General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Biggest snake that I have ever seen.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biggest snake that I have ever seen.

I hate snakes and this video scarred the ***** out of me.

forwardOn: Biggest Snake I've Ever Seen!

Old 03-15-2009, 01:13 AM
F354JOE
Elder User
Now that I have had a heart attack! Geez.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Gottaford
Elder User
I LOVE snakes. I've never seen anything that can manage so well without legs, arms and ears. I've owned over 30 snakes in my lifetime (Boas, Pythons, Kings, Corns, Bulls, Glossy's, Hognose, etc) and find them fascinating. It's people that get snakes that grow too big, or who own poisonous snakes, that I don't understand. Then too, if we didn't have snakes we'd be overrun by rats and mice. These vermin bring diseases to us... snakes don't.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:11 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can't say I love them, but I sure do respect their place in the ecosystem.
Sure, they startle the bejeebers out of me when I come across one unexpectedly, but unlike some folks I know, I don't try to immediately hack them to pieces.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:30 AM
newgeek
Junior User
i cant wait till the kids get up ...... ahhahah

Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry.
That's one link I won't 'click'.

Don't like snakes.
Never have. Never will.
If everyone of them were tossed into fire, that would be just fine with me.
(That's where they belong. With the devil. They're his pets.)

Old 03-15-2009, 09:11 AM
exidenick
Mountain Pass
I gotta get the wife to see that one. I may not get dinner tonite but it wil be worth it!!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 AM
hoosierbaby64
Postmaster
This is the scariest video ever. Makes me spaz.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not a snake fan either, but I understand their place in the world for the most part. I've had to live with them before, and it took some getting used to...

Back when I was in the military, I was in the barracks in a 3 man room, but was living by myself for a bit as there were a few vacancies. One day, this guy comes in saying he's my new roomie, which wasn't any big deal to me. He brought in his bags, and while unpacking, I heard one of his bags hiss. Obviously, I had to ask, and he said "Oh, that's one of my snakes". I responded, "Pardon?" This guy had a pair of Burmese pythons. The "big" one, he had to have me help him move as it took three of us to do so. It was 24 feet long, and the damn thing had to weigh at least 300 lbs. He assured me that it was harmless...riiiiiiiiight. The "baby" was only 9 and a half feet long (baby, my ***) and he brought in the suitcase.

Well, that night, I was sitting in my chair watching TV, and the larger of the two was roaming the room. In doing so, it came up the side of my chair, and went across my lap. I sat there trying to act disinterested as it seemed to only be 'passing through'. That was until his head went behind my chair and began to pass over my lap for a second time, and I was beginning to be physically surrounded by snake. That was enough for me. I calmly lifted the snakes head, and slowly unwrapped him from me, and placed him on the floor, stood up, and told my new roomie that that beast had to go. He protested, of course, but I told him that if that particular snake didn't leave the room that night, it would become a new suitcase for the smaller snake to live in, and his butt would be out in the parking lot with his 'luggage' trying to find a new place to live. He pleaded his case, and I compromised in saying that the smaller snake could stay. So, he found a place for the larger one, and things were fine for a while.

I did make some rules for the smaller snake, though. I told him that if I ever found that snake in my bed, or if it woke me out of a sound sleep, it would be a new pair of boots and a matching belt. He said there would be no problems. Fine. Ok. For a while, things were seemingly calm. I'd have to get used to weird things like being in the shower, and having that thing come in just to check things out (it's an odd feeling to have a python sliding across your feet while you're shampooing your hair). I'd also allow it to cruise over me while I was watching TV, as it was small enough for me to handle if it decided to get too friendly. Oddly, the snake seemed to know the rules, as it never ventured anywhere near my bed (must have heard the "boots" comment).

Well, finally, one day it had to end. I was standing in front of my wall locker arranging things while my roomie had set a guinea pig loose on the floor for the snake to hunt and eat. I hadn't been paying any attention until I turned around, looked down, and found the guinea pig had run to my feet. I looked up to see the snake had already tracked in on it, and before I could think the damn thing struck right at my feet. Well, being the extraordinarily calm and collected person that I am, I jumped directly backwards into my open wall locker and fell to the ground while my neatly arranged uniforms fell all over me. The snake seemed somewhat unimpressed by my quick reaction as it was dining on newly killed fuzzball. I, however, was a tad irritated, and stood up and looked directly at my roommate without saying a word. Apparently, he was somewhat psychic, as his immediate response was a contrite, "He'll be gone first thing in the morning...please don't kill him". He then put his snake in his suitcase, and I went for a walk before I tore someone's head off (snake or him, I wasn't going to be picky).

Anyway, while I can understand that snakes have a place in this world, my affinity for them has dwindled in my life, and I don't see myself getting chummy with them again any time soon.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Sorry.
That's one link I won't 'click'.

