1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

351W to 460 swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 86bigred
build the 351,make your truck the way you want it.and maybe in the future get the 460.just work with what you got right now.it will be cheaper.
I disagree ... If you really want the 460 do it, Because even if you did a potent 351 you'll always be unhappy! Because you wanted a 460!

Settling for less leads to unhappiness.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-10-2009, 08:27 PM
hittman1422
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from what i've heard if you build the 351 you will not be unhappy, but suprised about how badass it is. i just bought one for my 85 for 80 bucks... that works out to about 23 cents a cubic inch:P and parts are dirt cheap unlike 460 stuff. for the same ammout of money you could do WAAAAY more to a 351 than a 460, also for a 460 you'd have to change not only motor mounts but radiator also... that was why i chose the 351, along with the 460's nonexistant mileage....

Old 05-12-2009, 07:50 PM
TheMechanicalAnimal
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I took Festus Hagens' advise...i bought the 460. I just have to go pick it up on saturday. It comes with all pulleys and accessories, even the frame mounts for $400 to have it all! This Friday is my last day of high school so i figured i'd buy myself a little graduation present! I can't wait to get ahold of it, tear it apart, put it back together and stuff it in my truck! I'm going to make that truck one rompin' stompin' SOB

Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
O-goody, now every time you pull up to the gas pump you're going to regret listening to me!

Does it run ok???

If it does, This is what I suggest.

Getting it home, cleaning it up a bit and do the swap, run it around for a few days and work out any bugs... Then pull it and go through it, clean and paint, re-assemble.

Makes for a much better final product.

-Enjoy

Old 05-12-2009, 11:33 PM
TheMechanicalAnimal
Junior User
Thank you very much for the advice! What I plan on doing with the motor is taking off the accessories, oil pan, valve covers, air intake, and carburetor then sending it to a machine shop in Miami. My dad owns an auto repair shop and they do amazing work for us all the time when we dont have the time to do motors ourselves. They're going to rebuild the whole thing for me with performance parts including the cam. Once i get it back im going to put an edelbrock air intake and carburetor on it, hedman headers, and chrome valve covers. I already have the true duals i custom bent at my dads shop on the pipe machine already on the truck. I'll take pictures of the whole process and post them for everyone to see! It should be all done by the end of summer, I kind of have to finish it before then because i start collage around then so i better get my a$$ in gear. So after working 9 hours a day at my dads shop, im gonna go home and work on my truck from 6 till 12. I'm gonna be dead by the time I start collage!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
I advise leaving the pan & rocker covers on for protection.

-Enjoy

Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
86bigred
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
I advise leaving the pan & rocker covers on for protection.

-Enjoy

i second that.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 AM
TheMechanicalAnimal
Junior User
okay, thanks guys! what is a good cam to put in a 460? is there any top name brand i should put in it? im just going to tow a bull dozer trailer, drive around town, and go off-road a little. i want to pep it up with out murdering my gas mileage to bad so i want a mild cam.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:21 PM
rowdyredneck
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I called the machine shop guys in Miami that do all the rebuild work for us and send it back and the head boss down there said a 460 has weak casting and they end up getting cracked blocks.
Never heard of that one. I've built several Lima big blocks over the years and have a bunch of cores stashed away in the shed but I've never seen or heard of one cracking a block. I have heard of people spinning cam bearings, but otherwise they are a hell of a tough engine.

I did the swap about ten years ago on my truck, switching from a 351W/C6 automatic to a 466 (460 bored .030") with a four speed manual which I later converted to a 5 speed overdrive. I built the engine myself, never run on a dyno but I'm estimating around 400 horsepower. It's fun to drive but is one very thirsty hunk of iron. Back when I built it gas was still $.99 a gallon so I was able to drive it daily....not so today. When gas hits $4 again you might not be so thrilled with that big beast. Even with an overdrive and 3.55 gears mine gets around 11 mpg on a good day. The swap is pretty straight forward if you have a donor truck to steal parts from. The frame mounts will have to be changed since the 460 uses two studs on each mount and there will be oil filter clearance issues (which I solved with a fire wrench ). You'll also want to consider a larger radiator.

