1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

problems with early thermostats/water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:19 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems with early thermostats/water pump

I have a new to me 94 powerstroke and plan to put a lot of miles on this one in the future. I've only had it about 3 weeks now but pretty much have all the bubba jobs fixed and the truck running like a champ. It came with a nearly new slide in camper and I just love it.

Anyway, I replaced the thermostat a few days ago. I thought I was being slick and sandblasted the old housing, repainted it and reused it. It looked like new. It started leaking yesterday though. I should have known better than try. I used a stant thermostat, short stem one like is supposed to be in there and now that I've been researching thermostat housings I'm worried about it. It's amazing that in all the years I was a Ford mechanic I never knew there was a difference in thermostats in these things.

I was wondering if my pump takes the short thermostat but these things supposedly aren't safe for the back two cylinders then what is the fix for it? can the pump and tstat from a 97 truck be used instead?

This truck ran cold with the stuck open thermostat that was in it when I got it but with a new one it's not that warm really either unless I'm really loaded. Normally, 190 is about what the upper hose is running at when I've come in off a trip to town. I checked with a laser thermometer.

This year sometime we'll be loading up the camper and a couple horses and heading for Alaska way up North on the coast of the Bering sea all the way from Texas. I want to fix any potential problems before they become a problem. Last time I did that trip we covered at least 2000 miles of dirt roads and I some pretty serious mountains. Not many parts houses on the way either. That trip was in a 4 banger Ford ranger. I'm going in comfort this time.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:30 PM
1dieselman
Elder User
From what I have heard and read the thing to do is install the 203* thermostat. I believe there is a sponsor on here that has them. Whenever I pull a thermostat housing I always clean the gasket area with 120 grit sandpaper laying on a flat surface

Old 03-14-2009, 08:12 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If its an early (94.5 to 95) pump then it should already take the 203 stat from just about any aftermarket supplier. The late 96 and up pumps take the 195 stat or the 203 that is only availible from Diesel Site.com. Nothing wrong at all with running the 203 stat. The change to the colder stat was for emissions not effeciency. It won't hurt the motor one bit.

To answer the question about WP interchange though. yes the later pump can be put on in place of the early pump but the stat must be changed with it as well as the pipe for the heater hose. The early pump uses pipe thread and the late pump uses straight threads with an 0-ring seal.

To seal your leak remove the stat housing. bend the three ears down just slightly and put a smear (thin!) of silicone on there.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:49 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
X2 with TJ
Also if the lower hose inlet is a bolt on type it requires
the long stat.

Bill

Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
The stant thermostat I put in was a 203 but I seriously doubt it will ever reach that unless I'm really pulling. I'll find out today. I'll be pulling a 40 foot gooseneck flatbed full of hay. That will give it a workout.

I'll hook up my scope in the cab with a temp probe taped to the upper hose and see what it get's.

I just went out and looked at both my powerstrokes ( a 94 and a 97) and the WP differences are exactly as you describe. I never knew that before. It won't be hard changing the old one over at all. I need to replace the fan clutch on it real bad so no better time to do it then at that time. Both engines need new thermostat housings. They are siliconed in place but still leak a bit. I gave both of them overnight to dry before filling the systems back up too.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure you can even get the older style water pumps anymore. If you have the newer pump (long thermostat) then the short, Stant 203º, might damage your engine.
From Diesel site advertising the long 203 stat:

The thermostat in the Powerstroke not only controls operating temperatures, but properly directs the flow of coolant through the engine. As the thermostat opens, it proportionally closes the bypass. With the thermostat fully open, the bypass is mostly closed, and vice versa. With the International (Pre-96 Ford) thermostat, this cannot be controlled properly because of the shorter bypass stem. The shorter stem of the IH(pre-96 Ford) thermostat allows the thermostat to be fully open while the bypass is fully open. This means the coolant can travel in any direction available -- whatever direction it chooses. It can either travel through the radiator or simply make the shorter, less restrictive path back through the front of the engine. This will cause uncontrolled overheating in the back cylinders of the block, with absolutely no signs of danger showing on the water temperature gauge in the cab. It is possible that the back of the engine can have no coolant flow at all yet the thermometer in the outlet of the water pump shows all to be normal. Multiple things can happen at this point. Cylinders can seize, freeze plugs can fall out and other normal symptoms of an overheating engine may occur. Worst case is a blown motor and it won't be covered under warranty.

We know the warranty departments and engineers at Ford have verified engine loss due to the short stem thermostats in previous cases where people were sticking into their trucks to increase their operating temperatures. As soon as they see the short shaft thermostat -it's your problem. Our 203o thermostat will not encounter these problems! It's designed to work as the OEM unit did WITH the long stem for bypass protection

Old 03-15-2009, 10:13 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I guess what he is saying is that the short stem tstat can damage the engine if used with the newer water pump but not if it is used in the old water pump that it was designed for.

The way that is written it sounds to me like the short stem is bad in either pump. He should reword that a bit if it's not the case I think. That article is what got me worried.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:23 AM
KevinC.
Elder User
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
I'm not sure you can even get the older style water pumps anymore. If you have the newer pump (long thermostat) then the short, Stant 203º, might damage your engine.
I bought a new, old style water pump from advance auto parts. I never knew there were two styles until I got on this site or I would have told them a96 pump instead.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
Both pumps are still available!

Originally Posted by RRranch
I guess what he is saying is that the short stem tstat can damage the engine if used with the newer water pump but not if it is used in the old water pump that it was designed for.

The way that is written it sounds to me like the short stem is bad in either pump. He should reword that a bit if it's not the case I think. That article is what got me worried.
The problem is caused my the short stem stat in the long stem pump. No issue running the correct short stat in a short stat pump

Originally Posted by KevinC.
I bought a new, old style water pump from advance auto parts. I never knew there were two styles until I got on this site or I would have told them a96 pump instead.
No need to change to the later pump. IMO the early pump is more desirable. I resist one off parts that aren't readily available when traveling. With the early pump you can buy a 203 stat at most any parts stores. With the late pump you can only buy a 203 stat from Diesel Site.com. I don't like that so last time I changed my pump I put on the early pump and ditched the late pump.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:03 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
I don't like that so last time I changed my pump I put on the early pump and ditched the late pump.
X2

Problem is both long and short are stant.
They are both a POS.
Lucky to get a year out of them before they get out of range!

Bill

Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by MADVAN
X2

Problem is both long and short are stant.
They are both a POS.
Lucky to get a year out of them before they get out of range!

Bill
Even at a year for $10 I can still change it every year from the corner parts store and still be ahead from Bob's stat that he says should be replaced every year........

Bill does any one else make a shorty other than stant?

Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Even at a year for $10 I can still change it every year from the corner parts store and still be ahead from Bob's stat that he says should be replaced every year........

Bill does any one else make a shorty other than stant?
Agree!
Behr-Thomson, its a german stat. (IH Oem)
Problem is the cost is the same and more than Bobs.

My next move is to an electronic stat setup.
Just not much to work with as of now.
Bill