Sponsored by:

Mingling question on rear doors.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:04 PM
XLnAK
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mingling question on rear doors.

Thought I'd Ask those with the subject rear doors this question.
I have a 04 crew that I am thinking of adding window visors to. The visors I'm looking at don't list crew cab rear fitting prt #rs. But I was wondering, are the rear passenger doors of a Excursion so different. They do list for a Excursion of the same vintage as my rig.
Looking through a couple of photo galleries it does seem the glass run tilts different maybe?

There are many makers of visors that do have fitments for my rig, but the units I'm looking at are one of the few that make large (wide/deep) ones. Aerovisors from AVS. I saw a set on a lifted standard cab, an they peaked my interest. Anyone have em and like em or dislike them?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:14 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Aerovisors were the bigger vent visors, and I don't recall seeing a matching rear set. They were typically fronts only. I've never been a fan of tape one and AVS in general. I believe EGR and weather tech have a similar offering, you might try looking at those as well.

I recall the Excursion doors as being some what different. I want to say that Weather tech used a bracket on the rear similar to what the Chevys got and the Superduty just had long ears and a little tape. I think EGR had the rears without brackets on both, but I believe they used a different part number.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 PM
XLnAK
Senior User
Thanks ReAX. I will continue my quest. The thought of stuffing a hard plastic into the glass run just doesn't seem right. I'm sure it works, or people wouldn't support them as you do. But the glass run felt is there to glide the glass against, and protect it from scuff. I tend to run a tooth brush along mine to remove grit that accumulates and have seen many older cars that have that small section of the top of the glass marred by time and grit. Not to mention the glass run is also used as a seal to prevent drafts, and we get great side winds at 30 below from time to time.
I don't know, and I'm really not advocating either way, but I was thinking of the larger units for many reasons, and straying away from the channel units for the before mentioned.
Thanks again for the info.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Weather tech doesn't do tape on from my recollection, but EGR does and may have the big style as well.

Your consideration is valid, but I would point out that the window glass also seals on the top and back of the felt. I haven't noticed any wind bypassing the seal with out gails.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 PM
XLnAK
Senior User
Hum. The channel units look much more integrated. I'll give em all a fair shake.
I need a body man to fess up to weather the rear door glass is the same .

Found a part number for the rear aerovisors though, 00-05 Exc. (96504) at truck stuff USA for 59.99 usd.
Cant find a good installed pic of the application.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Just for giggle cross reference, Weather tech
Excursion 4 door set 74138
Rear only 73138
04 Superduty 4 door set 72138
Rear only 71138
So weathertech says two different rears.

EGR Excursion 4 door set 573151
EGR Superduty 4 door (crew cab) set 573511

Both companies think the doors are different enough to warrant different part numbers for the inchannels.

Tape on in EGR
Excursion 643151
Crew Cab Superduty 643511

So I highly suspect the doors are different being that neither the tape on or inchannels cross reference.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The Excursion doors are considerably wider than the SD doors.

Here's a point of reference. The Excursion door is the third door while the SD door is the middle one.

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2009, 10:34 PM
bigunred
Elder User
thats cool but, a bear to park id think.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even with great prep - the stick on visors have been known to say Howdy to the car behind you @ 80 mph

Old 05-08-2009, 11:37 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I've never had a problem with 3m double sided tape. I dread every time I have to remove the stuff, either it will be an absolute pain, or the manufactures side will separate and I am going to get a blister or two getting the tape off.

The biggest part to my preference to the inchannels is that I could put them on faster than most people could get them out of the box. Were as with the tape ons, I have hold them up, mark out the location with tape or post its (depending on which I have handier) and then install them. From an installer's point of the view I could two or three sets of inchannels in the time it took to properly put the tape ons on. The look and fit is also nice.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:18 PM
XLnAK
Senior User
You guys rock. I really thought about PMing you Monsta, I just figured you would have the answer, or know how to find it. LOL. What a photo! very explicit.
ReAX, thank you very much for the swift research. That would lead one to believe the difference exists.
Jdad, I have heard the same about channel mount units. I'd hate to have one freeze to the glass and pull the seal. I' haven't heard of it happening, but.
I'm sure they all have plus sides to them. Gotta like the way the channel units look, as far as smooth lines and no visible mount location. But if I use the 3M to seal area, I won't be tempted to detail the rubber anymore, and the upper seal should stay well protected from the elements. Oh I don't know.
I would imagine the biggest point to be made would be, the with or without. With, most surely wins. Shocking it was, the first stop I made that sent water rushing into my just detailed interior. The pockets in the door panel must be there to keep the floor dry.
All kidding aside though, I do really need em.
Thanks to all.