro, gt 350/500, and the list goes on and on. comparing it to an 82 trans am is a lot different than comparing it to a 69 trans am..... there were some bad **** cars back in the 60's man. with both acceleration and handling. the 70's and 80's were crap(mustang II is all i need to say there), and the 90's werent much better. yeah, a 69 mustang 6 cyl doesnt handle worth a crap, but compare the lateral g's of a real muscle car from that era to the gt 500 of today and its very close.
'60s muscle cars can't hold a candle to late model stuff.

--The Firebird Trans AM in the early '70s was featured in Car & Driver with a .81 g cornering ability. Enough to keep the oil away from the pickup and fry the motor. But .81 was astounding.

--Last year--maybe, I still have the magazine, C&D got ahold of a '68 428 Mustang in near OEM condition, except for a set of BFG radials, and an equally OEM '68 427 Corvette with OEM Goodyear Bluestreaks or a good repro of them, IIRC. Cornering G: about .68 or .69, roughly what a Ford Explorer on AT tires will pull.

MODIFIED '60s Pony cars and NASCAR prepped cars--yea, but showroom jobs, no cornering, & weak braking. As for 180 mph, do the math using an approx 28 inch tire. 6500 RPM with a 3:1 axle. How many had 3:1 axles? With 3.90s you need about 8500 rpms. Not many '60s cars were geared for 180 and far, far fewer had enough HP to make 180, at least without a 5 mile run at it.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:04 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod

--The Firebird Trans AM in the early '70s was featured in Car & Driver with a .81 g cornering ability. Enough to keep the oil away from the pickup and fry the motor. But .81 was astounding.

--Last year--maybe, I still have the magazine, C&D got ahold of a '68 428 Mustang in near OEM condition, except for a set of BFG radials, and an equally OEM '68 427 Corvette with OEM Goodyear Bluestreaks or a good repro of them, IIRC. Cornering G: about .68 or .69, roughly what a Ford Explorer on AT tires will pull.

MODIFIED '60s Pony cars and NASCAR prepped cars--yea, but showroom jobs, no cornering, & weak braking. As for 180 mph, do the math using an approx 28 inch tire. 6500 RPM with a 3:1 axle. How many had 3:1 axles? With 3.90s you need about 8500 rpms. Not many '60s cars were geared for 180 and far, far fewer had enough HP to make 180, at least without a 5 mile run at it.
.. Yep had a 71 TA 455 HO nice car . 3.42 rear . turbo 400 m 40 ...135 mph top end at 5800 rpm but very stable at that speed . Lew

Old 05-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by enduro4231
Whew! You weren't joking around! Is it a gas or diesel truck?
6.8 liter gas.

Some of the issues were caused by the dealer.

Those braineacks hacked the wiring harness apart....but supposedly have since replaced the entire thing, with a new wiring harness.
It has acumulated a majority of its mileage driving back and forth to the dealer for repairs.

Heck the box was not even installed straight when I went to pick it up.
Before I drove off the lot, they had to loosen all the bed bolts, and align the box with the cab....that should have been the first clue i was in for a lemon.
As I tried to leave the lot with it, I could hear the rerar diff banging as I turned a sharp corner.....so they added more diff lube for the limited slip.

And on its 2 hour drive home from the dealer i got it at, we ( the wife and kids and I ) identified 3 different interior rattles, had the CD player die, the check engine light come on, and the headlights die.....and wouldn't you guess it, it was dark out.
Had to have it towed, and it had 150 kms on it.
The tow truck driver took the wife and kids with him, but could not take us all in his truck, so I hitch hiked back to town.
So lets just say me and this truck were off to a bad start.
But the day it left me stranded in revelstoke, that was the day i really lost it.
The large dents in the drivers door of a basically new truck was from that day....Lets just say i was pushed to far, and took out my frustrations when i got out of the now dead truck.
Ford called back, and sound like they are willing to talk about doing something.
I am a reasonable guy, and did not demand a total refund, I said I would be willing to give their trucks another chance.
Just give me a new truck, just like this one, and lets call it a day.