One thing I should mention: when you are building for performance make sure you use a pre '72 timing set. '73 and later engines had the crank gear retarded for emissions which hurts performance; the older engines ran the timing "straight up" which is what you want with a performance cam.

Here's a good story from Car Craft magazine on a 460 build:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ild/index.html

Old 05-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
To start with, I have never built a Ford 460 ... And never will!
I have built many HP motors. (Only two SBF, No BBF)

Originally Posted by rowdyredneck
"straight up" which is what you want with a performance cam.
That statement is not necessarily true, A HP cam should be degreed in according to the Cam MFG's specs, And then fine tuned from there!

Personally, I would never put a HP motor together without an adjustable timing setup so I (as the tuner) can fine tune the cam.

-Enjoy

Old 05-15-2009, 05:56 AM
rowdyredneck
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Many off the shelf performance cams, especially the milder grinds have a few degrees of advance already built in so that's why I recommended using the pre-72 timing set which sets the crank gear at 0 degrees, rather than the newer retarded set which will hurt performance with a mild cam. True, if I were building a high revving serious performance engine I would also use an adjustable timing set and degree the cam in...but for a mild street engine that seems like overkill. Cam grinders have become much more accurate over the years, the last several cams I checked were right on the money.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Originally Posted by rowdyredneck
Many off the shelf performance cams, especially the milder grinds have a few degrees of advance already built in so that's why I recommended using the pre-72 timing set which sets the crank gear at 0 degrees, rather than the newer retarded set which will hurt performance with a mild cam. True, if I were building a high revving serious performance engine I would also use an adjustable timing set and degree the cam in...but for a mild street engine that seems like overkill. Cam grinders have become much more accurate over the years, the last several cams I checked were right on the money.
Maybe right on spec, Not tune!

I don't buy into "Thats Close Enough" attitude, If it ain't right, it ain't right!
But thats why I get what I get for building motors!

-Enjoy

Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 PM
TheMechanicalAnimal
Junior User
great news

So I went and got my 460...long story short, I tore it all down, sent it in to my machine shop, got it bored .40 over, found out my heads are cracked, got 1973 heads instead of the 1986 ones, im in the process of cleaning and assembling, i got the crank and pistons in, im now putting in my cam and timing set. i spent $1500 in parts and machine work so far and $400 on the engine its self from the junk yard, and $100 on 1973 heads. here some of the progress pics just to show you guys! And all of you that convinced me to get a big block 460.....you all freakin rock. THANK YOU!

Heres when i first stripped it down...

The Pistons...

Puttin on the rings =)

Torquing down the caps

Heres after the machine shop with the pistons in it!

So its gettin there! I work 9 hours a day at my dads auto repair shop, 55 hours a week and after a long day at work I go put a little bit of my motor together each day on top of that! I'll post new pics later on to show you how the progress is! Thank you very much everyone for all your help! and the pics are kinda big....i didnt know how to make them smaller, im more of a engine guy, not a computer person lol

Old 10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
jarod17
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but how is your truck going?

Also to address a few things on the 460. Mine had 316,000 on it before needing rebuilt. And that was only due to a blown head gasket. To those who say that they get the same mileage no matter what they do to it, If i stay off the gas I can push about 16.75 MPG and if I hook up to my fifth wheel RV I average about 9-10 MPG.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:57 PM
TheMechanicalAnimal
Junior User
sorry it took so long to reply but the rebuild is going great! i had creaked heads and had to find new ones, i picked some up for $100. i got lucky. i sent them to the machine shop and got them all set for free cuz my dad does business with them since he owns an auto repair shop and all. I'm going to get a ZF5 tranny and stuff it in there with the 460. im going to be gettin a dana 60 for the front and take out the twin ibeam. im also putting 4.56 gears all around. im takin the whole body and bed right off and sandblasting it all and painting it with POR15. its wicked rust paint to stop it and all. get that stuff on ur skin and its there for a month. ive got a lot of work ahead of me but i love it. the only thing is it costs a ton of money to build that truck lol i pour a lot of my check into that beast each week, more than half of it anyways. Thanks for askin how im doin with my motor and truck yall. ill post pics when i get more done.

Quick Reply: 351W to 460 swap