Sponsored by: DP Tuner

EBPV parameters???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 PM
dyhrdford
Tuned
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
EBPV parameters???

Can anyone tell me EXACTLY, like copied from a text book, what parameters control the exhaust back pressure valve? I think mine may be acting up, but I really cant diagnose it unless I know EXACTLY how it works. Also, is the EBPV the same as the waste gate? I mean, are they the same unit, only used differently as required? Thanks in advance. Aaron

Old 03-13-2009, 02:13 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
No, the waste gate and the EBPV are not the same thing.

EBPV Operating Conditions: ambient air temp <45°F, engine oil temp <167°F, low engine load, low rpm. [ "Low" is not defined numerically in the manual]

From the Ford shop manual as shown on ALLDataDIY...

"The 7.3L DIT Diesel Engine uses an electronically controlled wastegated GTP38 turbocharger to control the intake manifold pressure. An intake manifold pressure sensor provides readings to the PCM, the PCM compares this reading with the vehicle speed and engine load then sends a signal to the solenoid control valve. The solenoid control valve alters the pressure applied to the wastegate actuator to provide the proper position for the wastegate valve providing the proper boost pressure."

"The wastegate turbocharger system components are:

turbine housing
compressor housing
center housing
compressor manifold
turbocharger pedestal
exhaust back pressure valve and control solenoid
wastegate valve assembly
wastegate actuator
solenoid control valve
intake manifold pressure sensor
PCM (Powertrain Control Module)

"The turbocharger can be identified by the turbocharger I.D. plate.

"The turbine and compressor wheels are mounted on opposite ends of a common shaft. The wheels are enclosed by two housings, and the common shaft is enclosed by the center housing.

"High-velocity engine exhaust gases drive the turbine wheel, which turns the common shaft turning the compressor wheel at speeds up to 130,000 revolutions per minute . Air entering the compressor side of the turbocharger is compressed and delivered to the combustion chambers. This compressed air causes more engine power output, better fuel efficiency and better engine performance at higher altitudes.

"The turbocharger is supplied with pressurized oil from the engine's main oil gallery through a passage in the turbocharger pedestal. Oil then drains back through another passage in the turbocharger pedestal into the oil pan. This eliminates the need for external lubrication supply and return lines.

"Split ring seals are installed at each end of the common shaft between the shaft bearing and wheel assembly to prevent lubricating oil from entering the turbine or compressor area.

"The pressurized oil entering the turbocharger also serves to actuate the exhaust back pressure warm-up system. This system consists of an actuator and a butterfly valve. This system operates only during the cold weather warm-up cycle.

"The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor is a variable capacitor sensor that is supplied a 5-volt reference signal by the PCM and returns a linear analog voltage signal that indicates pressure. The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor measures the pressure in the RH exhaust manifold. This sensor is used in conjunction with the exhaust back-pressure regulator to form a closed loop exhaust back-pressure control system.

"The exhaust back-pressure is controlled by the PCM to provide more heat to the coolant for cab heating when ambient air temperature is below 7°C (45°F) and engine oil temperature is below 75°C (167°F) during low load, low speed operating conditions.

"An open or short in the Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor wiring will result in a low out of range voltage at the PCM, and the PCM will disable Exhaust Back-Pressure control."

Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2009, 02:36 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice post Pete! Tried to rep ya, but po-po's got me in the gray bar motel still.