They said they will have an answer for me in the next few days on what they will do.
I really hope to not have to hire a lawyer and sue, but will if forced to.
I will even pay for the damage to the door ou of my own pocket.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:30 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod

well, for starters, the torino talledega and mercury cyclone came with 3.25 gears, not 3.90. both of which could easily hit 180 without a 5 mile run. if you want to compare handling of yesterdays cars to todays, dont use a 60's car made for drag racing, use one thats made for handling. the 68.5 428 mustang was a drag race special car that was meant to do nothing more than go in a straight line and had no suspension upgrades what so ever. it wasnt built for handling. check the boss 302 if you want to see how a 60's car thats made to handle can do. cars today, like the gt-500, are much better all around cars than the muscle cars from the 60's, but the cars back then were built with a purpose. the boss 302 was meant for trans am racing, so it wasnt that good at drag racing. the 68.5 428 mustang was meant for drag racing, so it didnt handle worth a crap. the talladega was meant for top speed in nascar, so it came with 3.25 gears instead of 4.30, etc.

i dont know if you know much about 60's cars, but back then drag racing, nascar, etc had to be showroom cars. which means they had to come from the factory de-tuned enough so that the average joe could drive them on the street, but easily tuned to compete in nascar and professional drag racing. motor trend or car and driver, i cant remember which, did some tests on the boss 429 a few years back and in stock form it ran a 14.0 in the 1/4 mile. that will barely run with a stock 5.0. they also mentioned that the stock tires were 8" and it spun the them all the way through 3rd gear. they did nothing but bump the timing and put a set of drag radials on it and it ran an 11.2. so did it run an 11.2 off the showroom floor? no. but all it took to get it there was a decent set of tires and bumping the timing.

ive owned mustangs/muscle cars from every generation from the 60's up through the 90's and id take the 60's models any day of the week. but like i said, you had to get one for its intended purpose.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by first_f250
my 250 stops at 95mph yeah when im cruisin goin to camp its annoying but its a good thing to have

I guess my need to rant when I started this thread, was taken a little differently than I meant it.

And its my fault actually.
Its not so much that ford feels some reason to limit the trucks speed, but that they limit it so much.
Why make a truck with a big motor, and then shut it down at 90 mph.

But mostly the thing that pisses me off is that even the governed speed is wrong on this pile of ****.
Ford themselves told me it should do about 155 kms/hr, not the mere 146 mine does.
They cannot tell me why mine is set lower though.
Have you ever heard the saying, " The straw that broke the camels back
" ?

This is just one of those many straws, and maybe a small petty one at that.
But it just feels like the final straw.

So call me petty, maybe i deserve it.....But it just pissed me off even more than I already was, when i found out my new piece of junk would only do 146 kms to.

This thing is so poorly put together, the cab would likely fall off if it got up to 150.

Rant over.

I get mad just talking about my truck now, so hope you all will understand if I do not come back to this thread any more.
I rarely discuss it, because its a sore point with me.

Please feel free to discuss it all you want.
Heck call me names if it makes you feel better, I am a big boy and can handle it.
I just needed to vent when I started this thread.....Well i vented, and now feel a little better.

Thanks

Old 05-19-2009, 03:52 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
At least come back and tell us the outcome with Ford .

Old 05-19-2009, 04:01 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Saleenguy
the big engine and all that power is to keep heavy loads moving without putting the engine under a lot of stress. to keep people from doing 25-35mph up steep hills when they are pulling their campers. rangers are for gas mileage and grocery getters, the f150 is for light towing, the SD is for heavy towing and the lightning is for going fast and handling good.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:15 PM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Saleenguy
I guess my need to rant when I started this thread, was taken a little differently than I meant it.

And its my fault actually.
Its not so much that ford feels some reason to limit the trucks speed, but that they limit it so much.

But mostly the thing that pisses me off is that even the governed speed is wrong on this pile of ****.
Ford themselves told me it should do about 155 kms/hr, not the mere 146 mine does.
They cannot tell me why mine is set lower though.
Have you ever heard the saying, " The straw that broke the camels back
" ?

This is just one of those many straws, and maybe a small petty one at that.
But it just feels like the final straw.

