Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pulling the motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pulling the motor

Alright guys, I'm going to be pulling my motor here in a few weeks to put in a few goodies here and there. I was going to let everyone know that I plan on taking lots of pictures and posting up for a tech article.

For anyone thinking of pulling there motor, or has plans to, or to anyone who has just always wondered-If anyone wants wants specific details or pics of any part, or techniques of the process, just post up here or pm me and i'd be happy to see what I can do for you.

For the tech article I was thinking of having the written tech section for each step above each picture, and in the picture below for each step I was going to edit it in Paint and circle, draw lines, or whatever to highlight the important part, and to better illustrate the step instead of having just a picture and having to "find waldo" on whats going on.

What are your alls thoughts on that?

Also, if anyone has any questions relating to parts getting swapped, how I plan on doing a certain step, tools used, or any other questions about anything that is related to this, by all means ask and I will do my best to answer any and all questions.

Oh by the way, i'm only doing all of this in a day and a half, 2 1/2 if need be.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright Cory, As of right now I'll be able to get down there. April 3rd-5th, right?

Old 03-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hucka1a
Alright Cory, As of right now I'll be able to get down there. April 3rd-5th, right?
Yessir, I will be getting off work about 12 on the 3rd, I will have everything set up earlier that week and all laid out, when I get there i'll cool the motor down and begin tearin down about an hr after I get there. I'm planing on having it all back together by sat night and running, but I may take a little more time on some things to clean things up alot more, so it maybe sunday by the time its running. Looking forward to you being there Huck.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you need any help on anything or you know what youre doing? Most people joke about saying " i can do that with my eyes closed" but i honestly think i can pull a motor out with my eyes literally closed.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 PM
crum71
1/8 mile Oval Track

Cory, I can't promise,but if I don't have to work that Saturday, I can come and hang out/help/or whatever...

Old 03-17-2009, 10:23 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got two garages lined up I'll find out more tomorrow so hopefully we'll be good to go one my cousins.

Kris why don't you just swing on down here when Kenny goes to get his new motor just let him drop you off and you stay for the weekend man?

Old 03-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
Do you need any help on anything or you know what youre doing? Most people joke about saying " i can do that with my eyes closed" but i honestly think i can pull a motor out with my eyes literally closed.
I've got a few people going to help with it, I am by no means at all going to say I can do it with my eyes closed, nor have I pulled a motor in a PSD either. But by no means am I mechanically incompetent, nor at the same time do I know it all. I did go to college to become a diesel mechanic and worked here at the zinc mines as a diesel mech, and had teardowns much larger than this, so by my standards this is not a massive project or anything compared to a weekend wrencher.

However I retract my previous statement, "I CAN do it with my eyes closed"---shortly after hearing me make that statement you will hear me ask JD to pass the blind fold.......and a torch

Originally Posted by crum71
Cory, I can't promise,but if I don't have to work that Saturday, I can come and hang out/help/or whatever...
It would be nice to see you again scott, wouldnt hurt to have another pair of eyes to double check or hands to pass a wrench

Old 03-17-2009, 10:36 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Get enough people Cory and we won't even need an engine lift .

Old 03-17-2009, 11:05 PM
robs01f250
Elder User
good luck with the project. I wish i could have the chance to do this

Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Come on over, BG is just a few hrs away .

Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 PM
robs01f250
Elder User
well i would but my Dad is flying him and I to Las Vegas for my 21st birthday which is on the second. Thanks for the offer, i will have to take yall up on it some other time

Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Very nice man I wish my dad would do that for me LOL. We'll all be heading that way May 8th.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Cory you should see your ARP head studs Friday and the Forged rods shortly there after

Old 03-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Man, if that wasn't 3 plus hours away, I might have to run there and tell them why it is not going to go that quickly in person. That is because chit happens. It just does, that is the way it is and I am not wishing anyone bad luck. Seems we are skipping some machine work or at least some balancing.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Man, if that wasn't 3 plus hours away, I might have to run there and tell them why it is not going to go that quickly in person. That is because chit happens. It just does, that is the way it is and I am not wishing anyone bad luck. Seems we are skipping some machine work or at least some balancing.
I know first hand that stuff happens man I know something, or several thing may happen when we do this, thats why i'm leaving work at 12 on friday to get a little more of a head start, and it wouldnt be a big deal to take off work monday if needed. I was stating best case planned scenario.
Exactly what machine work are you referring to? and by balancing I assume you are talking about balancing the crank? I wont be balancing the crank because I will not be turning more than 3400 rpms, even now when I get on it, it usually on gets to about 3200.

Quick Reply: Pulling the motor