Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New injector - how long to settle in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 PM
89BlackBeauty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New injector - how long to settle in?

I recently had my #6 and #8 injectors replaced (re-man from Ford) from my friendly neighborhood traveling diesel mechanic. These were found to be bad during a no-start issue. He also replaced the injector harnesses and valve gasket. So - after lots more troubleshooting and work (mostly thanks to FTE) the truck starts well and runs ok. WIth my new AE my #8 fails the CCT, and has an average of 5% rotational velocity. THe #6 is 0. Does this mean that the injector is bad, or does it need to settle in. I have traveled about 400 miles. No fuel mods. Buzz test sounds fine.

Thanks,

Old 04-05-2009, 08:39 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Do you have the updated grey cps? If so there have been a few people having trouble with cct on #3 & 8. I'm not to sure about #6.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 PM
89BlackBeauty
Senior User
Oh, and I have a "brand new" gray CPS, that I swapped out with another "newer" gray CPS because I thought it may be bad. It was my ICP.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:42 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Did he put in a long lead (AE) injector, or a regular AD injector in the #8 hole?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:58 PM
powerstrokeforever
New User
Arrow

As long as it's running good, Don't worry about the rotational velocity. To keep those injectors like new go to POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners Watch those videos , they will last a long time. Also, I would use a good additive at every fuel stop. I use Delphi, It removes water 10 times better than Power Service. or Diesel Kleen

Old 04-05-2009, 09:12 PM
89BlackBeauty
Senior User
I runs well except, yesterday I put the petal to the metal getting onto the freeway, and the SES light came on. That has happened in the past, but typically only when pulling a trailer going up a hill.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:09 PM
89BlackBeauty
Senior User
I watched the videos for injector tune-up. About 300 miles ago I changed to synthetic oil, and removed the quart of old (well changed about 1000 miles ago) oil from the HPOP. I did not do it 3x. Should I go in and do a change again (on the HPOP side)? I use an additive to remove water, not sure the brand, I will check. It may be Diesel Kleen.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 89BlackBeauty
I runs well except, yesterday I put the petal to the metal getting onto the freeway, and the SES light came on. That has happened in the past, but typically only when pulling a trailer going up a hill.
Overboost? Do you have gauges?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Bigfwt04
Elder User
Originally Posted by powerstrokeforever
As long as it's running good, Don't worry about the rotational velocity. To keep those injectors like new go to POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners Watch those videos , they will last a long time. Also, I would use a good additive at every fuel stop. I use Delphi, It removes water 10 times better than Power Service. or Diesel Kleen
You might not go real heavy on that guy or website. Several of the guys on here have pretty strong feeling about some of the mistakes and mis information from that guy. Just my .02

Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 AM
89BlackBeauty
Senior User
I thought about overboost as well. I do not have gauges (I want them, but....). I do have an AE, can I measure boost with AE? I also would not think I would get overboost with a fully stock truck.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 AM
89BlackBeauty
Senior User
Also, could Exhaust Back pressure play a role? I have another post asking for that info:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7346994.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh, and I have a "brand new" gray CPS, that I swapped out with another "newer" gray CPS because I thought it may be bad.
This is why you are getting a high value on the rotational velocity and failing the CCT on #8. You've replaced the injector and the harness. So unless you got a defective reman, it's the grey CPS causing this. Swap to a black one and your truck will pass the CCT.

As long as it's running good, Don't worry about the rotational velocity. To keep those injectors like new go to POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners Watch those videos , they will last a long time.
If you want your truck to last a long time, then stay away from Powerstrokehelp.com. That guy in the videos is a joke.

Should I go in and do a change again (on the HPOP side)?
Changing HPOP oil does nothing for you. So don't bother with it right now.

As for the SES light coming on during a WOT run, pull the code and post it up. AE should be able to pick it up. Even if the light is off now, the PCM still stored the code (unless you unplug the batteries).

Old 04-06-2009, 03:04 PM
powerstrokeforever
New User
Lightbulb

I'm not calling anyone a lier. But, I was a heavy diesel mechanic for 5 years. The stuff Bill hewitt is talking about in a lot of those vids on Powerstrokehelp is good information. I have two diesel shops around me that like the idea, one of them has been building injectors and pumps for fifteen years. The choice is yours, I continue to listen to the experts! If oil flowed from the oil pan so well, Why did Navistar put an oil Resevoir on the HPOP? I know on my 7.3 it takes me three changes to get clean oil out of the HPOP Res. If it flows so well, why then is it not clean after a regular oil change?

Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 PM
89BlackBeauty
Senior User
I pulled the code at had a P1211 inj control pressure higher/lower than desired (engine running) that was thrown when I did the hard accelerating. I recently replaced my ICP sensor, and the wiring harness is good. Does that mean my IPR is going? Also, I checked the #8 again today and it was 4.5 to 4.8 a little better than last time.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:45 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstrokeforever
I'm not calling anyone a lier. But, I was a heavy diesel mechanic for 5 years. The stuff Bill hewitt is talking about in a lot of those vids on Powerstrokehelp is good information. I have two diesel shops around me that like the idea, one of them has been building injectors and pumps for fifteen years. The choice is yours, I continue to listen to the experts! If oil flowed from the oil pan so well, Why did Navistar put an oil Resevoir on the HPOP? I know on my 7.3 it takes me three changes to get clean oil out of the HPOP Res. If it flows so well, why then is it not clean after a regular oil change?
Not to be argumentative, but are you saying the oil should be clean after sucking it out one time, or it should be clean in the reservoir after you regularly change the oil and let it run a bit? Not everything the powerstroke help guy says is wrong, just some of it.