So call me petty, maybe i deserve it.....But it just pissed me off even more than I already was, when i found out my new piece of junk would only do 146 kms to.

This thing is so poorly put together, the cab would likely fall off if it got up to 150.

Rant over.

I get mad just talking about my truck now, so hope you all will understand if I do not come back to this thread any more.
I rarely discuss it, because its a sore point with me.

Please feel free to discuss it all you want.
Heck call me names if it makes you feel better, I am a big boy and can handle it.
I just needed to vent when I started this thread.....Well i vented, and now feel a little better.

Thanks
MAN please come back tell us how this gos you are talking this better than I would cant say how I would react but when I read your facts it makes me mad at ford

Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GOOD LUCK in your brand new issue free SD (the power of positive thinking) and please post the outcome.
-Ed

Old 05-19-2009, 04:45 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Originally Posted by phillips91
well, for starters, the torino talledega and mercury cyclone came with 3.25 gears, not 3.90. both of which could easily hit 180 without a 5 mile run. if you want to compare handling of yesterdays cars to todays, dont use a 60's car made for drag racing, use one thats made for handling. the 68.5 428 mustang was a drag race special car that was meant to do nothing more than go in a straight line and had no suspension upgrades what so ever. it wasnt built for handling. check the boss 302 if you want to see how a 60's car thats made to handle can do. cars today, like the gt-500, are much better all around cars than the muscle cars from the 60's, but the cars back then were built with a purpose. the boss 302 was meant for trans am racing, so it wasnt that good at drag racing. the 68.5 428 mustang was meant for drag racing, so it didnt handle worth a crap. the talladega was meant for top speed in nascar, so it came with 3.25 gears instead of 4.30, etc.

i dont know if you know much about 60's cars, but back then drag racing, nascar, etc had to be showroom cars. which means they had to come from the factory de-tuned enough so that the average joe could drive them on the street, but easily tuned to compete in nascar and professional drag racing. motor trend or car and driver, i cant remember which, did some tests on the boss 429 a few years back and in stock form it ran a 14.0 in the 1/4 mile. that will barely run with a stock 5.0. they also mentioned that the stock tires were 8" and it spun the them all the way through 3rd gear. they did nothing but bump the timing and put a set of drag radials on it and it ran an 11.2. so did it run an 11.2 off the showroom floor? no. but all it took to get it there was a decent set of tires and bumping the timing.

ive owned mustangs/muscle cars from every generation from the 60's up through the 90's and id take the 60's models any day of the week. but like i said, you had to get one for its intended purpose.
....Yes your right the 60s & 70s cars were alot of fun . I had a bunch of them & love em all.. Mopars . chevys . fords ..There wasn't to many boss 429s runing around but a few. More 428 cjs . But they all ran good mostley 14 sec cars stock but with some work ran alot better . I don't think a stock boss 429 will shave off 3 sec in the 1/4 mile with tires & timing . The tires to day are much better but back then we had what we had . So everything was pretty much the same traction wise. I ran a big block nova 396 that would hook with L 60 15s.. This is back in 73 though . Lew

Old 05-19-2009, 05:36 PM
jaybread
Senior User
All European cars are limited to 155mph per agreement with the EU. (this is for cars that can reach those speeds)

Tire speed ratings drive the limiters, besides political issues.

For example, the Japanese motorcycle companies all agreed to govern their high performance bikes to less than 200mph. This was in response to the media going crazy over "killer" sportbikes that could go over 200mph!! Now, they are limited to around 189, kill just as many people, but since they don't go over 200 the media has lost most of it's interest.

The only American car from a major company I know of with no limiter is the Corvette, but maybe the Viper also.

I agree with many other posts, if you are hitting the limiter in a Super Duty then you should re-think your driving habits. Not a good plan for survival.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:37 PM
jaybread
Senior User
I should have said European cars sold in Europe. US export cars are different.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, the US has no official governor mandate. Japan's is pretty harsh, around 100-110 MPH or so - for every car. I believe Mustang Shelbies (perhaps even standard GTs?), Vettes , Vipers and at least the SRT8 Challengers/Chargers are unlimited(not sure for standard R/T version )

Quick Reply: Ford why do you govern your stupid trucks