Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is high mileage oil worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:50 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
What we have here is a boat load of opinions without any scientific backbone.
Yours included, right ? If anyone is changing synthetic every 5000 miles, they're wasting money. Synthetic Oil Life Study

i would be weary of using synthetic oil with flat tappet cams i have heard very bad things about them
The critical time with a flat tappet cam is break-in. Many cam manufacturers have either a break-in oil they recommend or an additive that must be used during cam break-in. Once the cam is broken in, there's really not anything to worry about. We break-in our flat tappet race engines with synthetic and a ZDDP additive and don't have any issues with cam wear. The zinc/phosphorus does provide the necessary lubricity for cam break-in, but it causes catalytic converters to fail over time.

Where can I get Wix filters?
NAPA and CarQuest brand filters are re-labeled Wix filters.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,226 Likes on 805 Posts
Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006
Yours included, right ? If anyone is changing synthetic every 5000 miles, they're wasting money. Synthetic Oil Life Study

The critical time with a flat tappet cam is break-in. Many cam manufacturers have either a break-in oil they recommend or an additive that must be used during cam break-in. Once the cam is broken in, there's really not anything to worry about. We break-in our flat tappet race engines with synthetic and a ZDDP additive and don't have any issues with cam wear. The zinc/phosphorus does provide the necessary lubricity for cam break-in, but it causes catalytic converters to fail over time.

NAPA and CarQuest brand filters are re-labeled Wix filters.
Wow, fantastic response and a great link too! Thanks. As I've stated before, Coast Guard aircraft use mobil 1 synthetic. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles using mobil 1 super syn and have never had any issues of any kind and I actually change my filters at the 6000 mile point and then top off as needed which is more stringent than the lab test.

If anyone wants to crawl under thier vehicle every 3000-4000 miles or pay someone in equal intervals then have at it. Your wasting your time and money. But hey, peace of mind is priceless.

Tim

Tim

Old 03-04-2009, 06:42 PM
nnero
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not know that. I guess i wont use Fram filters anymore though, just from what people have said. I will do some research when i have more time

Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tseekins
Wow, fantastic response and a great link too! Thanks. As I've stated before, Coast Guard aircraft use mobil 1 synthetic. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles using mobil 1 super syn and have never had any issues of any kind and I actually change my filters at the 6000 mile point and then top off as needed which is more stringent than the lab test.

If anyone wants to crawl under thier vehicle every 3000-4000 miles or pay someone in equal intervals then have at it. Your wasting your time and money. But hey, peace of mind is priceless.

Tim

Tim

Peace of mind and preventive maint! Change oil often is cheaper in surance then a new motor later on down the road plug it will last longer generally speaking.

Originally Posted by nnero
I did not know that. I guess i wont use Fram filters anymore though, just from what people have said. I will do some research when i have more time
The more exspensive fram filters are ok and they dotn have cardboard in them either. However the run on the mill fram filters are complete crap.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Newcomer
Elder User
I always used the better quality stuff, I dont really know if I am wasting my money and I dont really care, cause nothing has broken down yet, and as one guy said, you cant put a price on peace of mind.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I had a older Ranger that had some oil leaks, when I changed to the high mileage castrol the leaks seemed to just about quit.........Maybe some additive to swell seals in it?.

How about switching from conventional oil to synthetic? anything to look out for on a truck that has run its whole life on conventional oil?.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qman
What does zinc do?
zinc acts as a cushon between the camshaft and the lifters mainly but also cushons all of the bearings and metal on metal moving parts in the engine, the old GM EOS has the perfect amount of zinc to break in a flat tappet cam when added to any oil but the new stuff is junk because of the government regulations, now you can only get a good amount of zinc in your oil if you buy racing oil (pricy cause it says racing) or if you buy diesil oil for tractor trailers or oil for farm equipment (we have a farm so we buy that)

if you try breaking in a new cam and lifter set with regular oil and no additives chances are pretty good the cam will wipe a lobe or two off before your done breaking it in and if not in the first 1,000 miles

Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Old93junk
How about switching from conventional oil to synthetic? anything to look out for on a truck that has run its whole life on conventional oil?.
leakage from around the seals. The sysn cleans areas where the conven doesn't so you might get a few leaks due to different chems and what not but thats about it. You might not get any but I would expect it.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006
what kind of spring pressures are you running i have had the problem with really high spring pressures (around 400lbs open) with solid lifter cams that you need to keep running zinc or it will wipe the cam

Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
what kind of spring pressures are you running i have had the problem with really high spring pressures (around 400lbs open) with solid lifter cams that you need to keep running zinc or it will wipe the cam
Off the top of my head I'm thinking in the 600 lb range at full lift, but we're also using a tool steel for the cam material, which is probably much harder than most street cams and would resist wear a lot better. The stock cam in my truck seems to be holding up fine with normal 10W30 at 185000 miles, though, so I dunno...

Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
lol i doubt you have 400lbs open spring pressure on your stock cam in your truck but yeah if your not running what i consider high spring pressures with a flat tappet cam then the regular oil is probably good, 600lbs spring pressure is roller cam range why are you using a flat tappet? is it to fit into a class for racing? what class do you run and how much hp are you making?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:51 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Milwaukee1979F150
Don't think use Lucas in winter or you be rebuilt engine after use that.
why not? ill be using 10w-30 rotellaT diesel oil 5quarts and 1 quart of lucas...lucas isnt that thick...well the stops leaks stuff is but just the regular old lucas addative isnt much thicker then a 15w-40 engine oil and it helps stop leaks and consumption and it does work...good too especially with diesel oils

Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 9.ford.5
why not? ill be using 10w-30 rotellaT diesel oil 5quarts and 1 quart of lucas...lucas isnt that thick...well the stops leaks stuff is but just the regular old lucas addative isnt much thicker then a 15w-40 engine oil and it helps stop leaks and consumption and it does work...good too especially with diesel oils

Have you thought buy 2 10w30 no synthetic just regular.
Then put one in outside or something is very cold and put one in house where warm room is.

Then next day check which one moving fast and which one not moving fast like honey.

That why I don't feel it good idea use lucas in winter but I would use in summer where it warm.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:41 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
600lbs spring pressure is roller cam range why are you using a flat tappet? is it to fit into a class for racing? what class do you run and how much hp are you making?
Sprint Cup, close to 850 peak HP. We have to run a flat tappet in cup, although the Nationwide does run a roller cam.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:11 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,226 Likes on 805 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
I had a older Ranger that had some oil leaks, when I changed to the high mileage castrol the leaks seemed to just about quit.........Maybe some additive to swell seals in it?.

Synthetic and conventional oils are completely interchangable at any time. I would not mix them at home thinking your getting a "semi-syn" like motorcraft oil. Synthetic oils causing engine leaks is an urban legand. Any high detergent oil has the perpencity cause this to happen. I've been using using the Mobiil 1 in my new cars starting form the first oil change, no leaks in 15 years.

Tim

Quick Reply: Is high mileage oil worth it?