Don't like snakes.
Never have. Never will.
If everyone of them were tossed into fire, that would be just fine with me.
(That's where they belong. With the devil. They're his pets.)

I agree with you there..

I have enough snakes around my house that keep me on my toes

Old 03-15-2009, 01:37 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Behemoth,

As far as I'm concerned, IF it had been me. . . that guy and his snakes would have been out-the-door, as soon as they came in.
Dead or alive. His choice.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:48 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Behemoth

I've had to live with them before, and it took some getting used to...

(Snip)

Back when I was in the military

(Snip)

One day, this guy comes in saying he's my new roomie

(Snip)

I heard one of his bags hiss.

(Snip)

he said "Oh, that's one of my snakes"

(Snip)

This guy had a pair of Burmese pythons.

(Snip)

It was 24 feet long, and the damn thing had to weigh at least 300 lbs.
You made this story up, right?

24', 300-lb burmese python? The guy came traipsing into the barracks with his carryon luggage containing 2 burmese pythons? One of which was 24' and 300-lb? Was he staggering into the room before you heard the bag 'hiss'?

a) What military would allow a dangerous, wild animal to roam around a military barracks like that? None here in the U.S. that I ever heard of.

b) Who would allow someone to move into said room in the barracks with such a dangerous, wild animal? No one I've ever heard of. Any SOB walking into MY room with a python, boa constrictor, cobra.....Or even a friggin' leopard would immediately be shown the door, then reported to housing.

C'mon, man.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:57 PM
tlk50
Elder User
Warning! Warning!

Warning of the most serous kind!!!!!!
Do not hold your laptop in front of your wife (closeup) while she is mixing pancake batter, and show her this video!!!! I'm going out and work on my truck or something.

Tim

Old 03-15-2009, 02:20 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I saw the title, I thought you had seen me in the bathroom....

Old 03-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
You made this story up, right?

24', 300-lb burmese python? The guy came traipsing into the barracks with his carryon luggage containing 2 burmese pythons? One of which was 24' and 300-lb? Was he staggering into the room before you heard the bag 'hiss'?

a) What military would allow a dangerous, wild animal to roam around a military barracks like that? None here in the U.S. that I ever heard of.

b) Who would allow someone to move into said room in the barracks with such a dangerous, wild animal? No one I've ever heard of. Any SOB walking into MY room with a python, boa constrictor, cobra.....Or even a friggin' leopard would immediately be shown the door, then reported to housing.

C'mon, man.
You can question it if you will, but like I said...I had to go help him bring the other one in with another guy. Neither he, nor I, could carry that thing by ourselves. That, was part of the reason that it was out of there that night. I would not be left in a room with something that could kill me. Granted, he kept the thing fed, and it was quite docile, but I still wasn't having any of it. I didn't report him because you simply don't do that sort of thing...issues were handled "in house", or within the unit. The "baby" on the other hand, wasn't such a big deal, and he hid it in the suitcase with his little electric 'heat rock' when we weren't home, or during inspections.

As for what military organization would allow this? None of them, as pets were prohibited. For those, however, that have been in the military, the Marine Corps to be specific, will know the barracks rules were broken if not completely shattered on a regular basis. And as for a specific location, it was the MALS-16 barracks, located about 100 yards due south of the CH-53 refueling line on MCAS Tustin. It's closed now, but it was right here in the good old US of A.

This guy used to take the "baby" down to the rec room, and place it on the pool table, and then put a rat on the pool table, and the guys would bet on which pocket the snake would catch the rat in. Personally, I thought that was ridiculous, but I usually didn't like sticking around when those things would eat anyway.

So finally, as to whether or not you believe my story, I couldn't care less. It happened, just like I said it did, and I had to completely reorganize my wall locker after the "baby" scared the living crap out of me and made me jump into it. My take on this after you call me out like you have is to guess that you've never been in the corps to begin with, and wouldn't have the foggiest idea as to what goes on on a marine corps base on a day to day basis. Pets are prohibited, but some guys had fish, some had lizards, some had birds, and these were overlooked by command as they were caged and didn't make a mess. Women aren't allowed in the male barracks, and they were there all the time. Weapons are also prohibited in the barracks (and they're deadly too), and half my unit had their own pesonal weapons stored there. Alcohol is also forbidden...do you honestly think we sat in our rooms contemplating a pure and chaste life, instead of acting like the lunatics that we were? Until you've attended your first "buffer rodeo" on a field day, or spent ANY time in an actual barracks in the corps, I'd suggest you stow it. Your answer of "I'd report him" wouldn't exactly make you many friends. You'd be labelled a snitch, and basically ignored by the rest of the unit for not having the spine to deal with an issue yourself. If you couldn't handle it, you get your sergeant, and he'd deal with it, but you do NOT report it to base housing. That just invites attention, not to mention inspections, by people that aren't even in your unit.

I hope a snake bites your toe.

Quick Reply: Biggest snake that I have ever seen.