Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Is high mileage oil worth it? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/827596-is-high-mileage-oil-worth-it.html)

nnero 03-03-2009 11:52 AM

Is high mileage oil worth it?

My truck has 209,xxx miles on it. I have alwyas used Castrol GTX high mileage oil. Do the "benefits" of this oil actually make a difference or am I just wasting my money. I also use a Fram Tough Guard oil filter, am I wasting money here as well? I am NOT complaining about paying extra money for quality stuff. I would just like to know people's opinions and suggestions on this matter.

tseekins 03-03-2009 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by nnero (Post 7214563)
My truck has 209,xxx miles on it. I have alwyas used Castrol GTX high mileage oil. Do the "benefits" of this oil actually make a difference or am I just wasting my money. I also use a Fram Tough Guard oil filter, am I wasting money here as well? I am NOT complaining about paying extra money for quality stuff. I would just like to know people's opinions and suggestions on this matter.

It seems to me that since you have over 200k on the clock, you've done something right.

We all have strong opinions about oil and filters. They all seem to work.

Tim

Lazy K 03-03-2009 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 7214842)
It seems to me that since you have over 200k on the clock, you've done something right.

We all have strong opinions about oil and filters. They all seem to work.

Tim

I agree with that. For what it`s worth I am of the opinion that no-one ever lost anything by buying quality oil and no-one (except car stealerships) ever saved anything by buying cheap oil.

qman 03-03-2009 02:40 PM

It is my opinion that you are probably wasting your money? I have 195Kmi on my truck and I use $3 Motorcraft filters from Walmart and 69 cent quarts of oil. I make no claims to know anything about oil and as a matter of fact, when it comes to the science of oil, I know absolutely nothing.

It's just that I've known folks that didn't make routine oil changes and ended up killing engines in the 30-50Kmi range and since I do routine oil changes and have many many many miles on all of my rigs, then that must be all that matters. My vehicles have 275, 194, 180, 135, and 145 Kmi on them. The only time I had a dead car it was the trans. And that was because the shope that did trans changes for me didn't clean out the pan.

Again, it is only my opinion.

lew52 03-03-2009 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by nnero (Post 7214563)

I use the Castrol GTX HM oil and it works good for me...I have tried some others but came back to it...I would not use the fram filter....They are very poor filters..... Mobile 1 & K&N are some of the best... Along with motorcraft & Wix....You can check it out on line..The company honeywell that makes the fram filter is rated the worst... There main bussiness is AC filters & insulation...Not automotive,,,

tseekins 03-03-2009 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by lew52 (Post 7215317)
I use the Castrol GTX HM oil and it works good for me...I have tried some others but came back to it...I would not use the fram filter....They are very poor filters..... Mobile 1 & K&N are some of the best... Along with motorcraft & Wix....You can check it out on line..The company honeywell that makes the fram filter is rated the worst... There main bussiness is AC filters & insulation...Not automotive,,,

I use mobil 1 oil exclusively and have been for 15 years, but I've read numerous reports that mobil filters are the worst. I stick with motorcraft filters.

Tim

lew52 03-03-2009 04:13 PM

I have never heard any thing bad about a mobile 1 filter..Motorcraft is made buy purolator witch is good & made for fords...Champion labs makes mobil 1 & k& N & amsoil..They rate the best....I dont think you can go wrong with any of them...But the motorcraft filters seem to be the best choice for ford motors,...

nnero 03-03-2009 04:17 PM

I will keep on doing the same thing but will looking into a different filter. I always used motorcraft filters before Fram anways

dhag911 03-03-2009 04:23 PM

i use to run regular quaker state oil and a motorcraft filter use to have to add one quart between oil changes and then when it got to add again it was time to change the oil. I switched to quaker state high milage and the dipstick never reads add and i still use the motorcraft filter since it is made by ford

EPNCSU2006 03-03-2009 04:53 PM

I've read numerous reports that mobil filters are the worst
Any links? I'm curious to see because the Mobil1/K&N filters (they have the same internals) I researched for work have some of the best filtration efficiency ratings of any I've seen.

I'm not knocking the Motorcraft filters by any means, but just because they have Ford stamped on the side of them doesn't mean that they are made by Ford. They are likely made by Champion Labs, who makes several brands of filters, including M1 and K&N.

tseekins 03-03-2009 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006 (Post 7215819)
Any links? I'm curious to see because the Mobil1/K&N filters (they have the same internals) I researched for work have some of the best filtration efficiency ratings of any I've seen.

I'm not knocking the Motorcraft filters by any means, but just because they have Ford stamped on the side of them doesn't mean that they are made by Ford. They are likely made by Champion Labs, who makes several brands of filters, including M1 and K&N.

I ran into any oil filter study on line, I can't remember exactly where. Sorry for that, I should be able to back up my opinion but I can't. Anyway, it didn't have much good to say about Fram or Mobil filters, citing poor quality backflow prevention valves. As for actual filtration, I'm not certain.

I always used Fram filters until a couple of years ago, then I read this study by accident. I then started using a variety of filters such as Mobil, Purolator, Napa and Motorcraft. The Motorcraft filters are available at Wally world where I buy my oil anyway so I stuck with them.

Tim

1994 F250: 351, C6 03-03-2009 06:17 PM

All the oil you are going to find in the store meets or exceeds minimum API standards, just look for the seal on the bottle. That being said, I still stick with name brands, Quaker State, Penzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Motorcraft, etc. Some of that no-name brand stuff is sketchy, Wal-Mart had problems with some Super-Tech gear oil that was not up to specs a while back. Personally I use Quaker State High Mileage 10W-30 and Motorcraft filters in both of my rigs. Do not use full-synthetic in older molders either, it will leak.

ssquints999 03-03-2009 07:23 PM

i use valvoline max life and wix filters. my step grandpa has always used max life and has a 70s chevy van with 416,000 miles on the original motor, a 1977 f250 with 310,000 on original motor and trans and other grandpa on the dads side has a 95 dodge 1500 with 426,000 with max life original motor and trans. so i think it's worth the money. conventional valvoline in the cougar

1994 F250: 351, C6 03-03-2009 07:57 PM

426,000 on a Dodge Tranny? Damn, that's a combination of regular service, gentle driving, and pure luck!

ssquints999 03-03-2009 08:30 PM

maintenance is a religious practice of his