Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is high mileage oil worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 PM
truckertom21
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've always heard that it dosent matter what you use just as long as you change your oil every 3,000 miles...i'm useing the shucks cheapo stuff and a fram filter...although for more hi po motor's i use the good stuff, i know it seems a bit dubble standerd but hey i wanna protect the stuff i put into it also the good stuff gives you a bit more HP too

Old 03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
fishforlife2007
Elder User
Originally Posted by truckertom21
i'm useing the shucks cheapo stuff and a fram filter...although for more hi po motor's i use the good stuff, i know it seems a bit dubble standerd but hey i wanna protect the stuff i put into it also the good stuff gives you a bit more HP too
so why dont you put the "good stuff" in your truck also if you know that it is better for it?
I use amsoil with a K&N filter, and the 4.9 runs like a top!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Oil I think doesn't matter as much anymore as it used to except when it comes to dino oil vs. synthetic. Mobil 1 synthetic is the best oil you can put in your truck IMO. I don't think you're wasting your money buying a good dino oil, but I don't know what benefits high mileage oil REALLY gives you. There are so many variable that go into how long a motor lasts that I don't think anyone will ever be able to say for sure one is better than another.

Oil filters are a different story though. Fram filters are nothing but junk. I would never even consider running one. They have the smallest surface area of any filter on the market, they use cardboard inside where other filters use metal and they have no anti-drainback valve, which is crucial on a straight six motor because the oil will drain out of the filter overnight without on.

There is an oil filter survey out there, and a great article on oil. A google search should easily turn both articles up.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
my truck had 324000 km when i switched to penzoil high mileage with a penzoil filter and it didnt help any then i went to mobil 1 synthetic with a wix filter and it almost seems to have went downhill i add way to much so this oil change this weekend im goin to rotella T diesel oil with the wix filter and 1qt. of lucas oil addative that lucas is good stuff thick as hell too

Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Oil filter information FL 820s, but check it out.

FL-820S Oil Filter Alternatives

Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 PM
big_ford_rednek
Senior User
i just use 15 -40 in the summer because we get it in balk and it is just cenex oil winter time is 10-30 and it drips a bit, but thats because i need to replace my oil pan gasket. never heard good things from penzoil. same with fram filters. they also seem to stick the rubber gasket to the block a lot more which creates a HUGE mess because it will blow out if you dont catch it then you gotta add 5 more quarts. i usually use wix or motorcraft oil filters. never had a problem with em yet

Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 9.ford.5
my truck had 324000 km when i switched to penzoil high mileage with a penzoil filter and it didnt help any then i went to mobil 1 synthetic with a wix filter and it almost seems to have went downhill i add way to much so this oil change this weekend im goin to rotella T diesel oil with the wix filter and 1qt. of lucas oil addative that lucas is good stuff thick as hell too

Don't think use Lucas in winter or you be rebuilt engine after use that.

For me I hate high mileage oil it seem they cause oil pressure problem on Chevy 350 that so clean but with that oil it cause tick but good oil pressure.

For me I use Kendall synthetic or supertech oil for worn out engine and castroal synthetic or good brand for new engine like 351W.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 AM
truckertom21
Junior User
Originally Posted by fishforlife2007
so why dont you put the "good stuff" in your truck also if you know that it is better for it?
I use amsoil with a K&N filter, and the 4.9 runs like a top!
my truck = $400 total
the car i'm talking about father son project = priceless

also money is an issue, i dont have enough to put the $5/quart stuff into my truck, but once i rebuild the 300 then yah ill be puting that good stuff into it

Old 03-04-2009, 05:00 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,233 Likes on 809 Posts
Originally Posted by 1994 F250: 351, C6
All the oil you are going to find in the store meets or exceeds minimum API standards, just look for the seal on the bottle. That being said, I still stick with name brands, Quaker State, Penzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Motorcraft, etc. Some of that no-name brand stuff is sketchy, Wal-Mart had problems with some Super-Tech gear oil that was not up to specs a while back. Personally I use Quaker State High Mileage 10W-30 and Motorcraft filters in both of my rigs. Do not use full-synthetic in older molders either, it will leak.
Click on Mobil1.com. It is an interesting web site. Granted, the tests and videos are done by mobil employees, but so were Ford F-150 road tests that we all raved about.

Tim

Old 03-04-2009, 05:06 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,233 Likes on 809 Posts
Originally Posted by truckertom21
my truck = $400 total
the car i'm talking about father son project = priceless

also money is an issue, i dont have enough to put the $5/quart stuff into my truck, but once i rebuild the 300 then yah ill be puting that good stuff into it
I hear ya loud and clear. That's exactly one of the reasons I use Mobil1 extended service fully synthetic is because of cost and less maintanence. I change the oil annually or at 12k for a grand total of under $43.00 per year. That's a filter change every 6000 miles and a qt of oil to top it off.

Tim

Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Country705
Elder User
I myself use Quaker State 10W30 with slick50 have been using it for about 3 and a half years in everything that i drive and my trucks have yet to fail me. I was always told since i was a boy that if you take care of your truck it will take care of you i do routine maintence on my truck and it show's. I also Use everything motorcraft on my maintence when its a ford. just my .02 hope it helps

Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 AM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What we have here is a boat load of opinions without any scientific backbone. Like I said in my post, I use .69 cent a quart oil and have never had any kind of oil related problem what so ever. I spend all my time and money fixing all the other stuff that wears out on the ole rig.

No doubt synthetic oil is the best thing there is but you still have to keep it clean and if it gets dirty you have to change it. That's why I don't use it. I don't want to replace $40 in oil out of my truck evry 5000 miles. I'd rather drain out $5 worth. I'd only consider doing it if I was gonna do the Amsoil bypass filter and only replace a quart and filter every change. The thing that keeps me going in that direction is the initial cost. For the initial $200 to get started, I can put oil in my rig for years.

Click and Clack said the very same thing someone here did. Today's cheapest oils far exceep the API standards set forth for your engine when it was made. I have a neighbor with 270Kmi on his ole 72 Chevy Van. He's always used Fram filters and Penzoil and his truck starts right up every morning no matter how cold or hot it is. He drove it from Colorado to Alaska and back summer. He always greases everything under the rig every oil change and his steering parts are still tight as a drum.

I'm gonna guess that folks who change their oil regularly don't have lubrication failures in their engines, no matter what kind of oil they use.

I've only knows two people who didn't know they were supposed to change oil routinely. One was a relative and had to replace the engine in his 82 Volvo after a few years. He changes oil religously now. The other was my mother in law that had an old Rambler. She looked like Columbo and drove that car for years. One day she took it in to a mechanic for some TLC since "it had been a while". Something like 10 years. I wasn't there but she says that he told her when he pulled the drain plug out a few drops of what looked like molasses came out. He asked her when was the last time she changed the oil. She responded "do what?" He did some maintenance and sent her on her way.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:12 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
i would be weary of using synthetic oil with flat tappet cams i have heard very bad things about them

i use valvoline racing oil in my t-bird because of the added zinc

if it wern't for tree huggers we could have zinc in our oil and not have to worry about wiping a new camshaft

i run high zinc tractor oil in my truck with a wix filter

Old 03-04-2009, 02:48 PM
qman
Cargo Master
What does zinc do?

Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
nnero
Elder User
Where can I get Wix filters? Maybe I will check some shops in town. I think it is worth it to keep using the same oil since I have been very happy with it. Changing the oil is my favorite thing to do. I love how new oil looks.

Quick Reply: Is high mileage oil worth it?